Clutch Woes

mdavis

Took my car to get a quick oil change today (didnt have time to do it myself before an up coming road trip). As I was paying I watched the guy pull it out of the bay stall it three time. He gets out and says "how do you drive everyday with a clutch like that?"

I know the MS3 grabs pretty hard and has a pretty short friction zone, but I guess it is something we all just get used to.

One of my friend had the same issue the first time he moved my car from his parking lot. The problem is that these guys dont give enough gas for the electronic throttle to get it going. AND YES THE GUY NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE :)

+1 for they need to learn how to drive. As a first-clutch, I could see maybe some difficulty. But I came from driving honda's (super-easy clutch) and it took me no more than 2 seconds to learn the mazda's sensitive clutch.

This is why I change my own oil and do my own service. I don't want someone like that touching my car.

i dont think our car is hard to drive, i didnt dirve manual for 2 years right be4 i purchesed my ms3, it wasnt hard at all.

This is why I change my own oil and do my own service. I don't want someone like that touching my car.

same here....

and that guy needs to learn to drive... there is nothing wrong with the clutch in this car... sure, a bit grabby, but i've driven everything from bobtails, to tractors, to bulldozers.... it's just a strong clutch.

you should have driven my '70 SS nova after i put the borg and beck clutch in it!

i did however, have a devil of a time with a guys IMSA style car with the superlight aluminum flywheel, until i was used to it (and instructed in how to launch the thing).... true road racing clutches are weird. no way could you drive one of those in traffic every day. know why those guys are always burning rubber like mad outta the pits? hehehehe

Last edited:
Ya, triple plate clutches combined with light weight or non-existent flywheels make for very exciting launches. I've heard of guys putting multi-plate clutches in our cars and I can't for the life of me understand how you could drive them on the street.

I drove a Porsche Carrera GT once - that car has NO flywheel and a tiny little triple plate clutch. Interesting to launch to say the least.

TIM

guy needs to learn how to drive. Plain and simple. My wife's only experience with a manual was my 98 chevy K1500 pickup. And she barely knew how to drive it (would only drive it on road trips, get it moving, get it on the interstate, and run for a tank of gas and we'd switch). She's been re-learning on my MS3, and has barely stalled it.

FSDs

Can you provide ride details with your Koni FSDs? Stock height? Stock springs? Do you do road course HPDEs? Did you consider Koni Yellows?

Thanks, Bob(detect)

Back