CEL issue

drewski1990

:
mazdaspeed protege 2003.5
CODE: P0171 - Bank 1 Lean

There has been a number of threads about this CEL already, but I haven't found one that discussed the possibility of the air filter. I have already changed both 02 sensors, but the light remains on. I was wondering if the air filter has anything to do with it because of more air flowing through the less restricted filter. I suspect the filter because the light turned off when I was at Napa CA, where weather is hot (less air). It turned back on the next day when I came back to San Francisco, weather is much cooler (more air).

Something contradictory about this issue is that when I first installed this filter (2 years ago with no CEL problem), the light came on and went away after half a day. So one of two problems, filter or MAF?

Is there a way to check whether the MAF needs replacement? I dont have an AF gauge to monitor the ratios. Would I expect the engine to bog down when it hits boost if I do a quick test to disconnect the sensor? My smog test is soon, I need to fix the light asap. thankss

It will die if you don't have the MAF connected, the ecu will have no idea how much air is entering the engine, thus not know how much fuel to inject.

Back