Cheap Echomaster backup sensors on sale on Ebay

bolido

I just got my CX-9 and I've doing a lot of research about backup sensors in the past couple of days. I know cheap no-name chinese backup sensors are plentiful on Ebay and many people have reported that they work ok. However, it seems Echomaster is the most reputable backup sensor manufacturer out there. They are US based and even Ford selected them as an OEM partner for their sensors. Their kits go for about $250 compared to the $30ish of the no name Ebay sensors.

Honda of Gardena is currently selling this Echomaster kit for only $100!
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I called them yesterday and they are painted black. Checking the OZ CX-9 it looks like the factory sensors are installed in the black plastic bumper part, so I'll probably just spray paint them flat black. I am in no way associated with Echomaster or DCH Honda. Just passing a good deal I've found in case you are looking for back up sensors :)

A word of caution.
Painting over ultrasound sensor is not a great idea.
Air bubble develops beneath the paint, causing false alarm.
Besides, they are useless within 1 ft or beyond 6 ft. Usable range is very limited.

Yes, they are almost all made in China. However, there are good ones and bad ones.
I got a set for my Odyssey long ago. False alarms all the times in winter (no ice on it).
The second set I got (diff vendor) for my wife's Prius has been very good. Both were made in
China sold by eBayers in Hong Kong.

On CX9, I have the backup camera. Therefore, no ultrasound sensors needed.

Side note.....I really wish the Camera had an alert when getting close to something. The Camera is nice, but a tone would be nice too.

A word of caution.
Air bubble develops beneath the paint, causing false alarm.
Besides, they are useless within 1 ft or beyond 6 ft. Usable range is very limited.

Yes, they are almost all made in China. However, there are good ones and bad ones.
I got a set for my Odyssey long ago. False alarms all the times in winter (no ice on it).
The second set I got (diff vendor) for my wife's Prius has been very good. Both were made in
China sold by eBayers in Hong Kong.

On CX9, I have the backup camera. Therefore, no ultrasound sensors needed.

Yeah I'll spray a thin layer of matte paint so it looks better with my bumper. I've read about the issues with painted sensors, but I'm hoping Echomaster quality is better. The quality of a product is not determine by the country of origin, but by the QC procedures implemented by the factory. I'm in the electronics manufacturing business and I can tell you that the same factory in China can make a world class product as well as crappy one. In general, US/EU companies QC procedures and standards are leap and bounds better than what no name Chinese companies set for themselves. Sometimes its not so much the quality of the product itself, but the quality consistency across the productions lots. Reading forums I know many people seem to be happy with the $20 sensors on Ebay though.

Anyways, I bought the kit already and will post pics when I have them installed :)

Side note.....I really wish the Camera had an alert when getting close to something. The Camera is nice, but a tone would be nice too.

If that is what you want, you can install the ultrasound sensors to act as alarm.
However, within 1ft, it gives a constant beep tone.

A word of caution.

I have heard you can paint them up to 6 mils thick, using a non-ferrous non-metal paint guage. I'm just not sure exactly what paint qualifies for that thickness, might need specialized paint.

As far a spraypaint, I agree that would likely not be a good idea.

Back