Closing Windows Issues

decal

I usually have the driver and front passenger windows rolled partially down when I'm driving. When I park I tend to turn off the engine before closing the windows.

The driver side window can close fine without the engine running but when I try to close the front passenger window nothing happens. I will have to start the engine again to close the front passenger window. This is very annoying. The windows can't be closed even when the internal cabin is powered (i.e. pushing the start button without stepping on the brake).

I feel like this is a standard feature that Mazda missed. Other cars I've been in don't require the engine to be on just to close the windows.

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I have the 2014 Touring and no tech package, if that makes a difference.

It isn't the most handy solution but if you hit the start button a second time with your foot off the brake it will then turn on enough that you can roll up the windows without actually starting the car.

Thanks HandA, I didn't realize there were two settings on that. I just tried it and it worked fine. Its better than turning on the engine that's for sure.

Last edited:
Just tested this, windows open, parked at work, switched off engine, both windows move up with engine off.

Just tested this, windows open, parked at work, switched off engine, both windows move up with engine off.

must be another one of those features that changes from location to location.

I was surprised that it didn't keep power to the windows until the door was opened like a lot of cars have done for years. Especially since unlike a keyed ignition you have to actually turn things back on rather than just stop in the ACC position while you shut all the windows and sunroof.

I usually have the driver and front passenger windows rolled partially down when I'm driving. When I park I tend to turn off the engine before closing the windows.

The driver side window can close fine without the engine running but when I try to close the front passenger window nothing happens. I will have to start the engine again to close the front passenger window. This is very annoying. The windows can't be closed even when the internal cabin is powered (i.e. pushing the start button without stepping on the brake).

I feel like this is a standard feature that Mazda missed. Other cars I've been in don't require the engine to be on just to close the windows.

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I have the 2014 Touring and no tech package, if that makes a difference.

You are right, this was a feature that Mazda missed and like other responders, it does work if you double click the starter button, but who wants to turn on the actual engine power without engaging the starter to roll up a passenger window? If you open your hood and listen to what is going on when you double click the starter button, you will hear electric motors whirring and this will definitely cause something to wear out over time (even if it is just the battery).

My 2007 CX-7 gave you 30 seconds to close the windows after shut down or until my wife opened her door :(, hate this on the CX-5 but I am learning. Yes hitting start twice works too.

This actually bothers me in a different way. Sometimes when my wife goes to grocery shopping, I would just wait outside the parking lot. So I shut off engine and pressed start button ONCE so I can listen to music. Sometimes, I need to crack up the roof or window for ventilation, so I press Start button again. But after I am done with that, I no longer need the power, so now I have to press again and car would shut off completely and then pressing ONCE more to get my music going again. 10 minutes later if I feel that I want to shut the window, I would have to repeat this process again. It's kinda annoying. Whereas the old days with the ACC and ON, just have to turn key left or right.

To be honest I think the push button is pointless, a gimmick.

My present keyless system still has a turn switch, just like always except you don't need to put the key in, now what's wrong with that?

^ Absolutely a gimmick. I have the Touring (no button on the door), so I still have to fetch my keys from my pocket to unlock the door. So... What's the point of a push button if I already have the keys in my hand? It's not like turning a key was hard.

^ Absolutely a gimmick. I have the Touring (no button on the door), so I still have to fetch my keys from my pocket to unlock the door. So... What's the point of a push button if I already have the keys in my hand? It's not like turning a key was hard.

I can unlock the doors from pushing on my pants, or stick my hand in my pants and unlock real quickly. No need to take it out, look at it and push the unlock.
I actually like this keyless fob.

I can unlock the doors from pushing on my pants, or stick my hand in my pants and unlock real quickly. No need to take it out, look at it and push the unlock.
I actually like this keyless fob.

Try that with thick gloves on like we have 6 months a year up here! Having to take your gloves off in a snow storm with 60 mph winds blowing -30 degrees air at you is a real PITA, believe me!

Try that with thick gloves on like we have 6 months a year up here! Having to take your gloves off in a snow storm with 60 mph winds blowing -30 degrees air at you is a real PITA, believe me!
When I was younger, before keyless ignitions and any kind of remote for that matter, sometimes the keyhole would freeze solid and it would be necessary to pee on the lock in order to thaw it out.

Now THAT'S a PITA! Of course, back then we had to get off the couch every time we wanted to change the channel on the Tele!

Life's a b****! LOL! I actually like the keyless feature. I leave my key fob in my jacket pocket. I do wish the fob had a shape that made it easier to distinguish one end from the other and that the two lock/unlock buttons were placed on opposite ends of the fob. But I'm sure I'll survive, LOL!

Last edited:
Haha! Yeah, at least all I need to get out from my pants is the key fob ;). I actually don't mind the fob, but I still think the ignition button is far less useful when you need to get it out anyway. It just looks good in comercials when they say "ignition button on all models!".

I still don't understand why it's useless or less useful.
It's one less step to worry about, having a key and jabbing it around to find the key hole to start the car, or looking and putting the key in. Or flip keys have to unflip, etc.
It's much more simple than if you had a key with a fob.
Take the fob out, unlock car, put it away, get in car push a button done. No fooling around with sticking the key in a hole.

Personally, when I'm walking towards my car, I unlock the door with the fob in my pockets still. I open the door, jump in press brake pedal and press ignition button. Boom car starts and I drive away.

Anyways. whatever some people over think things way too much.... there's a lot of useless things in a car. lumbar, why on driver and not on passenger, no need for that. Why rear view mirrors when we have side view mirrors, heck rearview mirror is blocking the front windshield, that's useless too.
Why steering wheel controls when there's controls on the dashboard already, that's useless.

I agree, I never take the key out of my pocket and just push the unlock button with it still there. (added a deadbolt with a keypad at home so I don't even need to take the key out to lock/unlock the house)

I do wish it would keep the accessories powered until you opened the drivers door like some cars. That way I could turn the engine off and finish a phone call or run the windows up etc. But on the other hand then those cars keep the radio blaring as you get ready to get out of the car and those people always look like tools to me. So I guess you can't win them all.

You can keep things powered up and turn the engine off if you put it in N and then press the start/stop button. It will shut the engine off but keep everything else on. You just have to remember to shift to P or it will roll away....

I have the GT+tech and I find the advanced keyless VERY helpful. I have small children, and wrangling them can be a real challenge as many of you will know. Its very convenient to be able to leave the keys in my bag or pocket and just walk up to the car carrying one child, and holding the other's hand tightly in the parking lot. I can get one of the kids to press the button and then start loading them in without having to fish out the keys. I only wish it had the auto-unlock feature like some other models do, that would be the best in my opinion.

I've never had any touble finding the hole... I thought that only happened in horror movies when the bad guy/monster/etc is just about to reach the car! ;p To each his own problems I guess.

Back