Checked out the CX-9 today... (looong read)

I'm a newbie here, but thought I'd weigh in anyway. I'm presently looking to replace an aging SUV and one of the vehicles I'm considering is the CX-9. I've eliminated a lot of others, and frankly the other one I'm looking at is the SRX. For what it's worth, one of the things that makes the CX-9 a finalist is that it's not "like a minivan." For my purposes (two large teenage daughters, sometimes a third adult, plus a relatively large dog), the size works. We shouldn't need to use the third row very often, and if you don't, cargo space seems quite big. But there is that option.

Just as importantly for me personally is whether it is fun to drive. Frankly, an MPV looked and was thought of (by me) as too much of a minivan. The CX-9 looks, and drove, like a much more fun vehicle. Hence, it's in the running.

The more folks try to act like it is the successor to the MPV, the more it turns people like me off, for what it's worth.

Regards.

Lexx said:
Ok, obviously we're going to get to a stage here where there is going to be disagreement, and with good cause. That's why this is being classified as a different vehicle, a CUV rather than an SUV or a minivan. There are definitely things about the CX-9 that are worse than a minivan (huge rear doors vs. sliding doors, less raw hauling space, 3rd row accessibility) and there are things about the CX-9 that are better than both the CX-7 (much smoother to drive, more space if you need it, significantly increased towing capacity) or the MPV (much more fun to drive, a very different image, more towing capacity, greater clearance for the urban jungle).

My point I guess is that you have to evaluate any car against your own needs and the CX-9 (or any CUV) is not a fit if your needs are a minivan.

the cx-9 might be smother but the cx-7 is sportier and faster than the cx-9 perdiod!!! handles better and is more fun to drive!!! IMO the cx-9 is great but for big families!!!

spike blue said:
the japanese MPV is the most sexy van ive ever seen!!!
Dude, you also drive an A4. Stop talking about "way faster" CUVs and "sexy" minivans :). Bah! Go enjoy the A4.

i'm also really dissapointed that the cx9 replaced the mpv. sliding doors and interior height are huge when i'm loading my daughter into her car seat.

5 years ago i wouldn't be caught dead driving a minivan. now i'd love to have an odyssey or sienna in the garage. since i can't afford those, the mazda5 fits our needs the most.

Last edited:
Lexx said:
Dude, you also drive an A4. Stop talking about "way faster" CUVs and "sexy" minivans :). Bah! Go enjoy the A4.

LOL thas funny!! To tell you the true the cx-7 is fast as the A4 , ive race my brother ( he was driving the A4 ) me in the cx-7 and it was tight!!! The cx-7 does 0-60 in 7.8 and the A4 does 2.0T does 7.6 so i enjoy driving the cx-7 as i do when i drive the A4 !!! Actually my brother is driving the a4 , im driving the cx-7 ( im giving it to my Dad ) im getting the wild child the ms3 in two weeks!!!

the cx-9 is a suv. the mpv is a minivan. granted the 9 "replaced" the mpv here, but that doesnt mean its supposed to pick up all the things that a minivan is supposed to do and have. so to say that the 9 should be more like the mpv is not the point.

if foolish likes the mpv more so than the 9, theres a reason for it, the mpv is a minivan and offeres more use of space etc than an suv. that doesnt make the 9 a worse vehicle than the mpv its just different. apples n oranges here.

the new mpv is sweet i dont know why they arent selling it here either, that thing would go head on with toyota and honda, and from the looks actually offer some driving excitement.

CX-9 over a VAN

We got rid of a fully loaded 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring with DVD/NAV to get the new CX-9. The CX-9 is a much sportier and more attractive vehicle. THere is plenty of cargo space, and the ride is much more comfortable.

Latest posts

Back