chip tuning for 5?

red headz

:
Mazda5 GT
I am new to Mazdas... and our Mazda 5 GT.

I've owned VW's for a few years, and pretty deep into my 2000 VW Golf TDI. The diesel market supplies some pretty simply power upgrades: ECU chips, injectors, tuning boxes...

What is available for the 5? (or a 3? if we have the same engine...) I know we are not speed racers, but an extra 20-30hp would be great.

michael.

not sure about ECU chip, but you can definitely get CAI, which will give you extra 10hwp.

If you decide to go with ECU chip, let us know how it works out.

Dima

I am new here, and I am thinking about getting a CAI for my Mazda5, but I am hesitant, since I have an aftermarket free-flow exhaust, which is already loud. I know that once I slap on a CAI, the noise will be too unbearable.

BUT if I do, I hypothesize that I might get better performance from a quality short ram intake, like the the one from autoexe, since it seems to concentrate a larger amount of air in a shorter amount of time. But I hear that short ram intakes in the MZR engine cause the engine light to go on. IS THIS TRUE?

On the related topic: I agree that CAIs generally have a greater affect in increased HP in Mazdas 4 cyls due to the long-stroke design of the engine. Engines with shorter strokes, like hondas, don't get this kind of HP lift. 10 HP sounds right, and it's actual alot for a simple bolt-on. The only other engine I can think of that gets that kind of HP gain for such a simple enhancement is the rotary engine.

Last edited:
I'm interested in tuning options that have the opposite effect: I would like to sacrifice performance to increase fuel economy. When I bought my 5 in 07, the vehicle was advertised with mpg up to 50 highway. Actual is about half that.

I'm interested in tuning options that have the opposite effect: I would like to sacrifice performance to increase fuel economy. When I bought my 5 in 07, the vehicle was advertised with mpg up to 50 highway. Actual is about half that.

Who the hell was advertising that?

Cai

I have a Mazda 5 GT and was looking around to chip my ECU for more H.P. gain and better fuel economy. Do you have the website URL for the CAI chip tuning? Thanks.
not sure about ECU chip, but you can definitely get CAI, which will give you extra 10hwp.

If you decide to go with ECU chip, let us know how it works out.

Dima

I have a Mazda 5 GT and was looking around to chip my ECU for more H.P. gain and better fuel economy. Do you have the website URL for the CAI chip tuning? Thanks.
Unless I'm mistaken, CAI is Cold Air Intake. There is no chip tuning mod for the Mazda5. Modern cars are getting more and more integrated making it harder for chip tuning. I believe most if not all nwer cars have one integrated PCM (ECU+TCU).

Dyno or not, I do not believe any CAI can net 10whp on a Mz5; 10 at the crank, sure but there's a trade off some where (low or high end).

Back