Cobb AP, who has them?

im not that concerned with it but i thought i would try it out and see what kind of diffrence i can get out of it and im stage 2+

Just for clarification, a friend of mine was trying to tell me that the higher the afr like 14 15 is leaner. I've always thought the lower the leaner like 10.5-11 being good, lower than that bad, 14-15 rich.

Just for clarification, a friend of mine was trying to tell me that the higher the afr like 14 15 is leaner. I've always thought the lower the leaner like 10.5-11 being good, lower than that bad, 14-15 rich.

nope sorry. the higher the number, the leaner the condition.

So are you just running Stage 1? or do you have the SRI and running Stage 1+?

I am running Stg1+ but using an MSCAI. That's why I don't want to make a final judgment until I'm in complete compliance w/ cobb's maps which means either getting a SRI or Cobb making a MSCAI compatible map.

nope sorry. the higher the number, the leaner the condition.

It's (# parts air) : (# parts fuel)
so 10:1 means 10 parts air for every part fuel, while a 16:1 means 16 parts air for every one part fuel. the 16:1 means there is more air in the mixture thus leaner condition. Hope this helps! (naughty)

I'm really intersted in how the stage 2+ cars are running. Thats going to be my deciding factor. I have my AP sitting here. but on the fence about keeping it. All i have on the car now is the cobb intake. If I go straight to Stage 2 + with a CS DP. How much is the car going to transform? Stage 2 guys, care to relate how ya feel about the performance?

dude just try it. Worst case scenario you dont like it and can send it back and get your money back...30 day guarantee. We need more people with the CS downpipe trying it out, so we can figure out if that's causing problems, or if its something else.

Aaron, you got your problem sorted with plugs correct? hows the car been running? What year is yours. I've got an 08.5 so I'm hoping the CDFP will not be an issue for me. Oh also one the cobb 30 day thing. anyone kow if you go through cobb on that or your vendor0 anyone sent one back yet lol? I really want to run the CS dp looks like a great design. and the cpe with cat is pricey as hell. Also hows the fumesfrom the catess pipe man? I.m been hearin all these complaints abut it filling the car. K ran catless with my STi, could smell it outside but not inside. wonder if its because the ms3 is a hatch.

I could smell it inside at a stop...but I put a highflow cat in mine

IMG_2819.jpg

I think you go thru cobb, but I could be wrong to return it. My car is an 07 with a build date of 2/07. It falls in the TSB range. Your plugs are probably good since you probably have a lot less miles than me.

All I'm waiting on is for them to make a map to work with the cpe intake. I was to understand that thier intake keeps afrs looking pretty close to factory, and was on the "yeah, parts for my car lets be the first to buy" bandwagon and hate buying different parts down the road and changing the setup all together. May just be the guinee pig and see if it runs to lean/rich and if so just uninstall until they make a map or the st software becomes available.

i have mine set to stage1+ and it definitely feels slower in 1st and 2nd gear... not so happy about my purchase...so i put it back to stock... but i think ima get it dyno'd before i try and return it... if i return it im going with a intercooler...

I have heard that sometimes cars are fast but don't feel like it.....

I definitely believe you that you are probably slower, just throwing that ^^ out there. Give it a week or two to learn, maybe it will adjust??

it seems to be working good for people with Cobb SRI and CPE catted TBE or DP. As in those who fit the mod criteria perfectly, or most similar to all cobb parts like they are using to test the car with. These are the v100 maps, I'm sure they will improve things as time goes on, just like they have with STIs and WRXs and all other cars. I think the problem stems from some sort of common hardware problem on our cars that cobb's car doesnt happen to have (bad fuel pump, worn out spark plugs, etc) or incompatibility with other manufacters exhausts. Some of the WRX/STI map revisions include "improved compatibility with a wider range of hardware). So, it seems like theres just kinks to be worked out and things will improve over time. Once custom tunes and self tuning software is out it should be a lot more useful, especially for people going big turbo and want to take advantage of keeping the throttle plate open longer, etc.

There's a reason why it's called "tuning" folks. Plus, believe it or not, when it comes to engine managment, this is another one of those "you get what you paid for", just as it is with most other mods such as coilovers or even racing seats. A lot of the Evo guys learned this lesson the hard way when many of them demanded something quick, simple and cheap only to have major mechanical issues down the road. Now you'll find many Evo owners more open minded about the Cobb product, knowing what type of R&D has gone into it to ensure a high quality and safe result.

Another aspect that many fail to recognize, is that for the $700, you're investing in a broad network of Cobb Tuning certified tuners every where, with thousands of hours of dyno and road tuning experience most of which will (eventually) be able to apply in tuning the Cobb Accessport for the MS3. In fact I know tuners that have based their business mainly on their ability to tune the Cobb Accessport.

I swear this reminds me of NASIOC circa 2002.

Last edited:
i have mine set to stage1+ and it definitely feels slower in 1st and 2nd gear... not so happy about my purchase...so i put it back to stock... but i think ima get it dyno'd before i try and return it... if i return it im going with a intercooler...

your cars probably slow because of your 50/50 BOV, you really should recirculate especially on a MAFS car. its common knowledge nga(smoke)

your cars probably slow because of your 50/50 BOV, you really should recirculate especially on a MAFS car. its common knowledge nga(smoke)

the ap with stage1+ really actually feels like it's a bit slower. I used to be able to spin through 1st and 2nd, and now it feels like it wants to, but doesnt. 3rd feels like it pulls harder, but not by much.
I ordered a downpipe to make me feel better about it all :)

Hey guys, this past weekend I tested a beta Stg1 +SF v101F that Christian emailed me. This map still retains some of the smoothness of the original stg1 map but this map is what everyone has wanted. The kick in the pants is back. This is how the file should have been from the start. People would be raving about it if it was. boost in the first two gears comes on very strong and of course, forget traction if you're not careful. I granny shifted into 3rd "spun"...not a chirp mind you, but the tires spun for moment. I flashed the car this morning with the test map and other than 1 spirited run, I haven't really gotten on the car hard because I want to put some miles and key cycles on it. the car honestly pulls pretty damn hard now. even at 75% throttle, I'm impressed. Now I feel like I'm starting to get what I paid for. i can't imagine what this car will feel like with a revised stg2 + SF+ FMIC map. It's going to be nasty for sure. I'm not sure how accurate the AP's 1/4 mi tester is but before this map I was getting ~96mph traps on my tests. it seems to be fairly accurate on trap speed because my last 3 actual track 1/4 mi runs, I trapped 96.60, 95.64, 96.95. granted I had some problems shifting on those runs but it's a fairly equivalent comparison. I will be testing w/ the AP 1/4 mi timer again and I know I should pick up at least 2mph which is roughly 20hp. yes, it feels THAT much stronger. I'm actually thinking of going to a dyno this coming weekend to try it out. Christian has worked hard to improve upon the original file and this one is definitely a winner.

It won't. Actually, I'll find out for sure on Tuesday/wednesday. I'm taking my car in for the TSB in the hopes that I get a new CDFP on Mazda's dime. I'll be un-marrying the AP.

if you want to buy an AP w/ free overnight shipping, call Rick or Drew at IAG Performance. Tell them Patrick sent you. great bunch of guys over there.

So did Mazda find out that your ECU was reflashed ?
Just wondering....

Have about 50 miles on the latest beta...v101L.

It's not a night and day difference from the F revision, as far as I can tell. With my setup the car struggles for traction in first and second, even had the traction control light come on when shifting into 3rd. But it's not so much power that the result is just endless wheelspin. If someone is still on the skinny stock wheels with all season tires they might have a few more issues...but it my eyes that's their own tradeoff that they made when they got new tires.

Looks like boost is pretty much on target for me. Spikes up to around 19 still when going through the gears. It comes back down into the 17s and then I want to say in the 16s by 4k or so. I dont have v100 map notes right here but I think that's about right. AFRs seem to be pretty consistent in the 12s to 11.9ish when going wot and in the peak powerband. WGDC seems to be generally higher (not holding boost back as much)....that's a good sign to me, as long as it's safe, etc.

Overall it's been a blast to drive around with. There wasn't a single issue I noticed driving around. If there's more power to be had, great, but I'll leave that up to Christian or a "pro tuner" to figure that out for sure. It's also in the 90s today and humid as always, so if anything my car should be feeling sluggish, but its not at all.

A+ to Christian and the rest of the Cobb guys!

Back