Change your cabin air filter

veedub6

:
Mazda CX-5
Just changed the cabin air filter due to musty smell. Difference between old and new filter.

CabinFilter.JPG

just starting to notice a weird smell as well, most recent service noted for me to change it out. since i'm too lazy to whip out my service manual where is the filter located and how hard was it to swap out. im at 50k miles

I just changed mine as well because it was smelling musty. Car has 13K miles on it. The cabin air filter is pretty small on the CX-5.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Changed one in wife's CX-5 @ 20K. It was very, very dirty.

I'll do it every year now. For $15 is no brainer.

I'm at 17k miles. I would have ordered through MedCenter but shipping for just the filter was too much. Amazon had it for $23. If you are fine with the generic brand, TYC makes it. Saw it on RockAuto for ~$14
From the maintenance schedule, you replace the cabin filter every 2 year or 30k miles. Easiest cabin air filter replacement I've done.

No kidding on ease of changing. No screws to even take out on this one. I popped out glove box to take a picture of replaced BT unit and pulled out my filter just to check it. It does have some dirt... I will probably change it in a month or so.

Anyone know if the Fram 'Fresh Breeze' filters are available yet for the CX-5? I see on their website they only have the CX-9 and the 6 listed... looks to be close to the one that goes in the 6, wondering if anyone has tried it?

I just threw mine in the wash after rinsing it off lol. Not worth the trip to the dealer/money to get another one as I usually have my window down.

Got a Hastings intake air filter and cabin air filter from Rock Auto - good quality. Cabin filter was $13. Bought some other stuff for the lawn mower and kid's cars to amortize the shipping (and the shipping was less that the tax would've been, anyway :) )

My local dealer has an Ebay store online however I've purchased cabin filters via Amazon I believe. Anyways kudos for Mazda in making it an easy DIY project.

I just replaced the one in my wife's CX-5 finally. Right before year number 3 of ownership, perhaps in January or so. Wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, especially seeing as it had over 40K miles on it at the time...

I won't wait as long next time. XD

Weird smells usually point to mold or mildew, which can happen even with a fresh filter. Run the a/c about once a month to dehumidify the air vents plus it lubricates and conditions the system. And try to keep air circulating through the ducts at all times. I always run my fan at the lowest setting with a/c off.

Weird smells usually point to mold or mildew, which can happen even with a fresh filter. Run the a/c about once a month to dehumidify the air vents plus it lubricates and conditions the system. And try to keep air circulating through the ducts at all times. I always run my fan at the lowest setting with a/c off.

It also helps to clear the cowl? area between the windshield and engine bay. There could be leaves, dander, twigs, dead bugs, ect there. A good wash afterwards helps too.

Back