catalytic converter after exhaust manifold

Hi Folks,
In 2002, they did a mid-year update to the p5. I have the later one. I notice that it has 2 catalytic converters, one right after the exhaust manifold, and one further down in the exhaust line.

My question is about the cat attached to the exhaust manifold. I broke all 3 studs that are in the bottom of it. I removed the manifold & cat together, and am considering taking it to a machine shop to get the studs drilled out. The question is, how much would a new cat cost? If the machine shop is higher $ than the cat, I might as well just buy a new cat. None of the parts sites list this cat. Rockauto shows one cat (but I suspect is the rear cat). Autozone has 1 (and a photo) and it's definitely the rear cat.

ANy ideas? As cheap a part as possible that still passes emissions.. that's what I'm looking for!

Thanks,
Don Cab

A new cat (aftermarket) is going to run you several hundred dollars (there is one on RockAuto, part number 16220, that is about $260). Unfortunately, a new cat from the dealer is going to run at least $600 (yeah, cats are one of the most expensive things you'll ever have to buy for your car). Whatever you do, don't buy one of those crap eBay ones. From personal experience, I can tell you that you get what you pay for.

I would suggest you get the studs drilled out, and then just get some bolts to re-tighten the cat.

BTW, the cat near the manifold was unchanged between 2001 and 2003. The only cat that changed mid-year in 2002 was the one underneath the car.

Hey, thanks for the info. If I can get by for $260, I'll consider myself luck. I didn't know if that RockAuto part was the front or the rear cat.

Thanks,
DC

spend $200 on a header and be done with it...just my .02

not sure how tough emissions are where you live, though...

spend $200 on a header and be done with it...just my .02

not sure how tough emissions are where you live, though...
+2 on the header & the location. Mine has to do emissions testing & passes the computer every time but if you have hard core visual inspection they may hassle you about it.

Hey, thanks for the info. If I can get by for $260, I'll consider myself luck. I didn't know if that RockAuto part was the front or the rear cat.

Thanks,
DC

If you take the cat off yourself, I really don't think it would cost $260 to drill out those studs. If your cat is otherwise in good working order, I suggest that you do this first before you drop money on a new cat that, while is good quality, will still not quite measure up to the longevity of the OEM cat.

Thanks,
DC

The p/n for the front is 16220. I have it installed on my car, and I can tell you that it doesn't come with bottom studs - you just need to use bolts to fasten it to your J-Pipe.

afaik all three of those studs just screw out. maybe you can get them from mazda or a member with a used cat. or just get a used cat. don't waste money on new aftermarket or not.

afaik all three of those studs just screw out. maybe you can get them from mazda or a member with a used cat. or just get a used cat. don't waste money on new aftermarket or not.

While this is true, on a 7-year old car I'm thinking that the odds of them still screwing out is slim to none. He'll probably end up having to drill them out anyway, but it's worth a shot to see if they'll screw out.

I have perfectly working OEM CAT from my 2002 P5, if interested PM me with your offer and ZIP code so I can figure out shipping cost.

can u just drill them out larger and put a through bolt in there?? if theres room it doesnt have to be threaded into the cat.

Hello everyone just new here, hope to stay long.

Need help regarding magnaflow catalytic converter if its okay. I do some research and queries and I tried it here Magnaflow Catalytic Converter so I tried it here. Any suggestions? anyone I tried it here? Thanks

Magnaflow cats are high flow cats, versus either a stock one or the one listed above from rockauto, which is a replacement. It will do just fine.

I have not personally tried one, but have many people I know that have used them, no one has complained about them yet.

Not sure about that part number you found, this is the direct replacement one from Magnaflow, listed for 2002-03 Protege.
http://www.car-sound.com/02product/displaydirectfit01.asp?catalogid=25371&directfit=50854

I have looked everywhere trying to find a how-to change the front catalytic converter. Any help/suggestions out there? Thanks!

I have looked everywhere trying to find a how-to change the front catalytic converter. Any help/suggestions out there? Thanks!

its a good job but it does come apart in two ways i belive up top on the cat and the lower part of the cat on the j pipe side or you can just jack it high enough to slide it out all together

Not sure where OP is located but if in Houston,TX area or reasonably close, I have the oem s*** with no more than 10k on it before swapping to header if interested. Not gonna ship.

Thanks for the link smurfedpro5.

Anyone know if I need to remove everything that is removed for the header installation if I only want to exchange my stock catalytic converter for another stock catalytic converter? Seems like for the header there is way more things involved. Also, are there any gaskets that I need to replace when doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

2 bolts on air baffle, 3 bolts on heat shield. gets u access to 4 nuts on upper part of cat. jack car. 2 bolts on j-pipe heat shield. 3-4 bolts on bottom of cat ( working from memory) 2 bolts j pipe support to engine. 2 spring bolts jpipe to rest of exhaust. gaskets u can replace. 2 doughnut , and the cat needs metal gaskets top, and maybe bottom.

Thanks for the link smurfedpro5.

Anyone know if I need to remove everything that is removed for the header installation if I only want to exchange my stock catalytic converter for another stock catalytic converter? Seems like for the header there is way more things involved. Also, are there any gaskets that I need to replace when doing this? Any help would be appreciated.
Only things different about swapping in the header is adding nonfoulers to the 2nd o2 bung so no CEL & no heat shields to mess with.

Latest posts

Back