Civic Type-r on my A**

Carson, and MP3girly,

You both have very valid points made here. There is no "safe way" to race in public, so it's better not to. When ya race on public roads, it's just like playing Russian Roulette. It's just a matter of time before BANG (or CRASH). People who street race (Especially in the rain!??) are askin for it. I am a hypocrite! I need some local, leagal means of racing. Can anyone provide any assistance? :confused:

Bahhh Linux, there's no good way out. We're just gonna hafta risk it. Autocross is fun, I'm even going to one this Sunday, but those are only once a month, and each run through the course usually does not last more than a minute. I've said it before, I totally condone street racing - just not at 120+ in the rain. If you want to rev your engine at some WRX and he wants to race, by all means, if you've got a semi-straight road in front of you, GO FOR IT! But you don't 1) endanger other people and 2) you keep your speed at a reasonable level. So yeah. I hafta go to school now.. -_-

Linux! You're in luck! There are numerous opportunities in your area (I think, I only know you're from Texas)! You are in the Southwest Division of the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America)
This link takes you to the SW Div. web sites that SCCA has on their website: http://www.scca.org/interactive/regions.html#swdiv
Looks like there's gonna bee an autocross on Jan.6 at Gulf Greyhound Park in Houston.
I don't know if that's close or not. Looks loike there's a Houston region, a Texas region, West Texas Region and a Lone Star region. The all have websites listed at the link above that you can check out. Also, check out http://www.scca.org this is the main SCCA website and they have information on how you can get started in autocross and/or club(road) racing. Looks like there's got to be some opportunities for your there somewhere. I suggest autocross to start out. It is fairly cheap and easy to get started and it is a lot of fun. When you register just tell them you're new (they'll probably figure it out when you walk up there dazed and confused with $25 in your hand) and they'll walk you through the whole thing and tell you exactly what to do.
BTW I love your handle. I'm a big Linux fan myself!!

HEY, I just noticed that MP3Girly is from Texas. She is an autocrosser and can probably knows what's going on in you area better than me! She seems freindly, like most autocrossers, and will probably help you get your bearings when you want to go give it a try!
Show those people out there what the MP3 is all about!!
Girly, do you just run your stock Dunlops for autocross? If so what tire pressures do you usually use? If not, what tires do you use and how do you like them? I know this is off topic but the thread has gone this way, Sorry!

Haha, yeah I'm a Texan aux'ah, and Linux, if you want a little help, I'll be at the race this sunday at Gulf Greyhound. It's near Galveston, an easy drive for me - I dunno about you.

And yeah, I race on muh stock Dunlops. The suggested tire pressure is 40 all around I think, but sometimes I slack and don't fill up.. I just sort of run out there and do it. I've got a thing through Discount Tire for free tire rotation and balances for life, and I think I get free replacement tires, too, so I kind of abuse them.. o__o;;;

Yeah I've been running 42 in the fron and 39 or 40 in the rear and it doesn't look like they are rolling over onto the sidewall. They did look like it when I ran 38 in the front though, so I wouldn't go below 40. I take everything out of my trunk including the spare when I auto-x and I notcied that I can get the back end to slide around a bit if I have 40 or more in the rears, which is kinda nice to offset the understeer in our cars. But I usually keep it right about 39 for racing in the back. It just feels right that way. I can get it to oversteer just a bit by trail braking. I noticed that going a bit higher in the front sorta helps the understeer as well. I've got 7500 miles on the car now and about 20 or so autocross runs and about 50 min. of road racing time on the tires and they are starting to show some wear so I'm already getting ideas about new tires. My dilemma is to go with a set mounted for just autocross (Kumho Ecsta V700's...STICKY but wear out fast)on another set of rims and get a new set for normal driving that are less prone to wear but are good for performance, like the Dunlops. I'm having trouble finding the right wheel tire combo that will fit properly on the MP3 for the Kumhos.

A couple of comments friends, one: yes a cop will pull over 2 cars at once, and not even just because you are racing; it's happened to me twice (1 street race, one just driving). two: Not everyone lives in a place where you can test your car on a track legally, so street racing is a way to have fun in your car, you gotta do it responsibly though. pick an open fairly straight road, try to do it from a stop light or at least a stopped position and don't race for top end for God's sake! I feel illegal street racing is about bottom end, the first person to reach the quarter mile mark or 70/80 miles an hour wins. That's how my friends and I do it anyway. I do live in a rural area though, and that makes a difference. I agree that 120 mph on the highway is extremely excessive. I haven't had my MP3 above 95 miles per hour, and that speed was on the interstate in perfect weather conditions. the sum: if you feel the need to race on the roadways, do it safe (a safe roadrace, is that an oxymoron?) well, that's just my humble opinion, please feel free to rip it apart :D

Hey

Thanks everyone for the info!! MP3Girly, and Carson Black, much props to the bothaya! We all will have to meet up when permisable. In the near future, I may take a trip down to the Houston area. Girly, I will look you up! As far as Linux goes, Phuk M!crosoft. :mad: That OS has no stability compared to a Unix-based OS... If you are tired of crashing, and are not afraid to learn something new, give Linux a try: http://www.linux.org http://www.linux.com

I've had me Linux-based webserver up and running for over 400 days straight now with great performance and no problems at all! There is simply nothing else that can touch it except for UNIX OS's like AIX or Solaris but they are $$$. While it's not necessarily appropriate for the desktop, there is no reason why anything else should be used for a server.

Back