2023 CX-5 Can't update maps

Well, there was the one...

Anyway, My CX came with the nav card, but my MX did not.

I purchased a card from Amazon for my MX, the first card shipped did NOTHING. The car didn't even recognize that a card was inserted. I contacted the seller, and he shipped out a new card. This one worked perfectly, and I was able to update it over the three-year period just fine.
how long ago? it has been fairly recent ie the last year, that Mazda stopped allowing 3rd party cards to be updated.

Interesting. I popped one of those Ebay cards into my 2024 cx5 and although the streets are not 100% UpToDate, having the SD card in now allows our CX5 to read and display the actual stop and speed limit signs as I drive along.

I was hoping that the new site to update Mazda SD cards would work with those from ebay/amazon but I guess not.
try and update it and see what happens.

how long ago? it has been fairly recent ie the last year, that Mazda stopped allowing 3rd party cards to be updated.

Let's see if I can remember. I bought the MX used in 2019, it was three years old, and I purchased the Amazon card the same year, 9/2019 (had to check my Amazon account). So, I guess the last, and final, of the three updates was done in 9/2022.

Let's see if I can remember. I bought the MX used in 2019, it was three years old, and I purchased the Amazon card the same year, 9/2019 (had to check my Amazon account). So, I guess the last, and final, of the three updates was done in 9/2022.
unfortunately Mazda must have caught on because by February of 2023 you could no longer update thru their app with non oem sd cards, Buy another on amazon and try and update and see what happens. One thing I have read repeatedly is people say they can't update now and people say funny I updated mine but those were all done prior to Mazda putting the kabosh on it.
even maznav states it as does most amazon or ebay sellers. maznav started divulging that info after I complained to them that they were being misleading by not letting people know.

cloned nav cards cant be updated or the very first user of the new clone could and then any others cant. Thats what we figured. And yes in the past there were not so popular so the Nav vendor didnt care much but that changed now.

oem ones can. Sometimes you can find a real oem one - old stock for 100-150$.
but it is not from those "nav store" websites or Amazon which all sell "pirated" clones.

Be thankful that the card at least works because all other brands are now moving to subscription based navigation and there isnt even a card anymore with embedded connected services in every new car. That is the future even for Mazda in few years.

Last edited:
unfortunately Mazda must have caught on because by February of 2023 you could no longer update thru their app with non oem sd cards, Buy another on amazon and try and update and see what happens. One thing I have read repeatedly is people say they can't update now and people say funny I updated mine but those were all done prior to Mazda putting the kabosh on it.
even maznav states it as does most amazon or ebay sellers. maznav started divulging that info after I complained to them that they were being misleading by not letting people know.
I bought an Amazon SD card for my 2023 CX-5 in the fall of 2022. I've been able to update it a couple times and last updated it Dec 2023 for the Sept update. I doubt I was the first one to update that cloned card.

heck I was going to try to update my sd card but apparently I am not even smart enough to figure out how to down load the mazda tool box on my mac.

It won't do anything to harm the card, just won't update.
Ok, so tried to update my ebay SD card using the link above. Program would not recognize the card. So put it back into our CX5, and at first the car would not recognize the card! I was like crap!

Then I popped the card partially out and in with the accessory switch on and info screen said "there is an error and need to restart". Turned Accessory off and then on, and navigation came back as it should.

So if you have an Ebay or Amazon card, it will not update. Would not even try!

In my case in order to update I have to flip the "lock" switch on the side of the card. Then it has be locked again to get it to work in the car.

yoy mean unlocked in the car?
the card should not be in locked. Thats the default state everywhere - in car or in the update tool.

yoy mean unlocked in the car?
the card should not be in locked. Thats the default state everywhere - in car or in the update tool.
I believe it's locked when in use. Unlocked to update. I know I have to slide the switch to get it to update.

I believe it's locked when in use. Unlocked to update. I know I have to slide the switch to get it to update.
The cards in both of my Mazdas work fine and both are unlocked while in use and while updating.

According to the user manual the navigation SD-card should be unlocked while used in the car.
It should also be unlocked while updating, else the computer can not change or write anything on the SD-card.

Last edited:
It should always be unlocked, otherwise you wouldn't be able to save destination favorites etc when using the Nav system.

It should always be unlocked, otherwise you wouldn't be able to save destination favorites etc when using the Nav system.
All favorites, including the navigation favorites, are not stored on the SD-card, but in the infotainment system memory.

You guys had me second guessing myself. I took it out of the car and the switch is set to LOCK while in the car and works perfectly. In order to update, I slide the switch the other way (unlocked).

Also- the Mazda Toolbox program itself had an update when I opened it today. I went ahead and tried to update my nav card, and it did so as it has the whole time. Interestingly, it said the map update was from 5/23. I am sure I did this update before, so not sure why it is saying I need an update again. I wonder if there will be another map update before my 3 yrs runs out in 5/24.

Last edited:
Back