Come one, Come all, gander at my new moneypit of a P5!

Nocturin

Hey guys, I've been stalking the forum for a little bit since I knew I was getting my P5. I'm having difficulties figuring out a few things that ya'll might be able to help with. As I learn and build on my n00b car knowledge, I'll be able to contribute more :). Came from a Honda love affair (CRX will always have a soft spot in my heart), but now I've got a mazda mistress (kiss).

First things first though, I had this same issue with my CRX, I don't know exactly what trim/engine and all that jazz my car actually is. According to my insurance paperwork by VIN, it's a 2002 Mazda Protege 5SPD. It does have some "Limited edition" stitched into the seats, and the seats are leather w/yellow inserts. I'll get a photo of them later.

It's a little dirty, paint's not terrible but not great (still needs some tender loving and I haven't had the hours to do it yet). Here's the link to the rest of the album: Noc's P5.

HR87bnzh.jpg

ser9BsAh.jpg

Now to my quandry.

I've got three major things that need to get done soon, and many little things, and I'll kinda use this thread as a place to document the work I've done. I've found various threads around that address each issue (kinda), but none really go into detail about how to do these things.

• Motor Mounts - Passenger's Destroyed
  • Suspension - springs/struts and endlinks (clunking?)
  • Valve Cover Gasket (leaking oil into the spark plug well)
  • Head gasket
  • Air Filter/ Intake / exhaust (there's a weird steady hiss and I don't know why)
  • A/C needs a fixing before next summer

What's been done so far:

After a spririted driving session weekend before last (had only owned car the for 3 days) I caused a misfire in CYL 1. The oil had gotten so hot that it had started to foam and pushed the piston into the spark-plug. Replaced all 4 and changed the oil the next day. Replacement plugs were NGK Iridium. When I pulled the spark plug in CYL 1, there was oil/gas in the cyl, when I pulled the one to the right (cyl 3?), there was a TON (1/2 of a cup) of oil which led me to believe that I need to replace the valve cover gasket because there's no smoke coming out the exhaust but oil in the spark-plug wells.

I got lucky that I didn't blow the engine, the night I was limping home I had two things going through my mind:

"I Love this CAR!"
"I hope I didn't lose compression in that cyl."

It also has a steady hiss that I can stop if I take the air filter off and plug the intake with my hand, but as soon as the engine starts breathing again the hiss comes back. No idea what this is and it scares me alittle. Just the repairs alone that I have planned next weekend are going to be a couple hundo.

I'm going to change the oil again next weekend and start with a synthetic blend to start seeing how bad the engine's seals are.

Motor Mounts:
So far it seems I have these options:
  • CS Inserts
  • AWR Inserts
  • AWR Full Mount
  • 3M WW Filling

From what I've been able to garner after the past few days of research, the only mount that really needs to be replaced is my passenger side mount (pictures of all mounts in the gallery). I'm confused as to how to actually perform this service. Just remove the cross member under the engine and use a floor-jack to slightly jack up the engine to get the tension off of the broken mount then just remove the bolts?
Can someone help me find a pic-by-pic or a video of the passenger mount replacement. From what I gather, I need to replace the mount and use the CS inserts along with the new "stock" mount.

The driverside/trans mount and the front mount still look to be intact, so that's what I was thinking about the 3M WW. From what I understand, I don't need to remove them to "fill" them because they aren't falling apart. So I need to get a tube and gun for this and just fill it that way?

If I wanted to go with the AWR full mount, where could I find just the passenger mount? I don't have the $400 to drop on a whole new set of mounts and I want to keep the stock ride "quality". There's already more than enough vibration in the cab, and through the shifter. I just don't want the engine to jump around when I romp on it (which I do... hard...)

...to be continued

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like me and my experience! Ha I bought mine and had to replace the battery hours later when it died in traffic. That weekend found out I had a bad wheel bearing, and a couple weeks after that my alternator seized up shredding my belt and requiring a rebuild. And getting it towed from work. Since then I've replaced the other wheel bearing (and both of them a second time), replaced my valve cover gasket, fixed my shattered midpipe exhaust leak and P0421 CEL (with a header), and now I'm preparing to do a complete suspension overhaul since I have only one (maybe two) good struts. Oh, and my brakes and tires.

So you're not alone when it comes to moneypit P5's.

As for what trim/engine you have, all P5's came with a 2.0, and unless there was a special package that I don't know about for 02 they all came in one trim. I thought the limited edition package only came in 03 with the leather and I don't remember them having colored inserts, so it's probably an aftermarket kit that you have for your seats. I'm sure they look good though!

Thanks!

Glad to be here!

There are weird noises and other odd things that I haven't even started to think about less I give myself a heart attack. Luckily, this board has been a great resource and I'll end up collecting a lot of information about the options out there, especially when it comes to the suspension pieces.

This little P5 is so much fun to drive, almost as fun as my CRX, but the stuff like the dual-tipped exhaust when the back bumper fits a single really bothers me. The guy I bought it from has had it for 140k miles, so I don't think these were things that he added or changed. Tranny was bought and replaced about 10k miles ago, thankfully that and the engine are in tremendous shape (except for the oil leak from the valve gasket ... and my spark-plug mishap).

I'd of preferred it if the 1st owner kept the original seats and exhaust. I like my cars stock(ish), clean, and stealthy. What can't be seen will eventually be balls-to-the walls, though. There's yellow "carbon fiber" inserts in the dash, around the shifter, and on the doors, along with the yellow leather on all of the bucket seats. It looks slightly rice-a-matic!

You could probably find somebody to trade you their stock covers for yours here on the forums. Or you could look for a partout and just buy everything and try to resell yours later.

That is very true about all the things you can find here! That's why I'm glad I found the forum a few months after I got mine! The P5s are really fun, even when they're not in the greatest shape (like ours ha), and that's what's made me a Mazda-lifer.

I didn't notice the dual-tip exhaust (idk how) before, but I agree that it doesn't look the greatest. Especially when they're massive pipes too. Does it at least sound good?

But that does sound really ricer! Ha I wanna see some pics, as embarrassing as that might be (idk how you feel about it). Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. haha

Nice looking ride! Another mod to consider is painting your valve cover gasket. It's easy to do, especially when you already have it off to do the gasket! And your best stealth mod would be window tint. I'm looking forward to getting mine done.

Oh, and hypocritically (wink) get some more pics up!

some help for ur LIST

[*]Motor Mounts - Passenger's Destroyed(ez to do.. do it just as u described.. here is a good replacement https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) replacement inserts are just plain energy suspension 9.9482G

[*]Suspension - springs/struts and endlinks (clunking?) Ford Escape end links

[*]Valve Cover Gasket (leaking oil into the spark plug well) this is what i bought.. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

[*]Head gasket Why?

[*]Air Filter/ Intake / exhaust (there's a weird steady hiss and I don't know why) Short ram intake makes that noise

[*]A/C needs a fixing before next summer Sure does

What's been done so far:

After a spririted driving session weekend before last (had only owned car the for 3 days) I caused a misfire in CYL 1. The oil had gotten so hot that it had started to foam and pushed the piston into the spark-plug. Replaced all 4 and changed the oil the next day. Replacement plugs were NGK Iridium. When I pulled the spark plug in CYL 1, there was oil/gas in the cyl, when I pulled the one to the right (cyl 3?), there was a TON (1/2 of a cup) of oil which led me to believe that I need to replace the valve cover gasket because there's no smoke coming out the exhaust but oil in the spark-plug wells.

I got lucky that I didn't blow the engine, the night I was limping home I had two things going through my mind:

"I Love this CAR!"

It also has a steady hiss that I can stop if I take the air filter off and plug the intake with my hand, but as soon as the engine starts breathing again the hiss comes back.
ITS normal cuz of the short ram intake

Last edited:
Nice looking ride! Another mod to consider is painting your valve cover gasket. It's easy to do, especially when you already have it off to do the gasket! And your best stealth mod would be window tint. I'm looking forward to getting mine done.

I am quite sure what you meant was, '...consider is painting your valve cover.' ;)

You could probably find somebody to trade you their stock covers for yours here on the forums. Or you could look for a partout and just buy everything and try to resell yours later.

I didn't even think of that. I guess I can prolly get most of the things I need here cheaper 2nd hand. Woot thanks for the idea!

That is very true about all the things you can find here! That's why I'm glad I found the forum a few months after I got mine! The P5s are really fun, even when they're not in the greatest shape (like ours ha), and that's what's made me a Mazda-lifer.

I didn't notice the dual-tip exhaust (idk how) before, but I agree that it doesn't look the greatest. Especially when they're massive pipes too. Does it at least sound good?

But that does sound really ricer! Ha I wanna see some pics, as embarrassing as that might be (idk how you feel about it). Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. haha

I'll take some more photos when I get home today, besides the IMGUR gallery in the OP (Noc's Car), what else do you want to see? The exhaust sounds fine although it's a little loud for me. I'm wondering when I get down to replacing the intake/exhaust, which to go with. From what I see, MSP parts will fit and can be had relatively cheaply, while maintaining a "Stock" sound profile. I don't like going 80mph down the highway and hearing the drone of the exhaust of the road noise. I wonder how much it would be to get the header + exhaust. Will the MSP header fit or will I have to go with something else?

Right now, the intake and exhaust are rusty and I'm still trying to figure out how I can raise the car to get some clearance without it falling over while torquing out those bolts.

I still need to figure out where the proper jack points are on the car so I can get it on some jackstands.

I was thinking about doing this when I changed the valve gasket, but I don't think I have a blaster to make cleaning it up much easier. Maybe a yellow paint to match the exterior.

some help for ur LIST

[*]Motor Mounts - Passenger's Destroyed(ez to do.. do it just as u described.. here is a good replacement https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) replacement inserts are just plain energy suspension 9.9482G

[*]Suspension - springs/struts and endlinks (clunking?) Ford Escape end links

[*]Valve Cover Gasket (leaking oil into the spark plug well) this is what i bought.. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

[*]Head gasket Why?

[*]Air Filter/ Intake / exhaust (there's a weird steady hiss and I don't know why) Short ram intake makes that noise

[*]A/C needs a fixing before next summer Sure does

What's been done so far:

"I Love this CAR!"

It also has a steady hiss that I can stop if I take the air filter off and plug the intake with my hand, but as soon as the engine starts breathing again the hiss comes back.
ITS normal cuz of the short ram intake

Why the solid mount? Will that effect the ride quality or is it to prevent wheel hop. If there's one solid mount vs. the others does it translate into more vibration in the cab? Right now, even with the busted passenger mount, if I have any change or metallic things in the doors they bounce around and jingle and clang like crazy.

I wont worry about the hiss, but that explains why it gets louder at higher RPMs going down the road. If I was to replace the intake with something longer... would it go away?

Gah... I need some monies for this car.

I'm replacing the head-gasket because the motors got 160k on it and it will puff a tiny bit of white smoke if I'm sitting idling or at low speeds for a little while, and I want this engine to last till I can get another one to start modding for some decent NA power. Just imagining what this car would do with an extra 50-70 horses gets my jimmies going. Throw a sandbag or two in the trunk to keep the back end planted better... *Waves face off*

I am quite sure what you meant was, '...consider is painting your valve cover.' ;)

Nah, I'd rather paint the gasket, don't want to put flames on the side of the car or anything. Muhahaha.

-----

I will be getting it sanded down and another clearcoat or two put on, along with tinting the windows. I don't want anything too dark, but the amount of heat this car absorbs is insane.

The reason for the solidmount is because when you get bit by the mod bug and you will since you're already talking about 50 to 70 horsepower more to stock mounts don't hold up with crap you can also get the front one if you look at the sellers other auctions

Last edited:
Also change the Short Ram Intake to a cold air intake and put the air filter under the fender through the hole on the driver side inner fender well

I feel ya Noc on the lack of time! Working 40+ hours a week and being a full-time student doesn't leave me much time for a social life, let alone time to work on my car.

As for the headers/exhaust, I got my NA header from another forum member, but you can find them anywhere from $100-$200 online (Amazon or eBay). The MSP header would work, except IIRC you would have to add a turbo, along with all of the lines, intercooler, etc. So if you wanted to go that route, it would be a long term project (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The MSP exhaust on the other hand, if you wanted to add that I know that it's a different diameter than the stock P5 exhaust, plus you have to cut somewhere and weld somewhere else (don't remember where I saw it, but I've seen it multiple times on here and I'm trying to find it again). And I know what ya mean about knocking the car off the jack when you're trying to get those bolts off. That's why I'm glad the shop on campus opened up so I can use the hoist and air tools. :p

The reason for the solidmount is because when you get bit by the mod bug and you will since you're already talking about 50 to 70 horsepower more to stock mounts don't hold up with crap you can also get the front one if you look at the sellers other auctions

I was going to go with the AWR when I got to modding the engine, as it wont be till next year or so when I actually have the funding to do alot of the work :).

Also change the Short Ram Intake to a cold air intake and put the air filter under the fender through the hole on the driver side inner fender well

I think I will do that. I'm almost afraid to start actually pricing all of these things that I need to buy... thank goodness I'm not afraid to get a little dirty.

I just bought one that looks a lot like this!!

Congratulations!

I feel ya Noc on the lack of time! Working 40+ hours a week and being a full-time student doesn't leave me much time for a social life, let alone time to work on my car.

As for the headers/exhaust, I got my NA header from another forum member, but you can find them anywhere from $100-$200 online (Amazon or eBay). The MSP header would work, except IIRC you would have to add a turbo, along with all of the lines, intercooler, etc. So if you wanted to go that route, it would be a long term project (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The MSP exhaust on the other hand, if you wanted to add that I know that it's a different diameter than the stock P5 exhaust, plus you have to cut somewhere and weld somewhere else (don't remember where I saw it, but I've seen it multiple times on here and I'm trying to find it again). And I know what ya mean about knocking the car off the jack when you're trying to get those bolts off. That's why I'm glad the shop on campus opened up so I can use the hoist and air tools. :p

Not going turbo so that scraps that idea about the MSP intake/exshaust :p. I need to find a single-tipped exhaust, So much to learn, but I've got the time. Which NA header did you get?

I need a shop >.>.

U dont need to go turbo to use the msp exnaust.. if u can find one get it. Its a racing beat exhaust and a common mod on non turbo cars

Last edited:
Back