christmas bonus. what to get?

:
03 p5, 92 miata
so got a whole $300 in christmas bonus from my part time job, yah i know not a lot.

so i want to get somehting for my p5. going between:
lowering it but not sure if thats wise due to winter is right now.

exhaust system - gotta get a little more $$ for that. was thinking of this since it isnt a ton of money but dont know if its good http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/BRO259302.htm

mp3 ecu from spicyorange.

any other ideas of what i can do? i figure bonus money shouldnt go towards bills of any kind since hey, its a bonus!

You serious? Some people don't get xmas bonuses and I am full time and got a third of that. Save your money.

You should always start with a plan of what your goal is for this car and then work toward it.
In my case, I knew the N/A limitations of this motor and decided I just wanted to turn it into a more fun-to-drive Daily Driver. So I did the basic I/H/E bolt-ons + MP3 ECU and
then worked on suspension and brake upgrades (all the while tossing in some appearance mods to personalize it more).
I've had the car for six years and I still enjoy getting into it every morning for work.

$300 suspension?

Can you get a full suspension for $300? Tell me where!
I would go with short shifter and cheap sound dampening. My cousin did the cheap version and said it made a whole lot of difference so I plan to do that to my car too with this. Enjoy!

I'm full time, and salaried for that matter. I got nothing, which is exactly what I'm entitled to..

you poor guy, you only got what, more than week's pay?

(bang)

buy this, its on xmas special. you'll still have half left.

XMAS SPECIAL

Last edited:
Yeah, this year, I'm working Thanksgiving, the day after, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Years Day (not to mention most other holidays throughout the year). What's my bonus? Zero dollars and zero cents.

Got any credit card debt? Make the wise choice and pay some of that down. $300 isn't going to to get you much for your car at once.

alright i guess i owe some kind of apology to everyone. i figured it was standard to get a bonus from a job, especially a full time one. my friend is getting around 2k for xmas and year end and makes fun of me for what i got and his gf for getting 500. sorry all!

not sure what i want to do, might save it for suspension in the spring, might pay off some things. i just hate taking bonus money or bday/xmas money and putting it towards bills. makes the money not feel like a gift anymore.

alright i guess i owe some kind of apology to everyone. i figured it was standard to get a bonus from a job, especially a full time one. my friend is getting around 2k for xmas and year end and makes fun of me for what i got and his gf for getting 500. sorry all!

not sure what i want to do, might save it for suspension in the spring, might pay off some things. i just hate taking bonus money or bday/xmas money and putting it towards bills. makes the money not feel like a gift anymore.

A lot of people do get bonuses but in the shape the economy has been in I would be grateful to get ANYTHING extra. Bills never go away though. You need to pay those s**** first.

Also, your friend sounds like a dick.

You should always start with a plan of what your goal is for this car and then work toward it.
In my case, I knew the N/A limitations of this motor and decided I just wanted to turn it into a more fun-to-drive Daily Driver. So I did the basic I/H/E bolt-ons + MP3 ECU and then worked on suspension and brake upgrades (all the while tossing in some appearance mods to personalize it more).
I've had the car for six years and I still enjoy getting into it every morning for work.

This is hands-down THE best advice I've ever heard when it comes to our cars! Protege's are known more for their handling abilities and fun-to-drive factor than their straight-line performance, so unless you're looking to spend bank on an FMIC in the future, it would be wise to spend that money on maximizing your car's handling potential by upgrading the stock set-up.

Save it towards that Tokico struts/springs set-up you've been wanting. That would be a great place to start with your suspension/brake upgrades. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
I would first start with an Intake. I have the Red K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake. I would start with that for instant gratification.

I have no mods to the engine of my P5 and I put the MP3 ECU in and I love it.... Gives it just a little bit extra zip. Nothing crazy but you'll feel it. Best 150 i've spent so far.

Hey Alamo, how did that MP# ECU affect your gas millage? That sounds like a nice simple mod.

from what ive read about it, seems like people still get the same or maybe better mileage out of it. this might be a mod ill do this spring while i can borrow someones car and end my own ecu out to be reflashed

No bonus here, but I'm full time w/great bennies doing what I should have been doing ten yrs ago.

I have xmas, birthday, etc...checks that I still haven't cashed cause I feel the same way. Buy something you will enjoy. F paying the bills, that's what the paycheck is for. Just buy something you'll enjoy for a long time, don't blow it, make it worthwhile and you won't regret it

Back