Colorado Emissions?

PatrickP5

:
03.5 Midnight Blue P5, 04 WR Blue Pearl WRX Wagon
Well, I'm not sure where this should go - I guess either here or in the regional forums, but they don't get much attention.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can tell me about what Colorado emissions laws are like. I'm currently living in California, which is hell for modifying legally, but it's looking quite likely that I'll be moving to Colorado sometime next year. So... do you have smog tests in CO? Is it illegal to remove either or both of the cats? Anything else?

Thanks,
Patrick

Oh, and while we're at it, I've got a couple more questions. One I've already asked before, but how does the P5 handle in the CO winter? I'm originally from Northern Wisconsin and I went to college in the U.P. of Michigan, so I've got the winter driving skills - I was just wondering how good the car is in the snow.

The second is regarding the P5's performance in high altitudes. I went on a couple road trips in the higher elevations of Arizona and there was a noticeable difference in power between driving around Phoenix and driving around the mile-high altitudes of Prescott and vicinity. Anyway, I guess I'm just wondering if you guys noticed this too and if there's anything that you can do about it short of modding the hell out of your car.

Patrick

Well, let's start with emmisions.

Yes, we have e-tests up in here in Colorado. For new cars you are safe for four years, then ever two years after that time is up. If you are moving here form another state, you will fall into the every two years test rotation.

For cars older than '86 I think the test is ever year.

The emissions standards here are about on par with California. But, modding cars doesn't seem to be to much of a hassle, although I haven't had to deal with it for awhile and not with the turbo.

And, it is technically a federal violation to mess with the emissions equipment, such as removing cats. However, I don't know how smart the goons running the e-tests are. I figure if you pass the sniff test, then you are safe. And as long as it looks like something is there, you are safe.

Now, for weather. Front drivers often do well in the snow. My car has done well, even on the summer tires. Just remember, take your time and drive safe. Starting out in second gear on slicker surfaces work well.

Altitude does effect the car. Obviously there is less oxygen up here. How much does it hurt performance? I don't know, I've always driven here.

get a turbo and you'll be fine. Flyin' Protege is the best option for here. Not only are they in Grand Junction, but you retain both cats.

Patrick, you will be suprised on how much the altitude affects your engine...My uncle lives in Arvada CO, a suburb of Denver with an evelavtion a little over 5,300 ft...I used to drive out once a summer to visit and do some landscaping...around that altitude there is a noticable decrease in power, but nothing unmanageable...but I drove up to Mt. Evans in a Probe GT V6, and at those elevations (14,000 + ft, and I think it is the highest paved road in the world or something) the throttle pedal was like a thermostat...even in neutral just revving the engine it felt like a 3 cylinder...But thats was only on the highest peaks, on I-70 on route to Summit county for snowboarding you peak at around 10,000 feet I believe and it was still manageable in that Probe...The engine didn't feel like it would set the world on fire, but it was still easily drivable, requiring downshifts on steeper terrain...

But it is also proportional to everyone else, minus those bastards with turbo's (they still create the same amount of boost above ambient, and a quick adjustment to the boost controller allows them to make up for the lower ambient pressure), So everyone else is slower too...

Installshield 2 said:
.....(snip)
But it is also proportional to everyone else, minus those bastards with turbo's (they still create the same amount of boost above ambient, and a quick adjustment to the boost controller allows them to make up for the lower ambient pressure), So everyone else is slower too...

LOL!! Sounds like someone was jealous...

StuttersC said:
LOL!! Sounds like someone was jealous...

Indeed...Saab, Volvo, and Porsche all modify their ECU's for high altitude locations (sort of, Porsche's 911 Turbo has an integrated altimeter built into the ECU and factory PSM...since there is less ambient pressure, they can increase the boost to make up the difference...Ignition timing and fuel requirements more or less stay the same...Saab and Volvo dealerships in the Denver area have a factory reflash that is just done when they arrive)...So 911 Turbo's will still run 0-60's in under 4 seconds at Denver's elevations... A stock P5 will be struggling to break 10secs...

I am very jealous...

Well... if I do end up moving to Denver, I can pretty much guarantee I will have a turbo'd car (maybe not *right* away), whether that means a kit in my P5 or a WRX. If it's a WRX, I'm gonna have to wait until I'm not upside-down on my P5.

Patrick

That's probably part of the reason why Vail PD was running Saab's for so long. They had the get up and go the bigger cop cars sucked on...Even with the big V-8s.

Oh well...Once again, I am glad I have my turbo. I noticed a huge difference on Vail pass alone before and after.

StuttersC said:
That's probably part of the reason why Vail PD was running Saab's for so long. They had the get up and go the bigger cop cars sucked on...Even with the big V-8s.

Oh well...Once again, I am glad I have my turbo. I noticed a huge difference on Vail pass alone before and after.

Haha, I forgot about those...Do they not use Saab's anymore? last spring break my girlfriend, a couple of other friends and I went out there for a week of boarding...and my friend got pulled over in Eagle's Nest (In the town of Vail), by a Saab police car, for having a broken tail light...they were cool about it though...what Saab's are they? 9-3's or 9-5's...they looked sportier than the regular 3's and 5's? maybe a 9-3 viggen or 9-5 Aero? That would suck to have one of them chasing you...I did see a few regular police interceptors in the from of Cheby Impalas or something, which have room for stuffing the criminals in the back...

They just switched over to Exploders or something like that.

The Saab's were getting to pricey...IT'S VAIL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

The tax base should be huge, so I don't get it. But I am happy they don't have the speedy Saabs any more. I'm not sure what versions they were running.

State Patrol runs Crown Vics up there, they used to have the Caprices.

Effect of Elevation on HP Output

Go to : www.slowgt.com/Calc.htm to see the effect of elevation on HP output.

For example, at 5000' elevation, the 2.0 liter engine develops 108 HP (normally aspirated).

02 DX Millenium Red

Back