clunking in front end, struts?

thecrash91

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
i have clunking in front end, and the passenger side is easier to push down then the drivers side. that is the side i get clunking, this is struts correct?

got almost 120k. but i just replaced both of them so i dont think it'd be them. they were replaced about 5k miles ago by my mechanic

when does it clunk??

i had a clunk, it was my wheel bearings going bad.

also, are you lowered?? if so, there's a washer fix for the top of the strut, because on lowered cars, the nut doesn't go down enough.

also could be ball joints

not lowered, but if it was wheel bearing why would one side be a helluva lot easier to push down then the other? and its when i go over bumps

hope its struts, gives me an excuse to get lowered! what other tests are there that i could do? is there a way i can determine between the two or is it hit or miss?
and how much would ball joint replacement be? was looking online and people are saying anywere in between about 200$-750$

Last edited:
hope its struts, gives me an excuse to get lowered! what other tests are there that i could do? is there a way i can determine between the two or is it hit or miss?
and how much would ball joint replacement be? was looking online and people are saying anywere in between about 200$-750$

well ball joints aren't serviceable on these cars. You need to replace the control arms.. same with bearings, if you do one, do the other. to check the ball joints, lift the car so the wheel is barely off the ground.grab a pry bar and pull up and down. if it moves in/out.. it's likely the ball joint.

if the tire moves in and out? or the suspension? sorry im kinda a car noob. but hell at least im trying to look up s*** and learn it first. haha so far its not working because cars are so different

well the tire really. b/c the tire's connected to the knuckle which is bolted to the strut/control arm/tie rod.

yes that is right. however, if you check ebay. there's brand new control arms for less than half of that price. i put them on my msp. good so far. some people have good luck, some dont. it's fine.

as for the struts.. if I were you, i'd find some lightly used struts/springs to throw on. **** new s***.

yeah i started a thread in the sale section. checked briefly but didnt find anything. id rather go with new that someone bought but didnt have time to put on or slightly used

awesome thanks. ill try that tomorrow when i get the time. i hope to god that its the strut and not the ball joint. was lookin it up and seems expensive to replace both control arms.
this is what i would need if its ball joint right?
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...9060&callout=5&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

if its struts this is what im gonna save up for
http://www.protegegarage.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_60_441&products_id=598

I recently put the Tokico kit from Protege Garage on my car. Nice drop, softer ride than I anticipated. Good for a daily driver. FYI ..I needed 2 washers on top each rear strut as spacers. When fully tight there was 1/8 inch of space left so it would clunk over bumps. Keep some handy when you install in case you have the same issue.

Attachments

• DSC_1303.JPG
    DSC_1303.JPG
    521.4 KB · Views: 104
yes that is right. however, if you check ebay. there's brand new control arms for less than half of that price. i put them on my msp. good so far. some people have good luck, some dont. it's fine.

as for the struts.. if I were you, i'd find some lightly used struts/springs to throw on. **** new s***.

This is just my opinion, but eBay is a pretty risky place to be sourcing suspension components. Go to RockAuto.com and look for the Beck/Arnley control arms. They're only about $75 each.

If you don't find them under the Protege5 section, look in the regular Protege section - it's the same part.

found them on the website you mentioned slavrenz
also, was looking into it, i love a stiff ride with minimal body lean. how does this setup sound. if its my struts, i will have to upgrade to tokico blues. and later on i would get springs. how does the ion racing springs with blues sound? they seem to have the highest rate for springs without going to coilovers.

found them on the website you mentioned slavrenz
also, was looking into it, i love a stiff ride with minimal body lean. how does this setup sound. if its my struts, i will have to upgrade to tokico blues. and later on i would get springs. how does the ion racing springs with blues sound? they seem to have the highest rate for springs without going to coilovers.

I don't have any experience with the Ion racing springs, so I couldn't tell ya.

well i was checking out that thread someone posted in the lowering thread someone just recently posted, and on the chart they are the stiffest that arent coilovers.

well i just jacked the car up and checked it out, the tires did not move up or down. so i guess its ok to drive it to a midas or such to see if they can do a suspension test. gonna look for one who will do it for free. still need to pick up my ignition coils. any other tests i could do to see if its ball joint? i read its kinda dangerous to drive around with busted ball joints, and not as bad for worn struts. worn struts will give you uneven tire wear and not as good traction correct?

Back