Changing ownership of Nav card after purchasing used 2015 CX-5

Rarebit

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 2015 GT AWD
I bought a 2015 CX-5 from a Mazda dealer in April 2015. It was the service manager's personal vehicle for a year.

Recently the Nav unit prompted me to download free upgrades.

I installed TomTom home on my computer, removed the card from my Mazda, and inserted it in my computer.

It started TomTom home, but immediately returned an error message:

"You need to initialize your memory card before you can use it. To do this insert it into your navigation device and switch your device on. Wait for your device to start up and then turn it off again. Your memory card is now ready to use."

I did this, and when I turned on the Nav unit in my vehicle, it seemed to function normally.

I turned it off, powered the vehicle off, and returned the SD card to my computer.

However, I got the same error message again.

I created an account on TomTom Home, and tried to link it to my SD card, but it returned a message that this card may be linked to another account. (Perhaps the account of the previous owner of the vehicle?)

I got the same error message, so I took the card back to the vehicle again to re-initialize it. This time, the vehicle did not recognize the card, and a message came up on the screen saying that there is no card in the GPS.

I took it back to the computer, and I can see all the files on the SD card. But it isn't initialized according to TomTom Home, and now it doesn't register on the in-vehicle GPS.

Has anyone solved a similar problem? If so, what did you do? Note: I have forwarded this question to TomTom customer support but no response yet beyond an acknowledgement and a case number.

Good news - TomTom replied with clear instructions on how to recover the SD card and change the ownership. It also updated the maps.

Anyone having a similar problem should first try the customer support section of TomTom's website. I received a knowledgeable and precisely worded instruction within 24 hours.

Back