components install

disdorkching

:
p5 2002
I know this may seem like an obvious question but it just dawned on me, for component speakers, where do you wire the crossover in? don't you just unclip the wiring from the stock speaker and plug it into the new speaker and then the same for the installing the tweeter? but then how would the crossover be wired in?

NO, definately don't wire them thatway. THe most drop-in-firnedly method would be to wire the crossover inot where your factory speaker was and then from there run seperate NEW wires to the mid and tweeter.

Does that mean I have to use everything new wires? how will the speakers get signal from the HU, or if possible how would i wire these if you could tell me.

thanks

oh also i do not plan on wiring the crossover into an amp i planned on just giving them power from the HU for now and see how they sound. wiring from the amp i could see how to setup everything but since im just powering it off the hu what do i do?

thanks

Assuming you are installing the crossover in the door just below the window controls...

1)Disconnect the factory woofer and tweeter.
2)Clip off the wiring harness for the woofer with wire cutters (leave enough wire on the harness so you can reconnect it later if necessary).
3)Attach a piece of speaker wire to those wires and pull it through a spare hole in the frame of the door and attach it to the crossover input terminals.
4)Attach another piece of speaker wire to the crossover woofer output terminals and pull it through a spare hole in the frame of the door and place wire terminators on it so you can quickly plug in the new woofer.
5) If the tweeter has speaker wire attached to it's leads then simply connect them to the crossover tweeter output teriminals, otherwise use another piece of speaker wire. You don't have to run this wire through the inside of the door.
6) Secure all wires with electrical tape so they do not vibrate against the door or door panel when you put everything back together.

thanks alot, it makes alot of sense now except one more question, what does the cross over do then? if the tweeters aren't attatched to it? I have the 2002 p5 with the tweeters on the mirror pannel so i will only be connecting the speaker to the crossover? or what will be the effect for attatching the new woofer straight to the stock harness? if that is so then what is the purpose of the crossover being only attatched to the speaker?thanks again for the help

Your question is clearly answered in step 5 of my last post but I think you are confusing yourself.

The factory tweeter just uses a capacitor to high-pass the signal. The stock woofer gets a full range signal. This is a poor design but it works ok for low power levels.

With an aftermarket component set you have a crossover, a woofer, and a tweeter.
The crossover has one input and two outputs (one for the tweeter and one for the woofer). As I mentioned in the instructions above you connect the input terminals of the crossover to the stock wires that were originally for the woofer (a full range signal). The crossover then splits that signal and sends high frequencies to your new tweeter and low frequencies to your new woofer. You do not use the stock tweeter or the wires leading up to the stock tweeter.

I don't know how I can explain it any better.

Back