Clunk noise in driveline

New member here. I thought that I'd pass on my experiences with my Canadian CX7 GT AWD, bought in Jan 07 with a build date of 10/06 - now with about 9900KMs on the clock.

My dealer has done the Lag Below 2500RPM Reflash, P2006 CEL IMRC Replacement, Stuttering in Cruise Reflash and I still have the so called Transmission Clunk on the first forward departure of the day - normally at the 1 to 2 shift.

Evidently, the clunk is normal as described in Mazda Canada Bulletin 06-07 issued 12/06 - Clunk Noise From Brake Pedal When Accelerating From A Stop. The copy that they provided for me states that - The clunk noise is most likely to occur after a night soak. This is a normal operating noise of the ABS. It happens when the vehicle reaches approx 10KMH/6.2MPH when the pump motor in the DSC Hyd Unit starts operating and malfunction diagnosis is performed. Do not attempt any repairs.

Being the skeptic that I am, I tried it out the next morning with the trans in Auto Mode. Sure enough it clunked at the 1 to 2 shift. The next day I tried in Manual Mode where the trans did not shift; however, it clunked at exactly 10KMH. Therefore, I now believe that Mazda is correct here. The concern that I have now is that it did not happen when the car was new but it has started occurring over the past 2000KMs and seems to be getting louder. I fear problems with this component down the road.

The stuttering in cruise is interesting. In 6 Gear in Auto Mode at 110Km/70MPH at about 2200RPM, the trans seems to shift out of lockup mode under the slightest load such as a minor incline in the road. RPM increases to 2500 or so & will hold there until the road levels out again. If the same scenario is encountered in Manual Mode, lockup is held much longer but after a while the engine seems to start lugging (stuttering) and finally it will come out of lockup, increases to 2900RPM then slowly decreases to 2500RPM until it the road levels out. I did a 2 hour return test run today in no wind, on a quiet divided highway with many gentle hills. I estimate that in 6 Gear in Auto Mode, the trans was NOT in lockup approx 60-70% of the time whereas in Manual Mode it was NOT in lockup about 20-30%, albeit with some stuttering.

Not being in lockup while cruising seems to me to be negatively impacting hwy fuel economy. Furthermore, I suspect that the continual shifting in and out of lockup in Auto Mode might be detrimental to the longevity of the transmission.

My 2 cents worth.

The other thing i've noticed about manual mode is that it will change gears down to 5th and the display will still say 6. I know because the revs go up way too high so i've hit the downshift and the display changes to 5 but there is absolutely no change in RPM.

Just for fun, I tried driving in Reverse after a night soak. Sure enough, I got the clunk from the ABS self test at about 10KPH/6MPH while going backwards.

In my CX7, it defintely is NOT a transmission shifting problem.

Guys,

I have a FWD CX-7 and when the engine is cool, not necessarily overnight, and the transmission is shifted from P to R, there are two bangs. The first one is small and seems like you would normally get with any automatic tranny. The second one, which is followed about a second later is much more hard hitting! You can definitely feel it. It feels as if the tranny mount or engine mount is busted. After driving for a short distance the problem goes away, until the whole thing cools down again.

Anyone here with a FWD CX-7 experiencing the same problems?

Rick

Back