Clutch Safety Sensor

MP3skaterNC

JDM *****.
:
slotege mp3
So long story short, the clutch pedal sensor is broken, not the one that you press down when you depress the clutch pedal but the one that is spring loaded and is released when the pedal is pressed. Does anyone know how much a replacement for this sensor is, or if it can just be hardwired and bypassed. I know this sounds confusing, but if someone can take a picture of the underside of the dash above the pedals i can highlight the sensor and maybe some of you guys can offer up some ideas.

MP3skaterNC said:
So long story short, the clutch pedal sensor is broken, not the one that you press down when you depress the clutch pedal but the one that is spring loaded and is released when the pedal is pressed. Does anyone know how much a replacement for this sensor is, or if it can just be hardwired and bypassed. I know this sounds confusing, but if someone can take a picture of the underside of the dash above the pedals i can highlight the sensor and maybe some of you guys can offer up some ideas.

talk to chris at spd racing... i sold him a pedal assmbly a while back. he might be willing to sell it.

Is this the one that disengages the cruise control or the one that tells the car not to start if you haven't pressed the clutch?

If it's the latter, I'd leave it broken, it will save some wear on the thrust bearings.

KpaBap said:
Is this the one that disengages the cruise control or the one that tells the car not to start if you haven't pressed the clutch?

If it's the latter, I'd leave it broken, it will save some wear on the thrust bearings.

nah hes talking about the other switch that is disengaged when you push the cluch. . you are talking about the switch that is engaged when you push the pedal down. . .i don't see it as doing anything for the actual mechanical function of the car. . but im not sure

umm thereare 2 switches, one that gets pushed in when you push in the pedal --- on my car that's the one that engages the starter

the other one gets un-pushed when you push in the pedal --- that one is for the cruise control

so yeah never mind my question, I don't see a reason why his should work any differently.

To answer the question:
You could not bypass the switch since it turns off the cruise if it senses voltage on that circuit. If you were to short the wires, then your cruise would never activate. If you left it broken, you'd just have to remember to disengage the cruise control before pushing in the clutch so as to prevent mad revving by the cruise control.

Last edited:
traitorhound said:
nah hes talking about the other switch that is disengaged when you push the cluch. . you are talking about the switch that is engaged when you push the pedal down. . .i don't see it as doing anything for the actual mechanical function of the car. . but im not sure

When you start the car there is no oil pressure which means the thrust bearings are not being protected. Having the clutch pushed in means the crank has to bear the load of the clutch. Now couple that load with some dry thrust bearings, and the couple of seconds it takes for the oil pump to get oil to those thrust bearings, and you can see how you're doing a little bit of damage every time you start the car. If you were to eliminate the clutch interlock switch, then you wouldn't need to push in the clutch to start the car which means there will be no load on the crank to wear those thrust bearings.

well see if thats for the cruise, then it shouldn't effect the car at all because its an mp3 and they didn't come with that option. however the car still wont start.

if someone knows how to bypass the sensor, even if its still functional, please post it here. I hate mine and have never had problems with cars that let you start normally, I mean checking if its in gear or not is just part of driving stick

ive moved on to thinking it's something other than the sensor after alittle testing of voltages and whatnot on both sensors and shorting both of them out. its time to move on to figuring out ways to light the car on fire and collect insurance money.

you are an idiot. the mp3 didn't come with cruise control to begin with, you would know this if you read the thread. as for my track record comment, you don't know me so stfu. please leave my thread and go somewhere where your comments are needed, like a thread about where to place your "sponsor" decals.

as for the car, i pulled the starter on a whim and tested it, the solinoid is dead. problem solved.

Last edited:
stfu.jpg

For those that might run a search later on:
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=&parentid=&stocknumber=08-80000

Latest posts

Back