Cheap engine upgrades

mitaccio

My wife and I loved the Protege5 so much, we drove over 250 miles one way just to buy one. If that wasn't shocking enough to me, she said she wanted me to do some mods to get more power out of it. I know a turbo, supercharger, or cat back is the best, but that is too much. I wanted to know what people have done for under $100 to get more power. What is the best low price performance item? Are there any ideas that can get me better economy(or not drop any) and get me better HP?

you can swap out your stock air filter for a higher flowing one. That is like $40 or less. Plug wires are like $50-$75, dont think it will give you horsepower but should help on throttle response. You could probably get away wwith 1-2 stages hotter spark plugs since your not boosted, those are like $10-$20. Thats all I can think of for under a hundred bucks

Ebay CAI

$45 for an ebay CAI~~ I feel it gains a little bit power, and the car runs smoother, and it sounds really nice to me also~~ Go for it. They have the color in red right now.

slkt

there isnt much for under $100. besides the ebay intake, im drawing a blank

I just ordered a Ractive SRI from KYMP5 online store $55 shipped to NY
SF1011_sm.jpg

mazda.gif

99-02 Mazda Protege

SuperFlow Air Intake (chrome finish)
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The SuperFlow Air Intake System comes complete with quality aluminum pipe, filter, hoses, stainless steel clamps and bracket.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Check them out here . . . http://www.carxpressions.com/

[/font]

Ebay intake will be $100 or less. Another option is a ground wire kit. They are now selling those on ebay as well for under $100.

I got some extra horses by swaping out my ECU with one from a MP3 that went turbo. That was a freebee. Find somebody that has a MP3 that wants to go turbo and then swap ECU's The MP3 is rated at 140 HP and the Protege5 is rated at 130 HP. There are other factors involved to make that 10 HP difference but you can feel the difference. And for me it was FREE.

Engine%20C.jpg

Engine%20B.jpg

engine%20A.jpg

usually u just trade your ecu for the mp3 ecu. Especially if they want to be boosted since retarded timing on the p5 ecu is better with a turbo. Another option would be to have a catback made but keep the stock muffler. That and an SRI or drop in could net u some more power and definately more throttle response, total it would be in the $100-$150 range.

ground wire kit, go to local hard wear store and buy heavy gauge wire and some good connectors, i did it for under $20 and i still have alot left..k&n filter, plugs.. all syn oil on the car- mobil 1 5w-30, works great.. redline mt-90 for the tranny..mabey find a used axle back MSP muffler, low nosie and more hp...heat wrap headers, stock or not!!! makes a big differance in the temp under the hood, the car will see cooler intake temps and it wont retard the time as much because its not as hot ,more power is the idea, it seemed to help on my car, runs more like it dos when its cool, snappy

Uh..if you really want peformance..Get a SRI/CAI they should give you some throttle response. $100 don't really get much power. But if you invest into Intake/Exhuast/header there is defintely some gains to be had.

Don't bother with spark plug wires..they do not enhance performance at all! But do invest into some Bosch Plat 4 plugs. When i was n/a they gave some very noticeable throttle response!

Chas

$45 for an ebay CAI~~ I feel it gains a little bit power, and the car runs smoother, and it sounds really nice to me also~~ Go for it. They have the color in red right now.

slkt

I installed a CAI and I have noticed significantly more power. Exhaust is next...

My 3 best upgrades to my 2001 protege as well as my sister's P5 were ZMax additive k&n air fillter and the tornado.
dda51ec9a5bba72892c0a7ea9b80e6aa.jpg

I documented fuel savings and hp with each upgrade.

I can't tell if half of these comments are trolling...

In any case, I will be serious.

I got a CAI for free, so no bias of spending money there.

Noticeable benefits: nice growl during acceleration. Anything else is just a placebo, or some minute that you cannot feel it.

Back