CG-Lock - Anyone used it?

:
11 MS3 Sport
**EDIT for GB pricing**

CG-Lock $36.99
http://www.sojdm.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=24&idproduct=22

Enter GB Code: "mazdas247" to receive $4.99 discount for free shipping! Coupon Code will be available till June 15th 2009.

Our stock seats are nice, but as always, it could always use a little better bolstering in certain areas. And when driving hard, the biggest gripe I have is having to plant on my left foot onto the dead pedal to keep myself from shifting too much in my seat, to the point where i'm in an uncomfortable position for shifting in an aggressive driving manuever.

I had heard of the CG-Lock before, and it's really quite simple. It helps lock up the lap portion of the seatbelt on any car, to help keep your ass in place.

http://www.sojdm.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=24&idproduct=22

Anyone tried this before? You can kinda get an idea of how this would feel, just by sitting in your car now and pulling up on the chest belt so that your lap belt tightens. That's the same thing, only it holds it better.

Last edited:
Let me give you a quick alternative that will save you a lot of money and let you see if you like the idea before you buy the CG Lock.

This thing is used for child safety seats to do exactly what the CG-lock does: keep the lower belt tight. They come with baby seats but can also be picked up in the safety seat section of any baby store or toys R us for less than $10. Don't fixate on the brand name of the one I linked to, I was just trying to get you a picture.

I've used them for autocross ever since we had our son and realized that these were the same as a CG-Lock, but slightly less convenient.

Keep in mind that these are not made for adults, and even the CG-Lock isn't meant for street use, so I have no idea (and take no responsibility for) what might happen to you in a crash with one of these on.

From what I read, the CG-Lock does not interfere with any safety regulations and is perfectly legal on a track. I've only read one review where one guy hated daily driving with it and didn't need it anyhow so got rid of it.

Thanks for the info though!

I have one.

It's way better than NOT using one, but it's still not a substitute for a nice racing harness...

I only put mine on the buckle for events. Otherwise I completely remove it...it's simply too heavy and bulky to be on the belt all the time, and it can scratch up the B-pillar pretty easily if you let it flop around when taking it on and off. I also think it would wear the edge of the belt funny if you left the clamp-on part on the buckle all of the time.

That said, I love mine, and until I get comfortable with the idea of putting a proper harness bar in my DD, it'll have to do. ;)

Last edited:
Hm...so it's too big to use daily? Otherwise, i'm glad to hear someone has it. I think i'd be selective of when i'd install and use it.

I have it for my miata. You can take off the locking portion for daily use and then clip it on when your at the AutoX/track or whenever its desired.

I second Nliiitend1's thoughts on the GC - I used it exclusively on a track-prepped MX-5 and it does a GREAT job of keeping your rear firmly planted - the one drawback is that you will still use your upper body to brace in high-g cornering - something you won't do in a 5 point.

Overall though, for the money, it's a great way to attach yourself to the car. It is very easy to remove and I would often loan it to guys at the track to "test out". They were all happy with the support it gave.

Is it a replacement for a properly mounted/fitting harness? No. Is it a great temporary solution? You betcha.

Well I figured, it's going to be a helluva lot cheap than replacing the seat entirely, when I don't autox or race my car at all. Just want more support when I do drive hard.

Someone told me you can get any stock seats re-upholstered or reinforced? Like more heavily bolstered?

get a bigger ass!:D Mine keeps me nice and snug in the seat.
That piece does look pretty neat though.

Hmm, I like the idea of the CG, I may have to try it out. Interesting though - the thing has more legal disclaimers than any automotive accessory I have ever seen.

I think it's just because of the simple fact someone will want to know if it intereferes with the imporant functions of the seatbelt.

And ultimately, they want to calm anyone's fears that this won't snap your hip out of place if you get into an accident because it's got your legs slammed down while the rest of your body isn't lol.

"Your lap times will decrease and your driving performance will improve!"

Hahahaha!! This will be the next biggest ricer accessory!

It's been out forever..it's nothing new.

But if it keeps your ass in place, I can see how it would help decrease lap times and help you concentrate more on driving and less on keeping yourself adjusted.

"Your lap times will decrease and your driving performance will improve!"

Hahahaha!! This will be the next biggest ricer accessory!

Are you really that short-sighted??

Anyone who's ever driven on an autocross or open-track course can easily understand why those two claims above are actually true...

Have it.
Love it.

Used it daily before I replaced my dampers, it kept me in the seat over some of the larger bumps.

With the new dampers, I have taken it off but will use it for track days.

I can't believe that I haven't known about this. As good as I think the stock MS3 seats are, I still find myself moving around a bit too much in my seat when I am on the track. This would be a much cheaper and comfortable alternative to new seats I think

I'm surprised at all the positive responses! I was thinking people were going to knock it big time.

I think i'm just going to order it. They have it on sojdm.com for $36.99 + shipping.

Also, CG Lock's website apparently says that if it doesn't fit on your car, they will refund you 100%.

Originally posted on CGLock.com
Guarantee

You may return a CG-Lock to Mather Automotive Innovations, Inc. for a full refund of your purchase price or a replacement if you follow the RETURN POLICY requirements described below.

For all returns, the Return Form in the yellow brochure that accompanied your CG-Lock MUST be completely filled out and typed or printed legibly.

If the CG-Lock fails within one (1) year for any reason other than those specifically described in this policy, you will be sent a replacement CG-Lock at no cost. Unacceptable reasons for return include damage caused by improper use (such as closing a car door on the CG-Lock or stripping the screws) and improper installation. Quality of workmanship and parts failure is covered for replacement only.

If the CG-Lock was in use at the time of an accident, return it and you will receive a replacement at no cost. Do not use the CG-Lock after the accident. Examine the seat belt for damage (seat belts should be replaced after an accident, too).

If the CG-Lock does not attach properly to your seat belt, return it within 30 days of purchase and you will receive a refund of your purchase price and the base shipping (postage) and handling fee if your receipt shows you paid one.
All other reasons for a return, and determinations of return or replacement, are at the discretion of Mather Automotive Innovations, Inc. whose decisions are final.

I just need to contact them and ask if that applies if it's purchased on their company website or if the return policy applies to outside sellers too? I don't want to have this "so jdm" website screw me if it doesn't fit, or force me to buy something off of their website..

Last edited:
A vendor on nasioc sells this. He'a a great/reputable seller (JnJ Associates - I have used him numerous times). Just throwing that out there if you feel nervous about using the place you found. His price was $42.95 shipped last time I checked.

Hm...so it's too big to use daily? Otherwise, i'm glad to hear someone has it. I think i'd be selective of when i'd install and use it.

This is the doodad my auto X coach suggested

For daily driving ( unless you autoX to work)
an old style wooden clothes pin might do the trick put it right down by your right hip and squeeze the two belts together that will lock the lap and leave the shoulder free

Back