CEL on code PO171

erzipper

Like the title says, my computer is throwing the PO171 code. AutoZone's diagnostic says the probably causes could be something with the MAF, defective oxygen sensor, ignition misfire repair, or fuel injection problem. How do I know which one? Btw, I only got about 27 mpg this tank. The CEL came on today and I just had the spark plugs and drive belts replaced yesterday but this shouldn't have anything to do with it....Any help?

+1 on coils and wires. Check/clean your MAF and primary O2 sensor and look around for any vacuum leaks after the MAF or exhaust leaks before the primary O2 sensor. This CEL is widely considered the most annoying with these cars because there is a nearly limitless list of possible causes.

Today I noticed a kind off rough idle. At one point the RPMs dropped very low and I thought the engine was going to cut out. Is this a symptom of the coil packs going bad? I know this is a dumb question but where are the coil packs and are they easy enough to replace that I can do it myself? If so, is there a writeup? Thanks, I am very frustrated with this CEL...

I'm tempted to say it's your fuel pump, clogged fuel injectors and possibly a clogged filter given the bad gas mileage.

^^^ Probably not, sorry. It's rarely ever the fuel pumps in these cars. I've thrown this code more times than I can count and while the fuel pump is listed as one of the causes I have never seen that. What I've seen most are something like bad sparkplugs, coilspacks, sparkplug wires, primary O2 sensor, MAF and finally a simple vacuum leak. Inspect all thje above parts and clean the MAF and primary O2 sensor. If the plugs are bad, replace them and finally check for any loose vacuum lines or hose fittings after the MAF. If the odle is still bad then you can start replacing things.

So now the idle is very rough and I think it is only when the A/C is on and not when it is in Park (it is an automatic). Could this be because of the coil packs or could it be something to do with the EGR valve like I have read.

So now the idle is very rough and I think it is only when the A/C is on and not when it is in Park (it is an automatic). Could this be because of the coil packs or could it be something to do with the EGR valve like I have read.

How many miles you got? This sounds similar to a problem I had at about 60k. Just after my warrenty had expired, of course. Had the diagnostic done at a Mazda dealership. Ended up being the EGR valve. I read up on it and found this is a popular problem with this car. Part was about $200. Fixed it myself though in about an hour. Haven't had any problems since. Good luck.

The one I removed looked pretty shot. I mean, you could look into that possibility. Keep looking around, you might have some success on that working with someone else. I believe the info I researched referred to it failing, not so much getting clogged or dirty. I currently have 145k and no problems to speak of with it.

yes, if you do a search you'll find the step by step instructions for cleaning it

Thanks, I saw that. These boards are helping me out a lot. I just bought the car like a week ago and I am frustrated with all these problems I am having. I wonder if the CEL and bad idling have nothing to do with each other...

Back