Cold Air Intakes????

Tay9969

:
2000 Mazda Protege ES
I have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES i want to get an intake for. I narrowed down what i want but i can't decide. I also want to know if you have to take the guard off the inside of the wheel well and keep it off if you put in a whole cold air intake? Will the filter fit if i put the cover back on so no crap gets on it? $209 Injen cold air intake vs. $250 Weapon-R ram air intake with heat shield and Dragon intake flexible tubing
!BsGIO4QEWk~$(KGrHqYOKiIEvP!U!IcrBL2e+DgbCg~~_12.JPG

13493d1023987474-added-ram-air-and-heat-shield-upgrades-to-intake-pic00001.jpg

Feel free to give new ideas if they are cheaper or better :)

How often do you have to replace a filter on a cold air intake? I bought my P5 used and it already had one, so I don't know how long it's been there. Can you tell just by looking at it if it needs to be replaced? It seems somewhat dirty, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks!

How often do you have to replace a filter on a cold air intake? I bought my P5 used and it already had one, so I don't know how long it's been there. Can you tell just by looking at it if it needs to be replaced? It seems somewhat dirty, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks!

When I had my Pontiac Fiero, I'd take it off and clean it with a vacuum and bump it on something to knock the dirt off every few weeks or so, but that was because of where the intake was.. But the general rule is to clean it every 25,000 to 50,000 miles by doing the things I already mentioned.

I have a 2003 2.0. Would installing a cold air intake greatly improve the gas mileage and/or overall performance of the car? Are they difficult to install? I've heard that if not done right you can screw up your engine.

Not difficult to install, may not improve mileage because they "sound cooler" and thus you will be more likely to drive faster.

Haha! makes sense. I might have to give it a try then in the near future. I've only had my protege for a couple weeks now so I am still considering possible modifications i could make.

I git the injen and i love it! Not a loud loud intake but it gets u some hp i feel like.
#2003 protege lx 2.0

I git the injen and i love it! Not a loud loud intake but it gets u some hp i feel like.
#2003 protege lx 2.0

I have the exact same pro, think you could throw up some pictures to show me how you did it? I'm thinking about getting one and I can't find anything on the install process.

Back