CEL and Traction control light on???

I was messing with my CAI and then when i started my car it started running rough, and the CEL and the traction control light came on and stayed on. I went to the auto store and they said it was a MAF sensor but why would the tractions control light be on then? I need help.

I take it you had the code run? What code came up? I've heard several stories where the traction control light came on for unrelated problems. In my case, the clamp holding the intake to the TIP was rubbing my ECU wiring harness which caused an issue (CEL + traction control light). I would check that first, then look up the code to see what it actually means and go from there.

I have this too! right now. i got codes p0097 & p0098. its driving me crazy! help! anyone! lol

zero help
(attention)
Google is your friend......

P0097: Intake Air Temp Sensor 2 Circuit Low
P0098: Intake Air Temp Sensor 2 Circuit high

Probably a bad sensor. I'm not sure why that would cause driveability issues though since it is merely a temp sensor. As stated in post #2, make sure your intake clamp isn't rubbing into the wiring harness as that can cause a short and affect driveability (as in my case). Now that you know what those codes mean, you can go from there.

I know what the codes are I just dont know what they mean. i dont want a "probably" anwser I need someone on here that is a mechanic and knows what they are talking about. I used "GOOGLE" already, i just thought maybe if i went on forums there might be someone that could go more in detail about this problem. isn't that why forums exist? to HELP each other?

Maybe you'd get more help if you stop acting like an asshole and realise people ARE trying to help you. Without looking at the actual car, there are any number of normal flow-chart problems that could lead to this code. Then there's the weird stuff that isn't in the manual, like the code/light inducing cut wires from uncareful placement of CAI/TIP clamps.

If there's even the slightest air leak at the MAF it can cause all kinds of issues, including major driveability problems. Make sure the MAF sensor is seated squarely and fully. Clean it with MAF cleaner if you haven't already. Disconnect the battery and see if the code reappears afterwards.

That enough help for you, yet?

As stated, there could be a multitude of problems. I WAS trying to help you out, but you'd rather act like a jerk because I didn't give you a defintive answer. Either you have a bad temp sensor or a electrical issue somewhere. I would vote for the first possibility. Could also be a MAF problem like Darth referenced. If you want a definitive answer, take it to a mechanic and have them diagnose the problem.

Hello. You say it was the clamp holding the intake to the TIP (turbo intercooler pipe?? ) and that was rubbing the ECU wiring harness. Do you mean the relay and fuse box under the bonnet on the right hand side? I am not exactly sure where you are looking.
I have had the lights come on for ages now. The performance is fine but it is annoying. I can turn them off with a cheap scanning tool but they will come back on within a day.I have checked and even replaced the EGR valve so that is not the problem. I found yr comments about the wiring and I hope you can clarify it for me
Thanks in advance
Kevin

Hey, Kevin. You probably did not notice that you replied to a post that was three years old! Chances are that OP and those who responded have long since moved on.

Even so, welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your question. Yes, a number of owners have experienced problems with fraying of ECU harness wires when messing with the clamps on the TIP. The box is the ECU. On American spec cars it is on the left side of the battery box. I don't know how the British version (wrong hand drive, lol) might look under the hood.

TIP to us is short for "Turbo Inlet Pipe." This is the small pipe that runs from the MAF housing to the turbo inlet. This is the "cold" side of the turbo compressor. This is the pre-turbo pipe, and not a part of the intercooler piping.

If we align the tightening screw on our TIP over in the direction of that black box and the harness, when the engine flexes on its mounts, it can rub the clamp screw against the wiring and call all sorts of mischief, depending on which wires happen to get the insulation rubbed off.

Please post the exact codes the scanner is reading, and maybe a photo of your engine bay. This might help.

Oh, gee. I now see that you have a Mazda 6 diesel! I don't think we even have those in the US. You may be in the wrong sub-forum. This is for Mazdaspeed 3 direct injected turbo gas engine cars. There could be a ton of differences between our engine bay layout and yours.

Last edited:
Mazda 6

Thank you for the reply. I hadn't noticed the date or the model D'Oh! I will have a look tomorrow and hopefully cure this annoying problem.

Best wishes from the UK, and from the other side of the road

Kevin

Hey, Kevin. You probably did not notice that you replied to a post that was three years old! Chances are that OP and those who responded have long since moved on.

Even so, welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your question. Yes, a number of owners have experienced problems with fraying of ECU harness wires when messing with the clamps on the TIP. The box is the ECU. On American spec cars it is on the left side of the battery box. I don't know how the British version (wrong hand drive, lol) might look under the hood.

TIP to us is short for "Turbo Inlet Pipe." This is the small pipe that runs from the MAF housing to the turbo inlet. This is the "cold" side of the turbo compressor. This is the pre-turbo pipe, and not a part of the intercooler piping.

If we align the tightening screw on our TIP over in the direction of that black box and the harness, when the engine flexes on its mounts, it can rub the clamp screw against the wiring and call all sorts of mischief, depending on which wires happen to get the insulation rubbed off.

Please post the exact codes the scanner is reading, and maybe a photo of your engine bay. This might help.

Oh, gee. I now see that you have a Mazda 6 diesel! I don't think we even have those in the US. You may be in the wrong sub-forum. This is for Mazdaspeed 3 direct injected turbo gas engine cars. There could be a ton of differences between our engine bay layout and yours.

Back