Choosing between the 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD and 2014 Mazda6 GT

if a sedan works for you, then get the 6. Its a much nicer vehicle than the CX-5.
Only reason I got the CX-5 is because I have dogs and need the hatchback.

Our dog is part of the family. My wife would consider it child abuse to put him in the cargo area. Yes, he loves to run, swim and play so he does get filthy (but so do we). We just cover the back seat with a sheet. Yes, probably safer for the dog in back, I know.

He's our little co-pilot and loves to stand with his rear legs on the rear seat, front on the center console. He uses the front seatbacks as shoulder braces for cornering. Always shows an active interest in where we're going and he thinks he has the power of mind control. That is, if he concentrates intently enough about where he really wants to go, we will go there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but he always tries because, when it works, it was worth it. ;-) And he rides in the same place in our sedan so the dog was not a consideration in terms of sedan vs. suv. I imagine if our dog was 100 lbs. it may have been.

How many of you have a dog(s) that rides with front legs on the center console?

I have two German short haired pointers. One likes to whine until he's allowed to sit in the front (displacing myself or my wife to the back if we're not interested in a 65lb lapdog) while the other has to sit in exactly the centre of the cargo area facing rearward.

When I bought the CX-5 I invested in a nice dog barrier for the cargo area, and despite the continued objections of the one who fancies himself a co-pilot, both dogs can ride comfortably and safely in the rear.

I had a first-gen Mazda6 previously, which worked okay with the dogs because it was a 5-door model. That option is gone and I wanted a little more utility anyway, so the CX-5 made sense. 0% interest sealed the deal.

Our dog is part of the family. My wife would consider it child abuse to put him in the cargo area. Yes, he loves to run, swim and play so he does get filthy (but so do we). We just cover the back seat with a sheet. Yes, probably safer for the dog in back, I know.

He's our little co-pilot and loves to stand with his rear legs on the rear seat, front on the center console. He uses the front seatbacks as shoulder braces for cornering. Always shows an active interest in where we're going and he thinks he has the power of mind control. That is, if he concentrates intently enough about where he really wants to go, we will go there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but he always tries because, when it works, it was worth it. ;-) And he rides in the same place in our sedan so the dog was not a consideration in terms of sedan vs. suv. I imagine if our dog was 100 lbs. it may have been.

So, how little are we talking here?

I have a Maltese that is more than welcome to ride up front. Doesn't shed, isn't big, and doesn’t rustle about.
My Catahoula, however, sheds an incomprehensible amount, likes to look out the window, has bad breath, etc. She gets the boot area all to herself. When she was younger, she contested. Now, she will just sit back there, jealous of the other, who is typically curled up in her momma's lap.

When it gets REALLY hot in the summer, we don't really have a choice, and have to allow her onto the back seat, which I cover completely with a couple of blankets. There just isn't enough cooling ability in the heat of Texas summer to condition the air all the way back there, with the sun pouring into the back glass as well...

So, how little are we talking here?
He's 34 lbs. (that's his photo to the left).

He loves the heat and is often found lounging in the only spot with direct sun when it's in the 90's. Even though he's all black, go figure.

He wanted me to get the black CX-5 (he loves all black creatures, cats, birds or other black dogs) but I over-ruled him for the white.

I should have said, I have 2 dogs and a baby. My 55lb. aussie thinks the baby is the yummiest popsicke ever made and never stops licking her face. She is also obsessed with my wife's dog, a mini Eskimo, and will roughhouse with him endlessly. It would be a zoo if we had them all in the back seat! The aussie also loves being back in the hatch. Lots to watch! (and bark at....)

My aussie LOVES riding in the front seat of my truck though, and she has a harness to clip onto the seatbelt.

My old miata was the best car ever for a small dog. The eskimo loved to sit on the package shelf.

What is the condition of your frequently traversed roads?

Here in rural Australia, the road conditions often approach 3rd world status, especially after a deluge of rain.

Lumpy bumpy roads = CX5, otherwise choose the 6 for handling.
The 6 has a very sensible 55 series profile tyre on the base model which will cope with moderately poor conditions well.

I have to concur with the recommendation to "get both." A littke over a week ago, my wife got a '14 CX 5 and I got a '14 6 GT. We are very happy with both of them although I must admit we're both stilll on the first tank of gas! I think whichever way you go you will be happy. Best of luck!

Yea, I just put the back seat down. The only thing is I don't like his wiener (occasionally) leaving spots on my armrests/door; at least it's leather. He likes to hang out the window; I don't really think he likes the front not to mention the one time he did sit up front he did a good job of blocking the mirror. We have a chow/lab mix red/brown and furry.. Wasn't so much an issue with my tan interior Escape, but with the black CX-5 it's just means I vacuum more often.

How can you compare these 2 cars, there not even in the same class and are completely diffrent...
Small SUV vs Sedan...
Prius vs Hummer...
Apple vs Orange...

From my perspective when you shop for a car you first decide wich class of car fit your need, then you compare different cars in this class.
If someone is hesitating between these 2 its most likely because that person didnt identifify their specific need and is just shopping for equipment.

Good luck deciding wich car

These 2 cars are not even in the same class and are completely diffrent...
Small SUV vs Sedan...
Prius vs Hummer...
Apple vs Orange...

From my perspective when you shop for a car you first decide wich class of car fit your need, then you compare different cars in this class.
If someone is hesitating between these 2 its most likely because that person didnt identifify their specific need and is just shopping for equipment.

Good luck deciding wich car

These 2 cars are not even in the same class and are completely different
Small SUV vs Sedan...
Prius vs Hummer...
Apple vs Orange...

My 2 cents

Good luck deciding wich car fit your need

Since when do the Prius and Hummer share the same framework?

That's right, the 6 and CX-5 share alot of componentry, right down to the frame and chassis.
They are not that dissimilar at all.

Since when do the Prius and Hummer share the same framework?

That's right, the 6 and CX-5 share alot of componentry, right down to the frame and chassis.
They are not that dissimilar at all.

For me sharing frame and chassis doesnt make it similar...
Just like a mazda 3 sedan and mazda 3 hatchback is different...wich will fit different need and/or personnal preference

6 and Cx-5 are even more different

Last edited:
Back