Clutches

If you're clutch is not slipping there is no reason to replace it!

my clutch is slipping or i feel that way... it kinda has the effect like when i switch the gear, my engine feels like it drops... it actually feels like the gears are grinding when i am switchin them... it feels very dry... like there is no liquid in between the gears.. i don't know if this helps you guys trying to understand what problem i have...

so what is a clutch shudder?

What happens to me, and, it's usually only when it's cold, but, no matter what RPM's you start off from, the whole car literally shudders, or convulses. As soon as you start moving it goes away. From what I've been reading, it's possibly a bad clutch. This is the first time I've heard warped flywheel.

Tylor

^That definately sounds like a warped flywheel. Basically the same that can happen to brake rotors. If it's too bad they won't be able to pull off the flywheel and face off a little bit to get a new friction surface and you will have to replace the flywheel. I had a MX-6 v6 with a slipping clutch when I bought it and they agreed to replace it but didn't re-surface the flywheel and it drove me nuts whenever I started engaging the clutch!

What happens to me, and, it's usually only when it's cold, but, no matter what RPM's you start off from, the whole car literally shudders, or convulses. As soon as you start moving it goes away. From what I've been reading, it's possibly a bad clutch. This is the first time I've heard warped flywheel.

Tylor

I got the exact same problem... But in my case it is the clutch... I got about 3mm left on my clutch disc. Also when removing i noticed that some of the teeth on the pressure plate are a little bent. I can rule out the flywheel cuz when i took it off it layed perfectly flat on the ground. Damn i wish i ordered a flywheel and clutch before we opened up the trans case cuz now i gonna have to do it all over again.

I ordered the SRMotorsports Clutch/Flywheel Combo.

Just because it lays flat on the ground doesn't mean anything. If it's off take it to a machine shop and have them put it on a lathe and face it for $30. You can not see a difference of .020" or even less. That would be enough to shake your whole car and cause problems with the motor eventually!

So...if my flywheel has never been resurfaced, can it be possible that when my mechanic takes it off he would tell me it's too bad to be resurfaced? I don't feel like buying a flywheel for my first clutch change at around 100k.
Also I have the clutch shrudder/wheel hop thing, but it's fine at cold but worse at hot like in-traffic driving, and it won't happen if I start at over 2200 rpm.
I'm gonna change the motor mount first, but I know my clutch won't stand too long either.

Josh

Just because it lays flat on the ground doesn't mean anything. If it's off take it to a machine shop and have them put it on a lathe and face it for $30. You can not see a difference of .020" or even less. That would be enough to shake your whole car and cause problems with the motor eventually!

thanks for the info. I'm going to do that. Shave a few kinds off of it and orbably sell it.

....i have a stock 03' P5 flywheel, too that I will get rid of pretty cheap!

can get pics if needed. has 30K miles and is in great shape!

-R

SR Motorsports Clutch/Flywheel Combo?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm... Anyone ever order this from SRMotorsports.com?

http://srmotorsports.com/Mazda_Protege_Performance_Clutch_Flywheel_Parts.html

I was just wondering cuz i got mine today.... It seems a little iffy...

It came with everything it said it would but brands are different... Its not exactly stated in the product descriptions but heres what i got.

1. ACT Spec 1.1 Pressure Plate (what is in descriptions)

2. Exedy Clutch Disc (not in description, i thought it was going to be a ACT clutch disc. I wonder which Exedy disc i got if there is a difference between Heavy Duty and Stock.)

3. Fidanza Aluminum #? Flywheel Part#161721(not in description, supposedly suppose to be a SR Motorsport Nine Pound flywheel, will actually put it on a scale tomorrow. According to the part number it's the 7.5 pound flywheel.)

4. Alignment Tool (what is in description)

5. Pilot Bearing (what is in description)

6. Release Bearing (what is in description)

Last edited:
Back