components + sub powered by 2 channel amp?

disdorkching

:
p5 2002
Can i power a sub and a pair of compnents on a 2 channel amp? somehow 1 channel devoted to the sub and the other split the wire running from that into 2 ?

Umm. Most amplifiers allow for tri-way setups where you run the amp in stereo for the components but essentially bridged for the subwoofer. This requires a tri-way adapter which is basically a glorified crossover. This is not a recommended setup because it ties in your sub to your components. If you turn one up, you turn the other up. Most people need more bass than treble to account for road noise so even though this option will work I do not recommend it.

What amp did you have in mind (brand/model)? Is there any reason you can't simply purchase a second amp or a 4-channel amp?

the thing is that I had the 2 channel amp and a sub for a year or so but just got a set of components asa gift. I would rather not have to buy another amp if I could power the components with the same amp. If I wanted to do that, are there any special requirements that I should look out for? It's a U.s. Acoustics usb 2100

Last edited:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zj0acIo7XSy/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=127TM100

you can buy that, but it's not tailored for your system. or you could build your own:

image43.gif

or you could build 3-way x-overs and use 2 subs, so each has it's own channel.

I'm pretty sure that there isn't a bracket sold on the market to convert 6x8 to 6.5 because it is not a perfect fit. The bracket you make out of MDF using a jig saw and dril ends up being slightly larger than the original speaker. This means you have to trim some of the plastic off the inner door panel to account for things. Its pretty easy. I'd dig up the info but you can use the search feature as well as I can. Try searching for "6.5 speaker baffle".

Interesting...although I think the basket of the 6.5" driver may overhang the baffle slightly on the top and bottom.

Back