Changed brakepads, now no e-brake???

Finaldo

My dad and I just got finished changing the brakepads all around, and now the e-brake doesn't work. Anyone have any idea why?

A little background on the job, the driver-side rear caliper's bracket that holds the brakepads was seized up, so we had to pull the bracket out of the caliper, clean it up, and relube it, and put new boots on caliper so that it wouldn't seize up again. The factory boots had holes in them somehow!

Anyways, before putting the new pads on, my dad retracted the pistons on all the calipers. The brakes seem normal to me, the pressure seems fine, but the e-brake pretty much has no resistance and doesn't engage the brakes when I pull up on it.

Anyone else have this issue before?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

There is a allen head screw on the backside of the rear calipers by screwing this in you can adjust your e-brake. There is a how to on here someplace.

Keep pulling up on the e-brake and release it... do it a bunch of times. You should get the e-brake back.
I experienced the same thing when I had my rears done at a shop I trust. went back the next day 'cause hardly any e-brake. he explained, pulled and release a bunch of times, and... presto! Like new. Try that before getting to worried or doing too many other labor-intensive things.

If they are backed out all the way, this could take a really long time. I just set my ebrake on the 2nd notch, then tightened the allen just to the point of the wheel locking up.

it will take awhile.. these brakes on the p5's hafta be backset quite a bit to fit the new shoes in there .. it took about 20 minutes wiht the ebrake half way up while driving around after i felt the ass end starting to get lower i let off and stoped.. and pulled the ebrake again and worked like new

Problem solved. We ended up readusting the brakes with the hex-key until they were just off the rotors. We just sped up the adjustment of the brakes. It's all good now! Thanks for all the replies!

Back