ChumpCar MX3 Build

Hey everyone... just a build thread for a Chump Car me and a few friends being built. Thought it'd be nice to share some of our problems and hopefully get some solutions for issues we encounter.

First, some pictures of the car in question...
2011-04-11_frontRight.jpg

2011-04-11_OnTrailer.jpg

It's a 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 1.8L V6 with a spun bearing. We also scored a second engine in the deal...all for $400. Luckily, the car came with a host of parts we were happy to see:
- KYB struts
- new strut hats
- new 6 puck sprung clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw-out bearing
- aftermarket air filter
- aftermarket steering wheel
- cross-drilled rotors
- stainless steel lines
- front strut brace

Problem is, there were a host of other problems we found along the way:
- engine had been bottle-fed
- PS leakage EVERYWHERE
- hockey puck rear mount that was poorly executed
- most of the hoses were brittle, along with most of the wiring

We eventually stripped the interior from the car:
interior.jpg

We still need to dry ice the sound deadening material and get that removed.
We also yanked the broken engine. And prepped the other engine for installation:
engines.jpg

But, I still had to get around to fabbing up new motor mounts:
engine_mount.jpg

The previous owner decided to over-torque the mounts, thus stripping the threads on the bolts... Apparently, Autozone doesn't have the proper engine mounts (front and rear), so buying them new wasn't going to work; OEM Mazda was $70/ea, way over budget for our needs.
So, the old mount bolts had to be removed, and new hockey pucks fitted :)

A friend came by and wanted to do something... the fender was originally rusty so we gave him a belt sander. He sanded the fender down, then sprayed it black. not back for 45 mins of work.
Also managed to reinstall most of the front suspension, with half a coil cut from the OEM springs.
front_susp.jpg

Interior back in after all the unnecessary crap was removed. I need to go through all of the wiring and remove all of the wires that fed the radio, e-con, etc, etc. I've already stripped most of the rear wiring to only taillamps and fuel pump.
interior_returned2.jpg

Our future rear brake ducts...I had a late night idea of making z06 type of brake ducts. My friend went to town and started cutting.
interior_returned.jpg

brake_ducts.jpg

Our new air filter location :)
air_filter.jpg

Our goal to have it running on the 1.8L V6 by tomorrow for a track day won't happen though. We're missing too many little things to get everything working :(

Some other issues we ran into:
- PS/AC delete. We removed the PS and looped the lines. Removed AC too, and somewhere along the line I threw out the pulleys. Oops. Now I need to find another pulley to make everything work.

- Shift linkage fell thru the floor. Previous owner did the ghetto "screw it in the plate" mod... I welded it to the shifter plate.

- The gearbox wiring was soooo brittle that a lot of the wires broke off. Thankfully it's just the reverse switch and the neutral safety... I'm hoping I can just ground the neutral safety switch and the car will start. The reverse switch I could care less about.

So far, the total build cost is:
$400 - car
$30 - hockey pucks
$20 - junk yard parts (shift linkage, various mounts, bolts, hoses)
$1000 - autopower roll cage (includes shipping)
$10 - Battery kill switch
$120 - window net, 6point harness
$100 - water pump, pcv, thermo, crankshaft seal (for KLZE)
$1000 - KLZE engine (includes shipping)
$100 - Miscellaneous crap (hoses, wires, bolts, etc)
------
$2780

Our total OOP budget is $3000. We still need a seat and fire system. Seat we're getting for free from a friend, and the fire system/bottle will be less than $50. Not bad for a Wheel-to-Wheel race car. We could have done it for $2000 if we opted to not go with the KLZE... but the 200hp is nice, as we plan on only revving it to 5000rpms to save the motor, afterall, it's endurance racing.

engine_installed.jpg

It's in and it runs!!

2011-05-15_jackinthebox.jpg

We quickly installed the wheels and took it out for lunch with a chase car to offer any support if needed.

Car ran fine and revved up to 7800 freely, even with the vacuum lines all messed up. The brakes were sucky, but it's because we didn't have the brake booster hooked up.... on the return route home, stopped at VatoZone and got a hose, brakes worked perfectly afterwards. The car moves with the swiftness. Very surprising actually. Being completely gutted and 190hp, the car is likely on par with my track-***** S2000, in terms of hp-to-weight ratio. But, we're going to back off the rev-limiter to about 5500rpms for reliability and longevity sakes.

Facebook video of it alive

We did run into some minor issues...
1. Water pump pulley. I made the larger diameter hole'd pulley to fit the smaller pump. Bad idea as the belt jumped, flew off the car, and took out the alternator belt with it. All happened on our test run...oops. Found the proper pulley at the junkyard today.
2. CELs. Only two! EGR (we don't have one) and Pressure Solenoid... erm. Likely an issue with the intake plumbing.
3. Metalic grinding noise from both hubs. Likely the brake discs or dust shields rubbing against the rotors. Haven't determined exact cause.
4. Had the two-pole kill switch wired incorrectly. Fixed that today and tested, car shuts off immediately now :)
5. one of the sender wires near the alternator broke off. Had to rewire that up...
6. We depowered our steering rack... and it sucks to drive. Went to the junkyard and found a 323 with a manual rack.
7. The steering wheel that came with the car is one of those speed-shop specials... flimsy and crap. Feels like we're going to rip the wheel off when driving. Will need to find a proper wheel.
8. Alignment is WAY off. Will have to fix that after we reinstall the steering rack.
9. the seat we got for free is a super nice seat, except one of our core team members doesn't fit in it (he's 6' 3"). With a helmet, his head would stick out the sunroof. oh noes!

More pictures as we get more done...

And kc, thanks for that link! Good to know there's others who have built a Mx3 for lemons/chump racing! We're hoping we have the same kind of luck! We may even enter it into the $2012 GRM challenge :)

Some updates from the past week:
1. replaced water pump pulley and all is well :)
2. Swapped out for the ZE intake manifold and now the idle is hunting. not sure if it's an EGR issue since we don't have one, or the lack of the coolant temp sender.... the stock intake manifold didn't cause the idle to hunt, so my initial thought is to ignore the coolant temp sender... may just be a hose issue.
3. Fixed the metalic noise. brake dust shield was touching the rotors. Pushed away and all is savvy.
4. Installed the 323 manual steering rack... soooo much better than the depowered rack.
5. took the car out to a local autocross... some thoughts:
- holy hell does this thing got some grunt.
- holy hell does this thing hate bumps. it's a little scary on transitions. It feels extremely top heavy. We're planning on cutting the springs more to drop the ride height and get the center of gravity a bit lower
- alignment was set to 1/8th toe-out in the front... the rear alignment wasn't touched. Turn-in was nice, but static turns felt like the car was pushing too much. Will likely add in some toe-in to the rear to see if that helps.

6. The cage arrived today. Will have fun welding that all together.
7. third gear grinds... BADLY. double-clutching upshifts bypasses any grind...double-clutching downshifts just makes the gearbox laugh and still grinds.
8. Borrowed some scales and weighed the car, sans driver and about a 1/4 tank of fuel:
curbweight_precage.jpg

Yep, 2174lbs. we still have the passenger seat in (being removed per rules), the rear hatch (being removed per rules), and a ton of wiring that isn't needed...I'm guessing the seat is maybe 25lbs, the rear hatch 100lbs, and the wiring maybe 10-15lbs... we'll be able to get the car to just about 2050lbs with a full tank, sans cage. The cage is around 200lbs... so, that'll put race weight at 2250lbs, add driver and we're around 2450lbs with our heaviest driver.

2450lbs / 200bhp = 12.25lbs/hp. not bad at all. As reference, my S2000 is at roughly 11.85lbs/hp. not bad at all.

Back