Changing Oil Filter

Rotus8 said:
Hey, your write-up makes mine look like an amateur. Great job. I wrote mine after spilling oil all over - I wish I had read yours first. BTW, my car is a speed and matches your write-up just fine. Thanks!

My Speed3 only has 1100 miles so far, so I didn't have a chance to compare the two, so thanks for verifying it. I'll copy/paste that to a new thread over here.

clos561 said:
how much do you guys spend on supplies to do your own oil change?

This is what you need. Depeding on what tools you already own, there is really not much you have to buy. Maybe just the Oil filter wrench ($4 or so).
Jack or ramps is probably the most costly equipment. But they will last you a lifetime, and come in handy for many things.

17mm socket
10mm socket or nut driver
Small flathead screwdriver or panel clip puller
6mm Allen wrench
Oil filter wrench, rubber strap wrench
Jack and stands, or ramps
Oil filter kit (Mazda part# L321 14 302 9U)
5 quarts of your favorite 5w20
Paper shop towels
Rubber gloves to make clean up easier

Spin-on filter conversion kit

[/B]
goldwing2000 said:
There ya go.

When I did mine, they didn't have a "kit". I just had to buy the parts separately. Same stuff, though. Good price, too!

I got my conversion kit and am about to do my next oil change and swap out the filters in the process. The kit comes with a OEM oil filter, the filter "body", and a gasket to go in between the filter "body" and the engine.
It did not come with any instructions.

My question is....Should I use any type of gasket sealer on the gasket or will a simple tightening of the bolts w/o gasket sealer do the trick?

First post. Thanks for the informative how-to on an oil change. I ended up getting it changed by the dealer because they said they would do my first oil change for free, but I picked up some crush washers while I was down there.

The dealership charges $30.00 bucks to do the change, and its almost worth it where I live. I found the filter for $10.00 and the oil for 6 quarts was about $17.00, not including having to deal with recycling the oil.

Just my .02 cents !

Well the good thing about changing your own oil is you can choose whatever brand oil you trust. And make sure you put in the exact correct amount. Which for some cars is a fraction of a quart (other places just tend to round to the nearest quart). And if you use synthetic oil you save MORE. Not to mention, it's nice to spend a little quality time with your car. Get to know her. "If you love her, lube her."

Back