Cold Air Intake vs. Cone Filter

Mmm maybe every car is a little different if you check out the plugs at full throttle and shut your car down, that is the true test if your car is running lean or not. Have you ever checked your plugs from a full throttle shut down?

No, I stuck it on a dyno, had the professionals attach the data signals to the engine and the sniffer probe up the exhaust. I then did 3 full throttle runs from 2500 RPMs to 6500 rpms while video taping the computer screen to see real time A/F ratios throughout the entire RPM range. In all three runs the A/F ratio was pegged at the lowest setting it could register - 10 - from 2800 RPMs all the way to just over 6000 RPMs. From 6000 RPMs to 6500 RPMs the A/F ratio varied from 10-10.3.

At the time I had a Perrin SRI, Hiboost FMIC and Apex catless down and midpipe, hood open and a fan in front of the car.

I only pulled my plugs once to change them and they didn't show any signs of excessive wear after about 30K miles.

The guys here with wideband gauges have seen lean spots, esecially when coming in and out of boost. But at full throttle 99% of MSPs out there run extremely rich.

I suppose the different boost levels could be a factor. My stock boost level was only 5.5psi. I've got two buddies here in Dallas who get 8psi stock. But the one with a wideband runs super rich when at full throttle. Maybe you've just got some freakishly powerfull turbo set up.

I have had a similar experience. I am in the process of building a custom 3" CAI. While building it, I had to put back my Injen to move the car. I said let me just stick the filter on after the MAF. Let me tell you, the car did not like the heat at all. It ran like complete s***. It was running lean and lots of timing was being pulled by the ECU.
I checked the OBDII and Intake air temperatures were reaching 108 degrees.

Stuck the complete CAI back in, and the car was running fine again.

Anyone know the best place to get an AEM or Injen CAI? It seems like the prices keep going up everywhere.

I got my CAI from Ebay and love it. It is made by X3 Racing. It's identical to the Injen and even comes with the hardware to relocate the coolant bottle.

jonlong said:
I got my CAI from Ebay and love it. It is made by X3 Racing. It's identical to the Injen and even comes with the hardware to relocate the coolant bottle.

Because you have a P5, MSP ebay intakes are non-existant (I haven't found any that is).

I haven't seen a cold air intake yet, that is an any different location, that where the Airbox is on a MSP. Is there one that actually is in a better location?

TheJohnny said:
Because you have a P5, MSP ebay intakes are non-existant (I haven't found any that is).

You make it sound like it's my fault that there aren't any...

(nuts)lol

PGFracing said:
I haven't seen a cold air intake yet, that is an any different location, that where the Airbox is on a MSP. Is there one that actually is in a better location?

If you convert the AEM and Injen to sri it puts the fan where the stock box pulls air from. if you leave it CAI it extends into the whole in front of the front driver wheel and pulls air that was about 20 degrees colder than the stock set up and 40-50 degrees colder than other SRIs (like the perrin) or the stock pipe with a cone filter replacing the box.

Wow just saw this thread. Datalogging rules. Knowledge is power!
A BIG contributing factor to power is the IAT sensor reading. High underhood temperatures also rob the engine of power. It's been said a drop of 10 degrees F underhood temp results in recovering a 1% loss in power. TX Speed Demon knows this first hand.

Last edited:
Spooled said:
Anyone know the best place to get an AEM or Injen CAI? It seems like the prices keep going up everywhere.

The prices are going up b/c of quick buck vendors whoring out parts. Many manufacturers are laying down minimum advertised price structures now, if they don't comply, they lose their supplier. If the market gets saturated, there won't be a market for the long term and the manufacturers lose sales b/c their dealers can't move their product.

What does IAT stand for? Idle Air Temperature? Seems like to me that you could just run ducting work down into that compartment for $10 dollars or less and still be getting the same air temp and better yet run it down below the splash guard at the bottom and put a screen on it and you should be much cooler than any air intake system on the market. At least common sense says that, but common sense isn't always right or common.

Do you happen to have the part # for the Idle Air Temp, I'm only finding a listing for an Idle Air Valve, no temp sensor. I'm assuming this is the part that goes into the airbox as that looks like it could be a temp sensor from the outside.

Dude, hit up Richard at www.mazdastuff.com and he'll be able to find it for you. E-mail him and tell him that Johnny from Las Vegas recommended you to him and ask him for what your looking for and it's location and he'll e-mail you back with a picture from the service book and a price on the part. Cheapest prices around man. Good Luck.

Back