CEL for EGR valve

ForesterES

:
2002 Protege ES
My '07 CX-7 is throwing a CEL, so I took it to Auto Zone to have the code read. They said it was a blocked EGR valve.

Before I spend $400 to replace the EGR, is it possible it could be some other portion of the EGR system? Or, is it possible to clean an EGR valve without replacing it?

Thanks!

Check your owners manual. I believe it is covered under the emissions warranty. Get back to us when you find out if it is covered.

The warranty manual specifically states the EGR valve and solenoid are only covered for 24/24,000.

So...any suggestions for fixing this on the cheap, or do I just bend over and pay?

Sorry to hear about the lack of coverage, since Mazda is redesigning the PVC system. Check on the TSB to see what is going on there. In addition; if after reading the TSB, you should call the factory service representative to see what Mazda will do for you. One does not expect a PCV to malfunction befor 80,000 miles if at all.

Forgot to add. I would clear the code and see if the MIL was a glitch. Sometimes it takes only a small piece of junk to cause the valve to malfunction and a good highway run may help. $400 is ridiculous for replacement cost in my opinion. Ed

Back