Clilmate Control Question...

dja0323

:
None
I know we don't get that option here in NA but do you think we could get a unit from Europe and get it installed on our Mazda3 here? Or, do you think the Mazda6 unit will work in the Mazda3? Hmmmm... Just curious. It'd be a sweet option to add (esp here in the freaking hot desert!).

dja0323 said:
I know we don't get that option here in NA but do you think we could get a unit from Europe and get it installed on our Mazda3 here? Or, do you think the Mazda6 unit will work in the Mazda3? Hmmmm... Just curious. It'd be a sweet option to add (esp here in the freaking hot desert!).

I don't think it will work. I believe all of the controls are actually cable-operated behind the dash. The electronic ones all have different heat exchangers and vent controls which have motors on them. I highly doubt they adapted electronic controls to a cable. You will most likely have to swap all of the HVAC system.

N1XRR said:
I don't think it will work. I believe all of the controls are actually cable-operated behind the dash. The electronic ones all have different heat exchangers and vent controls which have motors on them. I highly doubt they adapted electronic controls to a cable. You will most likely have to swap all of the HVAC system.

I mostly agree. And it does feel that the vent/defrost/floor control is cable operated, but the temp selection knob doesn't feel like it's connected to a cable. If it is, it's very smooth. We may have a mechanical HVAC system, but it's possible that the wiring and connectors for the automatic climate control system are in there. It could be as simple as buying the control unit, the servos and plugging them up. I've seen Ford do this on some of their other vehicles. Even though it didn't have power windows or locks, the wiring harness was in the door.

rodslinger said:
I mostly agree. And it does feel that the vent/defrost/floor control is cable operated, but the temp selection knob doesn't feel like it's connected to a cable. If it is, it's very smooth. We may have a mechanical HVAC system, but it's possible that the wiring and connectors for the automatic climate control system are in there. It could be as simple as buying the control unit, the servos and plugging them up. I've seen Ford do this on some of their other vehicles. Even though it didn't have power windows or locks, the wiring harness was in the door.

I hope they didn't do that. Its a terrible way of controling an HVAC. Its well known that cable-operated controls tend to wear out after a few years. Maybe its a fact of just replacing the flappers for the temp and vent controls? Dunno, its a new car and I don't think anyone's even look at this yet.

I guess it will be worth looking into. I just noticed that the climate control unit for the Mazdz 6 looked an aweful lot like the one for the Mazda 3.

dja0323 said:
I guess it will be worth looking into. I just noticed that the climate control unit for the Mazdz 6 looked an aweful lot like the one for the Mazda 3.

Anyone know when a bootleg factory service manual is going to get thrown up on the site? Maybe it will show the schematic for automatic climate control also.

Back