Clicking noise after moving from rest

:
2010 Mazda 5 Sport
Hi all. So far the first week has been great. Have a question about a noise I hear. This is a click (one click only) that only seems to occur if the car has sat for around 5 minutes or longer. When started and put into gear and it starts to move, there is a metallic click that occurs about maybe 5 to 10 seconds after the car starts to move. I heard this same noise in my wife's old FX35 as well under the exact same circumstances. Nothing appears to be wrong. I'm thinking it might be coming from the brakes or TCS System as the ABS computer goes thru it's diagnostic thing.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I received confirmation thru another forum that it's the ABS self-test. That's what I thought it was but wanted to make sure. I think we're good to go..

It's not ABS related - otherwise we'd all have it.

My bet is thaqt it's "Pad slap" where the brake pads are slapping against the fwd stop in the caliper. When you brake, they shift to the back. Then when you release, they shift to the front. The one-click gives it away. It's not a problem, however.

It's difficult to tell how the 'clicking' really sounds.. unless maybe you can put it in youtube.
I have a 2006 GT and regularly it produces series of click/clack occasionally somewhere
in the brake area. Then I read somewhere in the owners manual how the ABS uses part of its idle routine to 'run diagnostics' on the abs.

But if it a loud metallic click, and it is 'permanent' (i.e. the service rep can hear it) then I would go to the dealership, let them hear it. And then see if it happens on the mazda5's in their lot.

So I'm not the only one. Thought I was going crazy. It is just as you describe. It only occurs once during a startup. My click or ping sound only occurs once I get the car up to or beyond 20 kph. Can you test this symptom on yours? The dealer could not reproduce it when I mentioned it and could not explain it when I described it. I did not have the time to sit and take them on a joy ride. Up for a service soon and I'll make a point to reproduce the noise.

LeMoeCND
2010 M5 GT MT

It's not ABS related - otherwise we'd all have it.

My bet is thaqt it's "Pad slap" where the brake pads are slapping against the fwd stop in the caliper. When you brake, they shift to the back. Then when you release, they shift to the front. The one-click gives it away. It's not a problem, however.

A good theory except this happens as you accelerate from rest if the car has been off for about 5 or more minutes (estimate). No braking involved. And it does it consistently, every time. May depend on the year of the vehicle. Anyway, as you say, not an issue.

There is a TSB about driveshaft clunking that is common on the 06-07 models, and it appears the 2010's have it as well. The solution is to have a different washer between the transmission and driveshaft that prevents it from sliding in and out of the tranny.

Hmmm. That could be something, but for now, I'm going to table it till the first service! I'm trying to find a way to get some more power!

MY 2010 makes this clicking noise as well, only after being at rest for at least a few minutes. I can't tell if it's a relay clicking sound or something heavier like the axle shaft. It's done it since the day one. It SEEMS to be similar to the clicking sound I hear when the TCS/DSC engages and then disengages.

MY 2010 makes this clicking noise as well, only after being at rest for at least a few minutes. I can't tell if it's a relay clicking sound or something heavier like the axle shaft. It's done it since the day one. It SEEMS to be similar to the clicking sound I hear when the TCS/DSC engages and then disengages.

Anton,
Try turning off the DSC and see if it makes the noise. If it doesn't do it with the DSC off, it has to do with the system preventing wheel spin.

Just to confirm, my Mazda 5 is doing exactly the same. It sounds like a small stone hits onto the underframe. Only once and only if i switch off the engine and then starts it again and starts to move with 15~20 k/h speed.
Good to know that this is not a problem but just DSC.

FYI, conclusion from a dealership:
ROAD TESTED, CONFIRMED COMPLAINT. CONCERN IS NORMAL OPERATION. NOISE IS COMING FROM ABS HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT SOLENOIDS TURNING ON. CONTROL UNIT IS LOCATED RIGHT IN FRONT OF DRIVERS STEERING WHEEL IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT.

Good to know. Thanks for your persistence.

I was in the garage the other night checking the air in my Civic's tires. Behind me was our 5. I heard this bizarre noise that sounded like a pump coming from the rear end. I still have no clue what it was. I'm hoping it's something to do with gas vapor or something, but it was obviously mechanical, or active and not passive, in nature. Anyone?

Have exactly the same issue with my 2010 touring.
I brought the car to dealership 2 times and asked them to diagnose front suspension. The answer always was cant reproduce problem. It was looking really silly from outside when we did a test ride with serviceman and it always turned out to be a perfect silent operation. Luckily I brought the car in connection with some other minor maintenance operations to be performed, so it wasnt looking too odd :)
On third occasion they do noticed the noise but from the rear suspension when the car was going over bumps. They changed rubber bushings above rear shocks for free (warranty).
Now I don't worry about this noise. Good thing I noticed this thread!!!!
Oh one small unrelated question.
If I'll do my maintenance in DIY mode will it affect the warranty?
I do work on my other great american car myself (the Last Oldsmobile - Alero GLS 2004), but this car is way off the warranty.
Thank you guys in advance,
Alex

Last edited:
Back