Changing the alternator

_Sloteg_

Proteg Type Arrr
Contributor
:
Mazdaspeed Sloteg & 2008 CX-7 Touring!<--Wifes
So...I have change out my alternator it s*** the bed today.

My question for anyone that has done this, is how the hell do you get the thing out from behind the engine?

I tried taking it out from the bottom and from the top with no luck. So,if you have a PDF file of a repair manual it would be a great help to me.

Thanks
David.

Yeah, What ever I can get from Napa/pep-boys, I'm just trying to get the car back on the road.

Last edited:
terbow said:

terbow & SIBalla23: Thank you very much but,that still didn't give me any idea on how to get the alternator out from behind the engine.My problem is that there is no space to remove the alternator from the engine at all.when i try to take it out from the bottom of the car the passenger side axle is in the way and, when I try it from the top the A/C lines are in the way.

Last edited:
Damn it terbow, you beat me to it. If only I hadnt gotten up to get food I would have posted it before you.

mspeed#267 said:
terbow: Thank you very much but,that still didn't give me any idea on how to get the alternator out from behind the engine.My problem is that there is no space to remove the alternator from the engine at all.when i try to take it out from the bottom of the car the passenger side axle is in the way and, when I try it from the top the A/C lines are in the way.

Oh i get it. yea no manual is really gonna tell u that. maybe wiggle it around? i havent seen one personally. i guess u could remove the front engine mount any maybe tip the engine in your favor? i dont know if thats a good idea or not but i had to do that on an older car.

terbow said:
Oh i get it. yea no manual is really gonna tell u that. maybe wiggle it around? i havent seen one personally. i guess u could remove the front engine mount any maybe tip the engine in your favor? i dont know if thats a good idea or not but i had to do that on an older car.
Thanks I have a friend of mine coming by later so we'll get it out one way or the other.....(boom07)

Yank the axle out. I've tried jacking the engine. Took less time to just pull the axle out. May have to unbolt the jackshaft too, but none of that is a big deal. Goodluck

Fudgie said:
Yank the axle out. I've tried jacking the engine. Took less time to just pull the axle out. May have to unbolt the jackshaft too, but none of that is a big deal. Goodluck
That was somthing I was thinking of doing......But,I took off some bracket's (A/C & Charcoal Canister) and with some luck I pulled it out from behind the strut bar.

I took the alternator down to auto-zone and they tested the alternator three time's and it was good so, I'll have to sort the problem out tomorrow....

Thanks for the help everyone!

Well,I found the problem it seem's that the new battery that I bought 4 month's ago had a dead cell....

First time my car has been on jackstands for a battery!(lol)

At least now I know how to get the alternator out of the car now.

Thanks again!

yea i had the same problem....i was in a drive through at backyard burger and the ebrake light, cel, and some other crap came on....my amp even died along with the a/c. I really thought it was the altenator because the interior speakers were still pushing....but it was just the battery...once the volts drop past a certain point the car just dies.....

damnit david i meant to call you back the other day...im assuming you needed a hand with the alt...sorry man...let me know if you still need help or the hookup on a new battery or alternator...

HELP! :O

Sorry for shouting, but I am trying to remove my alternator from my Protege5. I have everything unbolted, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to remove it. Does it come out from the Top or Bottom of the engine? What extra things did you have to remove? I remove my sway bar, a gray round thing, and black round thing that was bolted to the body near the sway bar. This helped me gain access to the alternator, but I still cant remove it from the Top. The hoses (I think its for the A/C) are getting in the way. I tried removing it from the Bottom, but the axle gets in the way.

Please help :(

Here are some pics

Protege5_Alternator_20080227_0770.jpg

Protege5_Alternator_20080227_0771.jpg

Last edited:
*edit*From The first page: I took off some bracket's (A/C & Charcoal Canister) and with some luck I pulled it out from behind the strut bar.

I know I,removed it from the top but,how I pulled that off I have no idea ATM....sorry

Last edited:
Back