cone filter??

i'm a little low on money and want a little sound to my engine. so i was thinking of just putting a filter, i searched but really didnt answer my questions. if i buy the filter do i just make a hole on the plastic part of the filter and put the sensor there? would i have any problems doing it this way? some opinions on people that have just put the filter would be nice. also how would gas usage be with putting just the filter? thanks:eek:

WTF??? R u telling me your gonna take off the stock intake and just put a filter with the Mass Air Flow Sensor on the throttle body? WTF r u smoking man? Just buy a Injen CAI or a AEM shortram intake. Don't go all Ghetto style on us here, if u wanna add alittle sound and make your engine breath easier and have a better throttle responce then save up some money and get a Injen CAI if u don't wanan save $$$ for a CAI then get a AEM Short ram intake

what i think he means is he is going to take off the box and hook up a cone to the MAF. But he dosent know what to do with the little sensor in the box.

If that is what u meant then you have to make an adapter out of metal to hold up the MAF, then you can stick the cone on. For the sensor just buy a 3" piece of plastic tube and stick it on the MAF and drill a hole in it (plastic u got) and stick the sensor in that.

Thats what I did and it worked great. If you have any other questions ill try to answer.

To tell you the truth i didn't notice much if any difference in power when I put in my Injen CAI.

Gas mileage will increase or stay the same, cause you're opening up the air flow.

bryan

Last edited:
smithers_0990 said:
what i think he means is he is going to take off the box and hook up a cone to the MAF. But he dosent know what to do with the little sensor in the box.

If that is what u meant then you have to make an adapter out of metal to hold up the MAF, then you can stick the cone on. For the sensor just buy a 3" piece of plastic tube and stick it on the MAF and drill a hole in it (plastic u got) and stick the sensor in that.

Thats what I did and it worked great. If you have any other questions ill try to answer.

To tell you the truth i didn't notice much if any difference in power when I put in my Injen CAI.

Gas mileage will increase or stay the same, cause you're opening up the air flow.

bryan

thats exactly what i meant to do... what did u exactly buy and where did u buy it so i know exactly what to get.. i got the filter already just need to know the rest of the supplies please.. clamps, pipe, etc....

yeah, i simply left it in the bottom of the stock air box section. I plan to drill a small home in the back of the cone filter & push the MAS in there.
but i've had no problems running it like it is!
the sound is great. good cheap mod
cheers
Bloke

Over all you will need two clamps and a plastic tube. The plastic tube is about 6in long and 3" in Dia. The difficult part is finding it. I got mine from a local hardwear store, but when i went back to find one for a friend it was not there anymore. Another way of hooking it all up is just stick it on the MAF (only one clamp needed) and just zip tie the little sensor to something near by. I did that for a few weeks untill I could find that tube. Had no problems that way either. Your CEL might go on it if you unplug the sensor, but it goes off after a little bit of driving.

I think that's it. Good luck.

what would be the difference between me making a hole in the filter and putting the sensor in there, compared to getting a piece of pipe and making a hole in placing it in there?

nothin mate, thats what i am doing, and it will work just fine. my car is runnign great right now, & the MAS is simply sitting in the bottom of the lower air box!

Bloke said:
nothin mate, thats what i am doing, and it will work just fine. my car is runnign great right now, & the MAS is simply sitting in the bottom of the lower air box!
good look, thanks for helping out new sitemembers!!

mazdarx7power said:
what would be the difference between me making a hole in the filter and putting the sensor in there, compared to getting a piece of pipe and making a hole in placing it in there?
ok listen this is what i did i bought a cone filter like you did right righ and then the o2 sensor i drilled the right size whole of the sensor and do you know the lil rubber peice that the o2 sensor pplugs into the stock air boz i took that off and put that in the hole that i had drilled and put it in and took off the air filter silencer the big long thing on the top and the box looks sweet until i get the cold air intake for it but thats how i did mine(yellowp5)

Back