Cold air intake??

Hey all....

So I was talking to a buddy of mine and he suggested putting a cold air intake in my P5 to get some extra power. Does doing this really raise the HP noticeably? If so, how much does it cost? I am really trying to avoid gettting into modifying the car (I HAVE NO CASH), but it seems like it can become a very addictive habit :):)

ANywya, as everyone knows, I am a virgin when it comes to cars (and only cars :p) and would love to learn more about this CAI...

Tell me your thoughts!

injen, AEM, or K&N CAI. depending on where you live and how the climate is, will decide whether to get Cold air or short ram.

but the injen, AEM or K&N are all good ones.

Cold air intake or short ram intake yield the same gains on a dyno. (been there done that) They will get an additional 3 wheel horse power. Taking you from 95 whp to 98 whp.

The bigest benefit is that they clean up the look of your engine bay and make this really neat hissing sound when you shut off your car. LOL

rednecks_r_us said:
Cold air intake or short ram intake yield the same gains on a dyno. (been there done that) They will get an additional 3 wheel horse power. Taking you from 95 whp to 98 whp.

The bigest benefit is that they clean up the look of your engine bay and make this really neat hissing sound when you shut off your car. LOL

Yep, they do sound kind of cool when shutting down. I got tired of worrying about my CAI in the rain (which there is no shortage of here in Houston). Also, getting at the filter to service it is a complete PITA. All that being said, now that I have my Racing Beat exhaust on I may go back to the CAI. I just hate the idea of it down there with all the mist and road crap so low to the ground.

Short ram is a shorter pipe that turns slightly toward the Water Overflow Tank. You can move the tank so that the filter is not in the direct path of the fan. Downside of this is that is sucks in the warm/hot air from the engine bay. AEM and Injen are major brands that carry these for our cars. A quick search on Ebay will show that they are not very expensive. These work well for wetter climates.

Cold Air Intakes are a longer pipe and connectors that allow the pipe to go theough the hole by the Water Overflow Tank and attach to the filter. Downside of these are that if it has rained a lot and you hit a major puddle it could spell disaster as the intake would suck water up into your engine. The upside of these are that the air is cooler as the filter is located outside of the engine bay and inside of the fender well. These also show the nicest overall look of the engine bay. They are more expensive and K&N amoung other brands makes them.

Our vendors carry them so please check out the vendor section for more specific pricing.

mhrebin said:
injen, AEM, or K&N CAI. depending on where you live and how the climate is, will decide whether to get Cold air or short ram.

but the injen, AEM or K&N are all good ones.

Those are good intakes, but you don't have to spend that much money to have just as good of one. Just buy one of the ebay intakes, and replace the cheap filter with a K&N cone filter. All you are buying is aluminum tubing and rubber couplers. Mine cost $45 plus another $40 for the filter.

Diehonda said:
Downside of these are that if it has rained a lot and you hit a major puddle it could spell disaster as the intake would suck water up into your engine.

Your intake will not suck water into your intake from hitting a puddle. That would have to be one huge puddle. You have to nearly submerge your filter in water in order to suck enough up to cause hydro-lock. You should never drive your car in water deep enough to cause that to happen. I have had my CAI for 3 years now, and have never come across deep enough "puddles" to have a problem. And it rains and snows a lot here. It's good to point out the possibility of hydro-lock, but the way you put it would have scared me off if I didn't know better.

5PADZAM said:
Your intake will not suck water into your intake from hitting a puddle. That would have to be one huge puddle. You have to nearly submerge your filter in water in order to suck enough up to cause hydro-lock. You should never drive your car in water deep enough to cause that to happen. I have had my CAI for 3 years now, and have never come across deep enough "puddles" to have a problem. And it rains and snows a lot here. It's good to point out the possibility of hydro-lock, but the way you put it would have scared me off if I didn't know better.

Sorry I live in Kentucky. Some of our puddles are small ponds. It does depend on the area that you live. Our streets flood six to eight inches sometimes when it rains.

Diehonda said:
Sorry I live in Kentucky. Some of our puddles are small ponds. It does depend on the area that you live. Our streets flood six to eight inches sometimes when it rains.

That's a lot of water. I would be nervous about driving through that much water, but not just because of my CAI. Not a lot of standing water around here because there are too many hills, and the water drains off pretty well when it rains.

I just put the K&N typhoon CAI/SRI on about 2 hours ago, went smoothly besides breaking the purge valve like eveyone seems to do...looks and sounds nice...came with good instructions...

I have an Ebay CAI, it's an Injen design by X3 racing. It goes into the fender well behind the fog light. I also have a AEM bypass valve, and have had it for over 2 years no problem. I think I spent a total of ~$100

ebay cai + K&N filter FTW. I've had the ebay cai on my car for about 3 years now...and I lived in Seattle for a while and now live in CT...never had a problem driving when it's rainy

Back