Circuit's 03.5 Protege5

How do you know that new sensor was good? If it was an aftermarket one from NAPA or whatever they're junk and often go bad out of the box.

That is true. It is a Bosch OEM plug-in sensor from RockAuto.

I am going to have Reg come by this weekend and try out his primary O2 which is known to be working since his car runs fine.

Primary O2 sensor is bad.

That is true. It is a Bosch OEM plug-in sensor from RockAuto.

I am going to have Reg come by this weekend and try out his primary O2 which is known to be working since his car runs fine.

Tested with Reg's primary O2 and that seemed to fix the issue, so I bought a brand new one. Threw that one in today and the car is running much better, but still not perfect. I now only get the hyper-lean condition at very slight throttle (cruising or slow acceleration). Anything more than a little throttle it runs fine, even WOT. Very slight throttle it goes super lean and even bogs. New video: http://vid351.photobucket.com/album...0-114D-4F09-A8E7-B7D7752175CB_zpstr4frk6d.mp4

Thoughts?

Dang nice looking car!

Thank you sir!

Just read through your thread and I must say its a welcome documented thread. I love what you have done to car, its very inspirational and a entertaining read.

I love how the rim look in these pictures, especially how flush the wheels are with the fenders in the last pic. What is your wheel setup in this pic for the tires & rims (brand, size, width & offset)?

Circuit_Emotive.jpg

web-1.jpg

web.jpg

Just read through your thread and I must say its a welcome documented thread. I love what you have done to car, its very inspirational and a entertaining read.

I love how the rim look in these pictures, especially how flush the wheels are with the fenders in the last pic. What is your wheel setup in this pic for the tires & rims (brand, size, width & offset)?

Thanks. They are Blitz Type-01 wheels with 205/40/17 Falken 512's. Offset is effectively +25 front and +30 rear, as they are originally +35 all around and I added a 10mm bolt-on spacer in the front and a 5mm spacer in the rear.

Still can't get car to run right. Replaced EGR valve, spark plugs, coil packs, and primary O2 sensor. Likely just going to part the car out. :(

I just recently had the same problem with my car. Lean conditions at idle and car struggles at anything past 4k rpm and not being able to go WOT. Wideband was reading around 16 to 17 at idle. Also stumbles when I blip the throttle at idle, then eventually disappears when the car warmed up.

There was an exhaust leak between my turbo and downpipe where the nuts kind of vibrated themselves loose over time. Also replaced my plugs/wires/coilpacks. Car is running very good now.

I noticed that you didn't replace your plug wires in your posts, so that could be one thing to check too. And maybe exhaust leaks since I noticed you only checked the intake side of things. Just suggestions before you part out so much effort/work/passion.

Last edited:
I just recently had the same problem with my car. Lean conditions at idle and car struggles at anything past 4k rpm and not being able to go WOT. Wideband was reading around 16 to 17 at idle. Also stumbles when I blip the throttle at idle, then eventually disappears when the car warmed up.

There was an exhaust leak between my turbo and downpipe where the nuts kind of vibrated themselves loose over time. Also replaced my plugs/wires/coilpacks. Car is running very good now.

I noticed that you didn't replace your plug wires in your posts, so that could be one thing to check too. And maybe exhaust leaks since I noticed you only checked the intake side of things. Just suggestions before you part out so much effort/work/passion.

Yeah I've been doing a lot of searching. My issue is that I can go WOT and even 50% throttle are no problem. Full pulls to redline feel great. I've had exhaust leaks before and this is nowhere near what I was experiencing. The wires I got replaced under warranty from Nology 2 years ago so I don't think those are the issue. I am also getting a P0660 hidden CEL, and swapped the solenoids and nothing different. Maybe the actuator for the VIC died? IDK.

Chris, I had a lot of trouble with the VIC and the VTCS solenoids. I had a code for nearly two years. I tried electrical spray, replacing vac lines, JT even sent me working solenoids to swap out. What ended up fixing it was injecting some di-electric grease into the plug head and reconnecting the solenoid. I guess it just had a weak connecting from solenoid to plug. I recently did the same fix on a local's p5

Both of those you can watch working. It is a easy check. Not sure that would make it run lean though. My guess is fuel regulation.

Dont get frustrated. When you figure it out it makes it all the sweeter. I got mine going just in time for me to crash it. But it will be back, just time and money.

Chris, I had a lot of trouble with the VIC and the VTCS solenoids. I had a code for nearly two years. I tried electrical spray, replacing vac lines, JT even sent me working solenoids to swap out. What ended up fixing it was injecting some di-electric grease into the plug head and reconnecting the solenoid. I guess it just had a weak connecting from solenoid to plug. I recently did the same fix on a local's p5

I only have VICS since I have an MP3 intake manifold.

Both of those you can watch working. It is a easy check. Not sure that would make it run lean though. My guess is fuel regulation.

Dont get frustrated. When you figure it out it makes it all the sweeter. I got mine going just in time for me to crash it. But it will be back, just time and money.

I agree, I don't think the VICS solenoid not working well could cause the lean issue. I was reading a thread last night with something about the throttle body, but I can't find it now... damnit...

I agree, I don't think the VICS solenoid not working well could cause the lean issue. I was reading a thread last night with something about the throttle body, but I can't find it now... damnit...

Even if the IAC would open for some weird reason the o2 sensor should pick up on that and make the computer dump more fuel. Sorry i'm still stuck on fuel. I'll be quiet now. :)

I only have VICS since I have an MP3 intake manifold.

are you referring to the AAS screw on top of the throttle body?

Back