Check engine light code p0171

bluedragon10

:
2010 speed3
P0171 System too lean ( bank 1 ). My car is a 2010 speed3. the set up i am running right now is PG inlet and intake, hks bov ( recirculating ). I recently put the stock parts on to get the oil changed at the dealership, no cel at this time. about 6 days ago i put the upgrades back on. the cel has been turning on and off intermittently, it was off for about 5 days then just yesterday it came back on. The car runs fine, I havent noticed any power loss. Does any1 have a solution. PLEEEASE HELP!!!!(sad2)

did you make sure all your hoses are on tight and clamped with no leaks? i'm running an intake and inlet also with no issues. IDK about the PG stuff but is the intake a gen 1? i know the MAF housing has changed for the gen 2 so that could be your issue if your running a gen 1 intake.

i e-mailed ken from PG. he did say that the MAF housing was bigger for the 2010, and that he was going to send me the 3 inch unit, but he hasent got back to me to confirm anything. I hope this fixes the problem.

How does a P0171 code trigger the check engine light? This code will trigger the check engine light as follows:

The adaptive fuel strategy in the vehicle's computer constantly monitors the fuel delivery system to make sure the engine is running at an optimum air to fuel ratio, which is 14.7:1. The computer adjusts injector pulse width to regulate the amount of fuel going into the engine. The oxygen sensors relay information to the Powertrain Control Module (computer), informing it of the oxygen content in the exhaust. This information is translated by the computer, and used to determine if more or less fuel is needed. The computer will then adjust fuel flow (and possibly other related engine operating characteristics), to keep the correct air fuel mixture. This loop continues as long as the engine is running. A P0171 check engine light code is set when the computer has reached a rich calibration limit and can not add enough fuel to maintain the correct mixture.

Update on PO 171

Hey just checking to see if this issue was resolved and what the correction was if so.......

I just purchased and installed a SURE Short Ram Intake, SURE Sidewinder Turbo Inlet Pipe, & Street Unit Turbosmart Blow Off Valve (with recirculation tube & vacuum tube). Everything seems fine turbo spools, car holds boost, intake sounds GREAT, Blow Off sounds even better......and then 'CEL' pop......this happens every 2 days or so sometimes quicker. The perfect storm is high RPM & full boost to coast. I've pulled everything off & re installed everything.....2 days pass & back again. I replaced the aftermarket vacuum hose with the factory tube and still threw a 'CEL'.

Sounds like the same type of issue you were having.....just hit me up if you could.
Thanks.

GEO,

By any chance have you changed you plugs? Does your intake have some type of straightening vanes prior to the MAF? Can you adjust your BPV based on pressure? Have you modified you fuel pump internals? Also, agree with speedy comments concerning a proper MAF housing as well as checking for leaks (take it apart put it back together).

Last edited:
definitly sounds like a leak. Had the same code and found out the F-N dealer didn't tighten the TIH to the CAI properly. Turns out I had to replace it with the SRI as the two wouldn't marry up perfect anyway.

NEW info on SURE SRI

Hey Fellas...been kinda busy so I haven't visited this forum in a minute.....anyway. Here's what I got, the SURE Short Ram Intake has some possible issues with the MAF Housing. The issue with mine specifically is being handled directly by Mark/ Street Unit/ SURE in regards to the origin of possible vacuum leak. They currently have my intake as well as some other recent purchasers of said intake. Keep everyone posted on that.....and video is available on a different forum sponsored by Street Unit (don't recall forum policy on mentioning a different forum)....TO LAZY TO CHECK (stoned)

Now as far as 'CEL' CODE PO171: System to Lean there are a few possibles and then its just an intake issue...if you are 100% CONFIDENT in the way you DIY then it's NOT gonna be your connections!
Possibles would be Oiled filter contaminates the MAF housing, Seal for MAF Sensor is incorrect, or Air straightener is not seated correctly.
Long Shot bad O2 sensor.....

The real question is TRIM LEVELS....do you know your LTFT & STFT base lines with no Mods and have you been checking them with add ons??? When you get said code it is because of the AIR to FUEL ratios being incorrect to the point where the ECU can not adjust itself to accommodate the incoming air.....hope this helps.

Back