Cold Start Rattle and Roof Rack Noise...

Got my engine rattle fixed

Got mine finally fixed.

They replaced the delay valve and reprogrammed computer.

CAR drives much better ,better and smoother acceleration, and I notice more torque in the lower RPMs.

The only other thing I also notice is that it idles in gear (DRIVE) at a lower RPM.

Here is a pic of the delay valve.
this-valve.jpg

Hey guys I get this rattle too but only after I leave it sit for many hrs like said and start it up only last for a second when it revs up. Did you guys put your stock parts back on when you took it to the dealer im not sure if I should put my stock intake back on or not.

Last edited:
i'm actually getting the cold start rattle now...but it's funny, it may be in my head, but before they did the intake manifold recall (in january) i didn't hear it. i've only had the car since november, so it was probably always there...this is an easy fix, right?

Heres the TSB info
Make: MAZDA
Model: PROTEGE
Year: 2003
Type: PASSENGER CAR
Service Bulletin Number: 0100403
NHTSA Item Number: 10001515
Summary Description: ENGINE RATTLE NOISE AT 1000 - 3000 RPM COLD ENGINE. *TT

I just called the dealer this involes the ECM reprograming and a inspection of the VTCS. My problem has to be the ECM program and the only thing it could be since is the ECM is advancing the timing to much at initial start up and causing predetonation. The ECM really doesnt do much but control the fuel and timing.

so a few months back i printed out the TSB about the infamous cold start rattle and brought it into the dealership cause i had been hearing the rattle on my 2003.5 P5 as it's described in the TSB - but the dealership said my car didn't fall in the VIN range specified, and they had another P5 on the lot that did the same thing. i thought it was bulls*** cause it still sounds weird and it's definitely not a normal sound (and it does go away after a bit of driving)...

anyone else experience this at the dealership? i'm not sure what to do.

can anyone shed light on this for me? i'm still hearing the rattle, and there's not much info on getting the rattle fixed if your car doesn't fall into the TSB VIN range specified...

worker_robot said:
can anyone shed light on this for me? i'm still hearing the rattle, and there's not much info on getting the rattle fixed if your car doesn't fall into the TSB VIN range specified...

Most all cars will have a rattle on startup for a second if you have vtcs.

it's more than a second, i hear it under acceleration for a while. i'm not sure what it could be - very few people mentioned that it could be the heat shield clanging against something? does that happen often?

worker_robot said:
it's more than a second, i hear it under acceleration for a while. i'm not sure what it could be - very few people mentioned that it could be the heat shield clanging against something? does that happen often?

Not sure I just had a rattle at startup

Latest posts

Back