Compared to new 09 Matrix and Vibe

Raymo853

:
2010 Mazda 3 Sport Five Door 6 speed
How well do you think the current Mazda 3 will do versus the just arriving 09 Matrix and Vibe? The marketing and design target was the current 3 hatchback. I have not driven either yet, but got to sit and poke around one of each at the Wash DC auto show.

The interior of both the twins are about the same. Less sporty but larger than the 3. However just like the last Vibe/Matrix, when I am in the driver's seat I feel too surrounded by things. Having the hard plastic cargo and rear seatbacks are a big plus.

The outside of the Matrix looks so bad with all its fake air dams and such. The outside of the Vibe looks much better when you get the single colour instead of the lower gray stuff.

I think the 3 does fine vs. the Vibe/Trix. The only thing I really see as a large bonus for the twins is AWD, but I think its only paired with a AT.

I think the 3 does fine vs. the Vibe/Trix. The only thing I really see as a large bonus for the twins is AWD, but I think its only paired with a AT.

The AWD is only with the auto 4 speed, for now. I read soon the AWD will be offered with the other tranny choices, 5 speed auto and 5 speed manual.

The Matrix and Vibe are now more competitive with the Mazda 3, but I think the 3 can still hold its own. The 3 is also an 04 model car.
I still think we beat the Matrix/Vibe in the looks department. I recently saw these vehicles at the Edmonton Motor Show and their interiors are still lacking behind the 3.
Other things that I noticed is the Matrix/Vibe ride height is much higher than the 3. I've parked beside a 1st gen Matrix and was surprised at how it made my 3 look so short.
I also hate the Matrix shifter position. That is probably what I dislike the most.
Don't forget you can get AWD Axelas in Japan.

The AWD is only with the auto 4 speed, for now. I read soon the AWD will be offered with the other tranny choices, 5 speed auto and 5 speed manual.

We just got 2 last week in the showroom; a base with the 1.8 and a GT w/5spd and 18"s. They look pretty good, I haven't had a chance to drive one yet, but I will. (lol2)

Last edited:
you can factory order the awd in auto, but they don't traditionally sell as well.
We just got 2 last week in the showroom; a base with the 1.8 and a GT w/5spd and 18"s. They look pretty good, I haven't had a chance to drive one yet, but I will. (lol2)

Are the 2.4L models shipping yet?

I stand corrected, i just talked to the guy who factory orders our vehicles. the awd only comes with the 2.4 and auto tranny, since the awd is an electronic torque management system. I think we just sold our first one and it's an AWD that we're swapping. I've got the base model sitting right next to my desk. pics to be posted.

Here's the base model, I'll post up about th3 GT when I get a chance

Attachments

• base 09 vibe.JPG
    base 09 vibe.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 217
imo the twins have finally caught up with the 3. BUT the 3 is supposed to undergo a new model in 09/10 so once again they will be playing catch up. i do like the new twins though. i did sit in one & like the old ones, all the surroundings just annoys me.

Regardless I am looking forward to test driving both a Matrix and a Vibe in the 2.4 five speed form. After that I have to wait and test drive the new Jetta Wagon and then decided between those three and a 3.

I found the new GT, apparently it only took 1 day for it to sell. it didn't even make it to the showroom!

Attachments

• 09 vibe gt pass side.JPG
    09 vibe gt pass side.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 220
  • vibe gt rear.JPG
    vibe gt rear.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 217
SlowPro, could you check the Vibe for something for me? Do those mirrors fold in? According to Mazda's comparison info they do not. May seem trivial, but living in a city makes that omission close to a deal killer for me.

Their own sub-brand, the Scion tC, will be their worst competition unless for those who have to have a 5 door wagon or AWD.
The tC is cheaper, looks better, handles better, have more HP with the same 2.4 liter displacement (160 vs 158).
But I do see this 09 Matrix giving the Suzuki SX-4 wagon a run for its money.
It's just slightly more expensive than the AWD SX-4 but offer a whole lot more.

SlowPro, could you check the Vibe for something for me? Do those mirrors fold in? According to Mazda's comparison info they do not. May seem trivial, but living in a city makes that omission close to a deal killer for me.

I found out from the Generation Vibe folks that the mirrors do fold on the new Vibe.

Their own sub-brand, the Scion tC, will be their worst competition unless for those who have to have a 5 door wagon or AWD.
The tC is cheaper, looks better, handles better, have more HP with the same 2.4 liter displacement (160 vs 158).
But I do see this 09 Matrix giving the Suzuki SX-4 wagon a run for its money.
It's just slightly more expensive than the AWD SX-4 but offer a whole lot more.

When I first read your post I assumed you mean the xB, but I see you mean the tC. The tC and Matrix/Vibe so have such different target markets. I can see the xB being a consideration for some considering the Matrix. To say the tC looks better than the Matrix/Vibe is daft, but I hate coupes with few reservations.

BTW, the Mazda 3 & Subi Impreza 5 doors are what NUMMI considers as the main competitor to the Vibe/Matrix.

When I first read your post I assumed you mean the xB, but I see you mean the tC. The tC and Matrix/Vibe so have such different target markets. I can see the xB being a consideration for some considering the Matrix. To say the tC looks better than the Matrix/Vibe is daft, but I hate coupes with few reservations.

BTW, the Mazda 3 & Subi Impreza 5 doors are what NUMMI considers as the main competitor to the Vibe/Matrix.

I was using the tC as a comparison cause both cars target young buyers.

BTW, Is Mazda3 5dr setting the trend or what? All Vibe, Impreza 5 drs, and the infiniti ex35 have the C & D pillars and the third windows looking like the Mazda3 5 dr.

2chrv6d.jpg

a8eio.jpg

29ey6e.jpg

2d9s5ld.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, Is Mazda3 5dr setting the trend or what? All Vibe, Impreza 5 drs, and the infiniti ex35 have the C & D pillars and the third windows looking like the Mazda3 5 dr.

I have noticed that trend with C/D pillars and disappearing/shrinking cargo area windows, and I hate it. Even things like the RAV4 have done it. I assume it is a way car markers thinks makes wagons and SUVs look less like classic wagons. I personally like the look of wagons and would rather have the biggest windows possible so I can see out of the car easier.

I was using the tC as a comparison cause both cars target young buyers.

2chrv6d.jpg

a8eio.jpg

29ey6e.jpg

2d9s5ld.jpg

Only one flaw in this argument: the 2003 Vibe had the same rear window shape. So if anything the Vibe was the trend-setter. In some applications it's just an exaggerated variant of BMW's traditional kink. In which case BMW is the trend-setter. And no doubt about that one.

Back