COBB SRI Installed!

speed858

:
2007 Mazda Speed3 GT, Sunlight Silver
So I installed my cobb sri yesterday and I have to say that it's a well built intake. Cobb put a lot of thought into designing this intake and it looks a lot better sitting in my engine than the old air filter. First driving impression is that the car felt a little more aggressive than before. The intake adds to the solid feel that I've been looking for. Plus having that blow off sound is an extra plus! I did have a question for you guys that have the cobb installed. It seems like the air build up in the intake sounds different than what most intakes sound like. It sounds like someone is letting helium out of a hot air balloon. I don't know if this is the way an SRI is supposed to sound. I had an AEM CAI on my last car and it sounded more aggressive. Is there a way to get a more aggressive sound? What do you guys think?

here is what mine sounds like...

I've never heard the letting helium out of a balloon sound?

& to get a more aggressive sound, maybe get a BOV.

Install probably took me about 45 min. Not long at all. It really sounds more like the helium balloon when your slowly accelerating on the freeway. The rest of the engine is so quite that all you hear is that.

i'll be installing mine next weekend. how long did the install take?

Took my time making sure everything was done right the first time, no mistakes, and could easily go back to stock. Installing that bracket was the hardest part. I probably spent 45-60 minutes making sure it was perfect.

yeah it's just a different sound I'm not used to. I can always just turn the music up when I'm on the freeway so it doesn't get to me. I'm surprised how nice the stock bpv sounds with it. *Phsssss*

What car did you have your old CAI on? The sound coming from the intake depends on what type of motor you are running. A turbo car with an aftermarket intake will tend to give more of that air-sucking sound you are referring to while the engine note did not increase much in sound. A N/A car with some aggressive cams like a Civic Si or RSX Type-S will make some sucking sound but will have a much more noticable engine note.

lol u must be new to forum lingo. Basically what i'm asking is what are you initial impressions of it as far as driveability and seat of your pants acceleration?

oh, weird that I have never heard that lingo before. I was impressed when I first bought the car but now that I have cs inserts and a cobb sri I would say that it makes the car feel just right. It almost seems now that I'm focusing more on the sound rather than the feeling of the turbo spool up.

I would suggest you get the shifter bushings as well to make the drive that much sweeter. They are a cheap mod that you can do yourself.

So I drove around all weekend with my new cobb and I'm sorry to say that I can't get used to the sound. It's great when I'm doing spirited driving but normal driving it just gets annoying. Like on the freeway when you just give it a little gas to accelerate you can hear the sucking sound. I thought that I could just keep the music up and I wouldn't hear it. But I spend most of my time with my fiancee in the car so I keep the music low and now all I focus on is the sound. So I'm taking it off today and you guys will be seeing it up in the marketplace soon. If anyone wants a jumpstart on it you can PM me for it.

Sorry it didn't work out for you man, I'm sure you will have no issue selling it with the back orders going on lately.

Yeah I'm really particular about certain things so I guess this sound wasn't what I was looking for. I would rather it be quiet in the cabin.

Back