Clutch issues on Speed 6

MS6S2K

Dealership giving me runaround so far on the Clutch TSB

Since I got this car (July 19th 2006), I of course instantly noticed how hard the clutch is to drive smoothly starting out, ect ect. I've been getting the clutch smell and my gf refused to drive the car because she can't stand the clutch. Ive driven 3 cars over 200k miles without a clutch problem ever, but this car has me weery. I was told that the clutch only has a 12 month 12k warranty. At this time, they are giving me the runaround on the TSB, saying they need to determine a problem, or they will not perform the TSB.

Is there anyone else concerned about this, and is anyone else having problems getting this TSB done? I'm taking in next Thursday, and I'll have my answer. If they refuse, I might just have to get rid of this car, because I can't stand that smell just parallel parking in a spot, and I have no plans on replacing a clutch at 50k miles. I drive a lot of highway, and this is my daily commuter, so it's not really much of an enthusiast car to me. I got it for the insane deal, the luxury, power and AWD, so other then some occasional stomps on the highway, and some acceleration modes once rolling, I drive this car normally and very easy for the most part. Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:
but if the dealer thinks its no big deal maybe your just paranoid and its in your head.. that souns more likely based on your description, the clucth is fast and tight but that doesn't mean theres anything wrong

gsrtype1 said:
but if the dealer thinks its no big deal maybe your just paranoid and its in your head.. that souns more likely based on your description, the clucth is fast and tight but that doesn't mean theres anything wrong

HUH (boom03) People have been living with this clutch the way it is, and they offer a TSB fix on it, and people are getting this fix. MY CAR IS WITHIN THE VIN # RANGE, and not only that the new Speed 6s and the current speed do not have this clutch setup, they have the TSB one. So what exactly is in my head now? This clutch is hard to drive smooth, JUST AS THE TSB STATES, and I get a burning clutch smell when parallel parking. If I even so much ride this clutch a little bit it reeks my entire cabin. Are you saying that the burning is NOT gonna wear this clutch out sooner? Anyway, I just don't understand why the dealer will not perform this. Apparently you do?

I've driven 3 cars over 200k miles on original clutch, and I never ONCE got this smell. Why is this car doing this? My guess is because the clutch is so hard to smooth out, and when I try and smooth it out, I get the stink, which to me spells premature wear. Isn't this a good reason to get the TSB done, and should the dealership perform it or refuse me? I don't see riding the clutch for less then a second should cause me to burn the clutch. Now I don't get the smell all the time. It's when I have to parallel park, drive in tight places, or sometimes when I get caught in traffic jam. I just never had a clutch this annoying before. I thought that's why there's a TSB.

Last edited:
You're right, the TSB states that if the car owner has complaints then for the dealer to perform the work...not if the dealer determines a problem. And like others have suggested have them drive you're while you are with them then drive a new one. They tried to pull the same sh*t with me, saying the work doesnt need to be done but after I went over the TSB with them and explaining that my car was in the first "group" of VIN's they went ahead and ordered the parts. The clutch is 10X easier to use now.

Don't take any sh!t from the dealer. Norco Mazda in CA gave me the run around and then I went to Browning Mazda and they fixed the clutch adjustment for me no questions asked.

The even found my factory BOV is defective and has a crack in its side and is letting boost seep out. They ordered a replacement for me but advised I should seek an aftermarket unit.

It all depends on the dealer. If there is a TSB they are supposed to take care of it period!! If I go in with a concern and they don't address it I try another dealer.

When I had my RX-8 they replaced the shift nob because it was rattling. So it all depends on where you go and how you talk to them. Don't say you know anything about the TSB just make all the complaints that are in them so that they have no choice but to do what you want.

Yeah. As others have said, either go to another dealer or let them know that you want it done. I didn't have any problems with my dealer. I told them about the clutch TSB, he looked it up and said "yep, there it is. Bring it in and we'll get it taken care of." He ordered the parts and I dropped it off today to get it done. My car is an "A-Type" so it's going to be a full clutch replacement.

This has been discussed over and over again on all the boards. If your dealer tells you they won't fix it, put a few more miles on it and go back and tell them you still are not happy with it. If they still refuse, ask them to check with their regional rep to see if Mazda will waranty it. As of right now, I haven't heard a single person say the dealer was willing to fix their clutch but Mazda denied the claim. If for some reason the dealership still gives you trouble...find another dealership. That's it....there is no mystery about this.

chuyler1 said:
This has been discussed over and over again on all the boards. If your dealer tells you they won't fix it, put a few more miles on it and go back and tell them you still are not happy with it. If they still refuse, ask them to check with their regional rep to see if Mazda will waranty it. As of right now, I haven't heard a single person say the dealer was willing to fix their clutch but Mazda denied the claim. If for some reason the dealership still gives you trouble...find another dealership. That's it....there is no mystery about this.
(werd)

Well, I should have never had to go through all that trouble. They still tried denying me after looking at car, so then I let them have it, making all the strong points and saying they either take care of this, or I will find another dealer, and they will not only lose my business, they will lose my father's business as well. I totally schooled the manager (in a kind yet firm way) and left her speechless. They then pulled a complete 180 on me. I figured playing hard ball would work, but it's not what I wanted to do, and it shouldn't have had to be this way, and I doubt I'll be going back there merely because this is something that SHOULD be done on a car on a customer's request. It should have not been this difficult. No excuse for what they did, but all is good now. :)

I completely agree with you. Its covered by the warranty, the dealership doesn't have to pay for it...they get reimbursed. The only issue they might have is the time and man power it takes away from their other work...but so ******* what...you are a paying customer and diserve to be treated as such.

It took a bit of haggling on my part to get mine replaced also...The service manager was aware that I was a returning customer and currently own 2 mazdas. I subtly hinted that throughout our test drive and managed to get them to agree without blowing my top and getting upset with them.

Back