Chrysler 300C SRT-8 around the 'Ring

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
06-300c-srt8-track-f.jpg

On foot, the Foxhole is a collection of meandering bends that flows gently downhill before climbing into a lazy sweeping left-hand curve. In a charging Chrysler 300C SRT-8, it's a whip-crack 100mph flurry of tight turns that test body control and chassis dynamics to the extreme. Shimmering tarmac, new-old-new Armco, towering oaks and candy-stick rumble strips are hurtling towards me at unfeasible speeds.

The big American saloon hunkers down, bullets through the curves and rockets up the incline with only the slightest of squirms at the bottom, as the front strut and multi-link rear suspension gets heavily compressed. Then it's hard on the brakes, pitch it left into Adenau Forest and onto the next part of this impossibly demanding Nurburgring. All the way through, the Chrysler feels capable and at home.

06-300c-srt8-track2.jpg

The car's makers are keen to demonstrate that their newly hotted-up 300C - complete with 6.1-litre V8 Hemi engine - is sharp enough to take on the 13 miles of Europe's most demanding road circuit, which is open to the public for about a tenner a lap. That's a lot of confidence, because the Nurburgring will mercilessly expose any dynamic shortfalls within a single lap.

06-300c-srt8-f3q.jpg

Chrysler has yet to crack the tough European sports saloon market. When you have cars like the BMW M5, Mercedes E 63 AMG, Audi's upcoming RS6 and Jaguar's S-type R to deal with, you need something pretty special to lure buyers away.

Chrysler believes the 300C SRT-8 could be the car to do it. Fettled by Chrysler's SRT division - that's Street and Racing Technology - the SRT8 combines steroid-enhanced performance and bouncer looks in a good-value package.

06-300c-srt8-eng.jpg

It certainly looks the part - in fact, it's almost a caricature of an American muscle car. Check out those deep flanks complete with kerb-kissing bodykit, gun-slit windscreen, 20" alloys and massive discs, split exhaust, vast grille and out-of-my-way headlamps. Few cars give such a vivid visual description of their performance potential.

Beneath the SRT-8's dining table-sized bonnet sits one hell of an engine. The 6.1-litre 90-degree V8 is an enlarged and significantly modified version of the 5.7-litre found in the standard 300C. Bored out by 3.5mm and fitted with new intake and exhaust manifolds, bigger valves and reshaped cylinder ports, the iron-block engine whips up 425bhp at 6,000rpm and 430lb-ft of torque at 4,800rpm

06-300c-srt8-wheel.jpg

High-performance cams, a forged steel crank, powdered metal conrods and sodium-filled valves have also pushed the peak engine speed up from 5,400rpm in the regular 300C V8 to 6,200rpm in the SRT-8. It's hooked up to a five-speed automatic gearbox with manual override and drives the rear wheels.

Even with a hefty 2340kg kerb weight, the SRT-8 still touches 60mph in five seconds dead and goes on to 168mph, which pokes a sharp stick in the eye of the M5 and E 63 AMG, both of which are limited to 155mph.

06-300c-srt8-s-a.jpg

To ensure the chassis can keep up with the engine, the SRT-8 gets bespoke Bilstein dampers, recalibrated springs, fatter anti-roll bars, a 13mm lower ride height and less assistance on the power steering for improved feel. The brakes also get overhauled - Chrysler turned to Brembo to develop the anchors on the SRT-8, getting 360mm front and 350mm rear discs, all ventilated and gripped by four-piston racing calipers.

The cabin gets the full works, too, with electrically adjustable leather-wrapped sports seats, dual-zone climate control, leather and brushed aluminium highlights, and a whopping 280-watt, six-speaker audio system. Build quality is decent enough, but some of the plastics are a little hard and brittle.

Track time. Oddly enough, for a mildly tuned big V8, the Hemi feels merely very brisk below 3500rpm, as if the torque curve is not quite as high and flat as it should be. But wind it over 4,000rpm and the engine really shifts. In-gear go is terrific, the SRT-8 squatting down on its fat haunches, catapulting forward and blaring out a nape-tingling V8 wail that would sound at home on a NASCAR oval. This engine loves to rev, and blipping the throttle at idle zips it up to an easy 3,000rpm and rocks the whole car for that true muscle car feeling.

One of the great things about the Nurburgring is that its surface is rutted, pitted, peppered with off-camber corners and generally made up of dozens of different patches of tarmac and concrete - just like a typical British A-road. Despite its huge wheels, stiff suspension and rubber-band tyres, the big Chrysler's suspension does a pretty good job of dealing with all but the worst intrusions, only getting jittery over the most acned surfaces.

06-300c-srt8-f.jpg

The SRT-8 feels more than capable of anything the circuit can throw at it. Body control is good, with roll, pitch and dive well contained. It doesn't feel scalpel sharp, but there's enough of a glint in its eye to make you want to tackle another lap. The engine's ability to hustle out of corners and make short work of the straights is matched by the wonderfully strong and resilient brakes and the slick, quick-shifting automatic transmission.

The weakest point is the steering. For a start you have to grip an almost comically large steering wheel, reminiscent of a mid-70s Mercedes-Benz. Even though the SRT changes include reduced hydraulic assistance, the steering still feels mushy around the straight-ahead position. Lob it into a corner and there's less clarity and more vagueness than you'd hope for. Instead of being able to hold a line confidently through a long, sweeping corner, you find yourself having to make a number of small adjustments to keep repositioning the big saloon where you need it.
06-300c-srt8-r3q.jpg

It's difficult to pigeonhole the SRT-8. While it has the performance to sit alongside the M5, E 63 and S-Type R, it's nowhere near as nimble and focused as those rivals.

Then there's the question of money. Although it's not as finely honed as the BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar, it's dramatically cheaper, despite being fully laden with luxury and safety goodies. At 39,040 it's 24,455 cheaper than the BMW and 27,505 less than the Mercedes.

It's no replacement for an M5, but for less money than some pretty ordinary family cars, the SRT-8 is a performance car that will put a grin on anyone's face.

06-300c-srt8-kerb.jpg

06-300c-srt8-f3q-far.jpg

http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature/feature.jsp?id=3334

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/C/chrysler/300C/03-large/06-300c-srt8-wheel.jpg

How fast around the RIng? They didn't say...

BTW, after reading a sentence like "The SRT-8 feels more than capable of anything the circuit can throw at it." I can't help but diregard all opinions of this car the writer expresses. I mean this is a $40K American luxo-barg after a few weeks with the cream and the clear. How can this car take-on anything THE most challenging track in the world can throw at it?

This only serves to highlight the problem with autmotive jounalism these days: the fact no one is willing to give a negative impression; to call a spade a spade. This is a moderatly powerful 5,000lb (2.5 tons!) car. There is really nothing special beyond the power (and the "bespoke" bilstien shocks!). How can 600 pounds of pushrod furry and $500 worth of shocks compete with this?:

2005_MercedesBenz_AMG_V8_Engine_BenchTest.jpe

Yeah, I don't know either, but our author makes the inference that the SRT-8 is in the same class as the E63.

In the interest of full disclosure, the President of my company purchased one of these SRT-8's as a commuter car (!) for his 45 mile commute. I get to see it on an almost daily basis and I like it every time. Its just the right mix of size and proportion. The body treatment really makes the car look desireable. Unfortunatly, from an auto enthusiasts standpoint, the car simply can not hold a match to the best the Germans have to offer.

Post Script:

The only way for the SRT-8 to gain respect (and do so almost immediatly) would be for it to become the basis for NASCAR stock cars. I would tune in to see SRT-8's trading paint at 200MPH!

For the money, thats a BAAAAAAAAAD ride! Honestly if I could afford it. I'd drive one no problem. It's not mean't to be a corner carver but it sure can boogie and you'll put a whippin on many a merc or bimmer owner knowing that you paid MUCH less for 90% of the experience they are getting. Heck with the money you save, buy a lightly used 350Z and have that as your fun ride! Two-Fer!

NVP5White said:
Unfortunatly, from an auto enthusiasts standpoint, the car simply can not hold a match to the best the Germans have to offer.

M/B E 63 AMG $85,375.00
BMW M5 $81,200.00
Jaguar S Type R $63,330.00
Audi RS6 is said to be around 85k.

Now the SRT-8 Chrysler, 39,920.00! Thats on average half as much as the other four cars. You can not beat the american cars when it comes to power for dollar. Now if the 3 big U.S. companies were to spend the same amount of money as the others we would be on top of that too. But I think there will be more of us regular people driving the SRT-8 then the M5s or AMGs.

I think the writer did a good job in the article. You say that you dont think that the car can hold up to the best that the Germans have to offer. Well its pretty darn close to it and at only half the price. I think thats what the author was trying to point out. At least thats what I came away with.

Bang for your buck american cars win IMHO. From the SRT-8 to the CTS-V, Z06 to the new Mustang. And thats not even getting into the up and coming cars. Coming from an automotive background and actually driving this cars ( I ran a few automotive shops) I can honestly say I would gladly drive the car that has a little lower class plastic and just as much performance any day of the week as long as I can save 40 THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

I truly dont understand were all of the IMO unfounded dislike or even hatred towards the American car companies come from. I can go threw this forum and fined people that have as much problems with their Mazdas and any of you ever had with your American cars. But hay, I might just be partial to one side because Im american.

think of the SRT8 as teh Hyundais of high-end large sedans

it's not as refined as the competition, but you get a lot for your money

yes i just compared a chrysler to a hyundai lol

Hughes412 said:
M/B E 63 AMG $85,375.00
BMW M5 $81,200.00

Now the SRT-8 Chrysler, 39,920.00! Thats on average half as much as the other four cars. You can not beat the american cars when it comes to power for dollar. Now if the 3 big U.S. companies were to spend the same amount of money as the others we would be on top of that too. But I think there will be more of us regular people driving the SRT-8 then the M5s or AMGs.

I think the writer did a good job in the article. You say that you dont think that the car can hold up to the best that the Germans have to offer. Well its pretty darn close to it and at only half the price. I think thats what the author was trying to point out. At least thats what I came away with.

Bang for your buck american cars win IMHO. From the SRT-8 to the CTS-V, Z06 to the new Mustang. And thats not even getting into the up and coming cars. Coming from an automotive background and actually driving this cars ( I ran a few automotive shops) I can honestly say I would gladly drive the car that has a little lower class plastic and just as much performance any day of the week as long as I can save 40 THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

I truly dont understand were all of the IMO unfounded dislike or even hatred towards the American car companies come from. I can go threw this forum and fined people that have as much problems with their Mazdas and any of you ever had with your American cars. But hay, I might just be partial to one side because Im american.

Facts people, we need FACTS!

I understand the intention of the author was to make the SRT-8 *seem* comparable to the German uber-sedans. That's probably why he didn't post a lap time. See, without the fact of the lap time there is no basis for comparison except for his opinion.

That and his comments about the one tiny little short coming of the car:

"The weakest point is the steering. For a start you have to grip an almost comically large steering wheel, reminiscent of a mid-70s Mercedes-Benz. Even though the SRT changes include reduced hydraulic assistance, the steering still feels mushy around the straight-ahead position. Lob it into a corner and there's less clarity and more vagueness than you'd hope for. Instead of being able to hold a line confidently through a long, sweeping corner, you find yourself having to make a number of small adjustments to keep repositioning the big saloon where you need it."

Hello? The steering? Isn't that like THE main point of interaction between man and machine. I don't hear anyone (ANYONE) complaining about long gas pedal travel! Whats left if the car can't turn well? The author did mention the car's great looks ["It certainly looks the part"] and so did I ["I get to see it on an almost daily basis and I like it every time. Its just the right mix of size and proportion. The body treatment really makes the car look desirable."] So if the author likes the car, I don't know how anyone could come away thinking I have a blind hatred for American cars. I even suggested a way to get me to watch NASCAR, the most American type of car racing.

Now, about the other two cars you suggested were indicative of America's new found prowess of car design. The Cadillac CTS-V (what no type-R in there for good measure) is a fine automobile if you can overlook minor details such as "the dash's material looks like that in the latest Accord, but the more expensive Cadillac can't match the Honda for the soft, tactile feel of its interior materials."(edmunds.com) Oh and the dash bares too much resemblance to Sloth (who)...you know, from the Goonies.

CTS-V%20+%20Sloth.jpg

And the Corvette Z06...well I like the car. A lot. But its not a sedan so its really not relevant. In fact, its so not relevant that not even GM mentioned the 50th anniversary of the winningest model of race car ever built. The Corvette p0wns and no one that makes them cares to talk about it.(autoextremist.com)

Finally, the most intersting point you made was when you said "Now if the 3 big U.S. companies were to spend the same amount of money as the others we would be on top of that too." So...what if they spent that much? Maybe we wouldn't be talking about bancrupcy? Union strikes? Major suppliers dropping like flies? Do you think if GM could manage it-self out of a paper bag it would let a little money spending stand in its way? In fact I beleive the biggest fault in the analysis of GM is to conclude that it was their corporate philosophy that made them penny pinchers which lead to poor products. That's plain wrong, its their incompotence that made them a failure. Penny pinching was just a symptom of the greater problem.

PS: Its the big 2 now. Chrysler was baught by this small German company Daimler Benz. I heard that have this start-up called Mercedes who makes some wicked fast cars. So if Chrysler isn't spending enough to keep up with itself, it only has itself to blame for itself, or something.

I think you might want to look up your facts first. It's not the car makers that are killing the big 3 makers. It's the corrupt auto workers unions that are killing the profits and driving up the prices. Why on earth would a union need to sponsor a NASCAR race? Not just a car but the whole race! There are a lot of reasons for the down fall of the big 3, but to try and bad mouth the execs only is just crazy.

But back to my point. The auto makers give you the best car for the money. If you want to spend twice the money on a car just because it has a little better PLASTIC then Ill call you a fool. But you do have to look at who would by these. Those 4 cars even in Europe are so expensive that the average Joe cant afford it. Yet with a little penny pinching the average blue collar guy can have one bad ass American muscle car that not only runs like a scalded ass ape, but it also looks great. Not just that, but how many of you would take your 80,000 dollar AMG and auto cross it or take it down some twisty road while pushing it to the limit? Ill answer that one for you, NO ONE! Not unless you have money to burn.

And dont for get this one. The cars made in Europe are little dainty cars made for little dainty roads. They focus on handling and light chaises. We have large roads that need large cars. This lets us have more power and torque.

Im not bashing just you, and dont take it personally. But I just get so tired of hearing how the American cars are so much worse then others. That s*** just isnt true. You get what you pay for. And with that Ill buy that SRT-8 over any high price luxury car and invest the 40k I saved. In the end they all just get you from point a to point b.

Oh and I forgot this part. You want facts?

M/B E 63 AMG $85,375.00
BMW M5 $81,200.00

Now the SRT-8 Chrysler, 39,920.00!

I see 40,000.00 facts that prove the SRT-8 is better.

A couple of thoughts...

First, as a business-minded person I look back at the decisions made over the last 20 years by the big 3 and conclude that they did not comply with their fiduciary responsibility to the company and the share holders. Simply put, the captains of the corporations signed big union deals, and they squandered away profits (sometimes in the form of huge dividends to the very shareholders they worked for. Can you say job security!) without properly preparing for the future of their business. Certainly, union costs are what are driving GM et al out of business, but the union's only responsibility is to their members, and in that regard union leaders did an excellent job.

Now, about the price thing. My very first contention was that the author was full of horse doodie when he made argument that the SRT-8 was equal to the task of the Nurburgring without providing a lap time. This is especially dubious when taken in the context of his comment about the steering.

So to wrap up here, I really do not think my comments add up to blind hatred of American cars. As for the SRT-8, I think its a good car. Certainly, it is out of my price range, and if I could afford one, I would probably pick something a little more fleet of foot. But the point is it is not equal or better, especially only because it is cheaper. Using that logic, I might even be able to make an argument that my P5 is better then all the cars mentioned in this thread because I bought it for $13K.

Regards,

Ed S.

NVP5White said:
A couple of thoughts...

First, as a business-minded person I look back at the decisions made over the last 20 years by the big 3 and conclude that they did not comply with their fiduciary responsibility to the company and the share holders. Simply put, the captains of the corporations signed big union deals, and they squandered away profits (sometimes in the form of huge dividends to the very shareholders they worked for. Can you say job security!) without properly preparing for the future of their business. Certainly, union costs are what are driving GM et al out of business, but the union's only responsibility is to their members, and in that regard union leaders did an excellent job.

Now, about the price thing. My very first contention was that the author was full of horse doodie when he made argument that the SRT-8 was equal to the task of the Nurburgring without providing a lap time. This is especially dubious when taken in the context of his comment about the steering.

So to wrap up here, I really do not think my comments add up to blind hatred of American cars. As for the SRT-8, I think its a good car. Certainly, it is out of my price range, and if I could afford one, I would probably pick something a little more fleet of foot. But the point is it is not equal or better, especially only because it is cheaper. Using that logic, I might even be able to make an argument that my P5 is better then all the cars mentioned in this thread because I bought it for $13K.

Regards,

Ed S.

Well I don't not agree with you I DO see your point. He should have given a time. I also know we all have an opinion. You do make some good points.
Pease
B

Back