Check engine light

(bang) ok i got my engine light at 190 miles on my odometer, that is 2 days after the delivery of my CX-7. Returned to the dealer for warranty service, to include the wheel vibration im getting at 70+ mph. To cut the the story short, Codes pulled = PO455 "gross evaporative leak due to gas cap defect". They replaced it with the new updated gas cap, rebalance both front wheels.
The result: "Lights Out" and now drives "Smooth" as it should be for something new. Hope it stays out. (hear ya)

Check Engine Light that won't go away.

3,197 miles and in the shop for my 4th CEL.

times 1 & 2 - tighten gas cap
time #3 - 3 weeks ago - new gas cap & gas filler pipe
Time #4 - who knows - the dealer checked and it was a different code that the gas cap but when they analyzied everything the computer was checking, every falue was "normal". Now getting Mazda Techline involved again.

I told the Service Manager about the fuel detection pump, his response was he can't replace anything underwarranty without Mazda's approval.

2 months & 4 CEL - will this problem ever be resolved?

I'm lookin into Ohio's Lemon Law just incase. In Ohio if the CEL is on you can't get your car certified under e-check, which means you can't renew your registration. So the CEL isn't just a pain in the butt, but can cause the car to sit with no registration. Mazda really needs to aggressively address this problem.

I'm happy with the dealer because I know they are trying just about everything in their power to resolve the problem.

G-Papi said:
OK guys. Here's my question. My CX-7 is an early production model (purchased early June.) So it probably has the gas cap that's causing CEL's for everybody else - only on mine it hasn't. I'm at 6k miles.

Should I ask for a new cap, or just leave the darn thing alone, and hope for a continuation of my lucky run?

>> as an x-helicopter mechanic (Q/A), "I myself truly beleive in the prevention of the occurence of defects". I recommend getting it fixed/replaced before it happens. It is one of the reasons why were here sharing points.<< (thought)

CX-7 said:
>> as an x-helicopter mechanic (Q/A), "I myself truly beleive in the prevention of the occurence of defects". I recommend getting it fixed/replaced before it happens. It is one of the reasons why were here sharing points.<< (thought)

Thanks - I believe that too - may as well get it done.

Okay... almost at 5k miles for me and my CEL came on this morning. I was there when my dealer changed my gas cap. They were aware of the problem and replaced it with the newly designed(?) one before I took delivery.

So, I do not have any idea yet what my code will be. I'll find out soon. Grrr.

CX7_Scott said:
Okay... almost at 5k miles for me and my CEL came on this morning. I was there when my dealer changed my gas cap. They were aware of the problem and replaced it with the newly designed(?) one before I took delivery.

So, I do not have any idea yet what my code will be. I'll find out soon. Grrr.
Keep up posted CX7_Scott. update on mine I haven't gotted the CEL back since dealer replaced gas cap. (first)

Don't know how "smart" this idea is, but I called the dealership and they asked if the CEL was blinking, I said no, I told her that I already had the cap replaced... so I'm not sure what it could be. She asked me if it was running fine. I said yes, nothing out of the ordinary.

She said it's "possible" that if the last attendant did not tighten it correctly, then it still may trigger a CEL. Now, I JUST (this a.m.) filled my tank and tightened it myself. I mentioned: "I thought that once a CEL came on, it needed to be "cleared" by the computer, right?". She said if it IS because the cap was not tightened before, it may clear itself within a few days. Something about needing to burn-through about 1/2 tank for it to register or something.

She says as long as it's running fine, give it 3-5 days and see if it goes out... if not, bring it in.

So... we'll see.

If it's like the older mazdas, the light will go off but the code is still stored in the computer until it gets cleared. But yeah, if the light goes off (may take 30-60 miles) you have probably solved the problem.

Kansei said:
If it's like the older mazdas, the light will go off but the code is still stored in the computer until it gets cleared. But yeah, if the light goes off (may take 30-60 miles) you have probably solved the problem.
if the code stays on the computer, will that have impact down the road. say when i have to renew my registration and it has to pass smog check?

cx7myfirstmazda said:
if the code stays on the computer, will that have impact down the road. say when i have to renew my registration and it has to pass smog check?

Not sure about cali but I know in CT it doesn't matter if a code is stored.. they'll see that a code is stored, but if the check engine light isn't on, it isn't a current problem.

Kansei said:
Not sure about cali but I know in CT it doesn't matter if a code is stored.. they'll see that a code is stored, but if the check engine light isn't on, it isn't a current problem.

chris, is that true? i thought a stored code had to go through a "cycle" before it would either clear or be rejected? maybe that's just her in masshole (as you would say)?

Yeah but once it is gone from the owner's standpoint (when the light goes off) it is still stored in the ECU for future reference. Once the car goes through a "cycle" without issue the light will turn off. In CT they just care if the light is on, though they do plug in to the car to read sensor data.

My light went off on its own, came back on again shortly after. Spoke with my dealer from Lodi, NJ, they told me that Mazda is aware of the situation and is manufacturing a better gas cap with a tighter seal. Once this is replaced, it will resolve the issue. ....

Granite... if you or a gas-station attendant didn't put the cap on tightly, it can trigger it. Happened to me at 5k even though mine was replaced before I took delivery... went-out on its own.

New Fix?

Just got my car back after taking it in for my 3rd CEL that came up on 11/1. Here's what they found - straight from the Service Repair Order:

Performed MDS inspection has multiple codes. Ran evap diagnotics found a distorted pipe to the fuel tank. Replaced fuel filler pipe. Did communications connection and harness test and rechecked. Rechecks good.

They didn't list the Code #s and I had to wait two days for the new pipe they ordered.

So far I've gotten a new gas cap, new leak detection sensor and now a new gas filler pipe. I certainly hope this is it!

CX7_Scott said:
Granite... if you or a gas-station attendant didn't put the cap on tightly, it can trigger it. Happened to me at 5k even though mine was replaced before I took delivery... went-out on its own.

Scott, the thing is that we did not fill any gas these past few days, last night was fine. It rained last night til early this morning in NY and I found CEL on this morning when I drive to work.

Bummer...Is this consider manufacturer defect?

GraniteGreyCX7 said:
Scott, the thing is that we did not fill any gas these past few days, last night was fine. It rained last night til early this morning in NY and I found CEL on this morning when I drive to work.

Bummer...Is this consider manufacturer defect?

It takes a couple "drive cycles" (anywhere from 15-60 miles of driving) for the computer to run all the tests and register a condition for a check engine light.

I would really hate to live in New Jersey with the overzealous CX-7 evap system. For those who haven't been there: you aren't allowed to pump your own gas at all, so you have to rely on the gas-boy to tighten the cap properly.

Have there been any new developments on resolving this issue from Mazda? I know people have been told about a redesigned gas cap, but don't remember if anyone actually got one yet or if it is even finished. Then some sensor was thought to be defective in some people's cars. Mazda really needs to get this fixed before the 08 model year. What a stupid little problem to hurt people's ownership experience on an awesome new model.

Back