Change oil filter with full crankcase?

brickisred

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Has anyone swapped out their oil filter without doing an oil change? I'm getting some rough sounding cold-starts and suspect my oil filter is draining down after sitting a while.

I want to swap it out for a Mobil filter but I only have 1200 miles on the oil. I'm thinking it won't be a problem (oil spillage, etc) but wondered if anyone has done it or has any tips...

This is a common practice. I'm not sure how much spillage you can expect, but people do this quite often. Especially when running synthetic.

Really...I have never heard of this. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime. How many miles since your last filter change? What kind of filter are you using?

Yes you can do it. If you change your filter right after you have driven then you might loose some oil, maybe half a cup worth. If you let the engine sit for a few hours (even better over night) then you will probably loose no oil at all, other then the amount that is trapped in the oil filter itself. I have done it about 3 or 4 times when I needed to work on my oil filter adapter plate. Just remember to check the oil afterward and add any oil you might loose.

Thanks guys...
Cold engine is a good idea. Think I might try it this weekend.

Really...I have never heard of this. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime. How many miles since your last filter change? What kind of filter are you using?

I changed the filter with the oil, 1200 miles ago. Mobil 1 5w30, Mazda filter. Cold starts (after sitting overnight) were fine for a while but are getting louder now, kind of alarming. Oil level is fine. After warm up, it starts fine.
But I just read on miata.net that Mazda "branded" filters can be from a few different manufacturers and vary in quality. (uhm)

Last edited:
But I just read on miata.net that Mazda "branded" filters can be from a few different manufacturers and vary in quality. (uhm)

I don't know about that...I use Purolator PureOne filters. They're some of the cheapest micronic filters you can get, and they rate high compared to other, more expensive micronics. I've never used a Mazda filter.

Ive never heard of it either. but hey if its a problem its a problem. do what you can

Im a Fram man and ive never had a problem.

There quality seems to be consistant

Ive never heard of it either. but hey if its a problem its a problem. do what you can

Im a Fram man and ive never had a problem.

There quality seems to be consistant

Check around a bit...there are some good links to some pages about filters and how they stack up. I don't mean to burst your bubble but Fram is one of the worst. The "tough guard" or whatever they call it is a little better, but no Fram filters nearly as well as the micronics like Mobil1, WIX or Purolator PureOne. They have more than twice the surface area of filter media than a Fram. You may not be seeing a problem now, but if you're building up engine sludge, you will.

I was told the "Mazda" filters wont drain when the motor is turned off like most you find at the store do. Thats what they said tho, I use the PureOne or whatever.

^ it is called 'anti-drain back'.

If you pull the filter and it is full of oil (it should be - just by virtue of the fact that it sits pointing up! It can't drain like a filter mounted to the side of the engine).

I suspect you have another problem - dirty fuel injector, weak battery, bad plug/wire/coil.

I suspect you have another problem - dirty fuel injector, weak battery, bad plug/wire/coil.

Maybe, but it can't hurt to try a different filter. I just changed the plugs. After warm-up it starts totally fine. After I first changed the oil, it started okay, maybe a little loud but not like now. One thing that is odd to me is, when I crank it cold, it will rev past 2k rpms which seems abnormal. When warm, it cranks up around 1-1.5k.

Mine rev's above 2 grand when I crank her up in the winter. Which is normal considering the temperature. What oil are you running? Other than the noise is it doing anything weird, loss of power, stalling, misfiring? I'm with p-funk I think your problem may be something else.

Maybe, but it can't hurt to try a different filter. I just changed the plugs. After warm-up it starts totally fine. After I first changed the oil, it started okay, maybe a little loud but not like now. One thing that is odd to me is, when I crank it cold, it will rev past 2k rpms which seems abnormal. When warm, it cranks up around 1-1.5k.

Yeah the high idle on cold start is normal and just part of the car's normal warm-up cycle.

Latest posts

Back