clutch problem??

delguini

Contributor
:
Protege 5
Hey guys,

This one's gonna be a little hard to explain. I don't know if it's normal, but my clutch isn't 100% smooth when i press down on it. it's a bit bumpy. When i'm next to another car, i can actually hear it. Its really hard to explain. It's a little choppy. I only have about 65k on it and it's a 2002.

Any help or maybe our clutches are made like this? Do i maybe need a fluid change?

Thanks!
Joey

It's as if the car has wheel hop right??

Don't worry, mine did the same. I asked my friend and he said it's just Mazda, even his dad's new Mazda 6 does it. All you have to do is just rev it a little more.

I generally rev anywhere between 2000 an 2500 to get a smooth start in first.

Matt

Nah it's not wheel hop i'm talking about, i'm already aware of that problem ;)

it's just when i press the clutch down in general. it's way more noticeable when i'm stopped. it goes down a little choppy, not 100% smooth. the slower i press down on the clutch, the more noticeable it is.

delguini said:
Nah it's not wheel hop i'm talking about, i'm already aware of that problem ;)

it's just when i press the clutch down in general. it's way more noticeable when i'm stopped. it goes down a little choppy, not 100% smooth. the slower i press down on the clutch, the more noticeable it is.

Oh ok I see what you mean....

Ya I notice in all my friend's 90's VW's that the clutch is sticky and not smooth. I have no idea what it is though.

Matt

Does this only happen as you're about to take off in first or everytime you depress the clutch in gear or not?

it's whenever i'm stopped. I mean it would be hard to feel it as you're driving on any road, but i feel it mostly when im stopped somewhere and i put my car into gear

it really has nothing at all to do with the engine mounts.

put it this way, when i'm stopped, in front of my house, whether the car is on OR off, i press the clutch and it's not smooth. You can hear it when the windows are open, kinda makes a sound like when you crack your knuckles...

I really have no idea what that could be, but it should be pretty easy to see where the sound is coming from. Have someone sit in the car and push the clutch in and out while you are standing there with the hood up. You should be able to narrow it down pretty easily. you may need to remove your air box so you can see directly down to where the clutch slave cylinder pushes on the release bearing fork.

Last edited:
Back