Coilovers: FLTA1 vs Tein

ghetto waggon

:
2003 Protege5, Yellow.
I am approaching 40,000 miles, and I can feel my stock struts starting to give.

I plan to purchase coilovers as replacements, but am somewhat lost as to which to get.

I don't mind the bumpy ride. I do not track my car, but may begin autocrossing next season.

I like the fact that the JIC's drop down to 2.5" all around, but have heard a number of complaints from winter-weather users that the FLTA2s will rust.

Has anyone experienced this?

Besides adjustability, why should I consider SS vs. basic kit with the teins?

Thanks for any input.

because the EDFC rules. I have the SS on my WRX and the EDFC is a nice thing to have. Damned thing has presets and actually does more than you would think.

the EDFC won't work on the Proteges. There's no clearance under the hood.

The JIC have stiffer springs in the front, but softer in the rear compared to the TEINs.

The JIC have camber adjustment for the front. The TEINs have no camber adjustment.

The JIC damping adjustment is done at the bottom of the strut. The TEINs are done at the top. The front is easy to get to, but the rears are impossible w/o taking apart the interior.

SS vs Basic? I like having the adjustiblity if i need it. Honestly, i set it at 4 (1=hard, 16=soft), and never touched it.

Rogue, sorry to be nosy- but I had followed a few of your older posts.
Were you looking switch to the JICs?

Has anyone had rusting problems with the JICs?

i was thinking about it, but i have other plans for camber adjustments ;)

I already have the Delsing camber plates in the front.

Regarding rust, I'll ask one of the guys that I know that is running the JICs

The JIC A1's actually adjust from the top of the strut, both front and rear.

The A2's adjust from the bottom.

the JIC FLT A2 will also have rubbing issues. the tires will rub the springs from the camber. you will need wheel spacers (10mm) to keep them from rubbing. I used the Kics Project wide thread spacers when i had the FLT-A2 and they spaced em out perfectly.

edit: ^^^ disregard that if you don't have a mazdaspeed protege.

Last edited:
I guess it more clearly comes down to FLTA1 vs. SS

How important is camber adjustment if you arent tracking the car?

the car will naturally camber when you lower the car so you dont really need the camber adjuster. i mean its nice to have the ability to adjust it w/ that but not necessary.

besides more camber jus mean more uneven tire wear.

also if you want to add camber there are other ways. there are camber kits and you can also drill out the strut bolts holes wider for more camber.

kicker22705 said:
the car will naturally camber when you lower the car so you dont really need the camber adjuster. i mean its nice to have the ability to adjust it w/ that but not necessary.
true, but it also causes toe-in on the front which isn't good for handling. Be sure to get an alignment, but they may take some of the camber out.

Back