CAT solution?

bvines18

:
2000 protege LX
(help) I found out not too long ago that my cat is going bad. I believe the shop since I have 120k miles on the original and my CEL is on for warmup catylist. My question is what should I do about it? Should I gut it and hope I dont get caught, replace it with OEM, or replace it with a high flow that I read about when I first got the news.

you can always gut it out and put a spark plug defouler on the downstream 02 sensor to offset the fuel/air readings. you still have a post-cat in the exhaust so it is still considered "legal" or you could go the header route and do the same thing. gutting out the cat isn't very hard to do at all...probably takes an hour.

Seems a bit odd to me I have 260k+ on my protege and the cat is just fine. I'd take the cat off and take a look before buying anything

Thanks for the info. I plan on getting under the car and taking it off soon and looking at it closely before buying. If I were to replace, is it worth the extra money for a high flow? It seems to be twice as much money, so it would really need to be an improvement to make it worth the money.

^^^^Improved performance will depend on what exhaust mods you already have. If it is stock and you have no intentions of upgrading then I would forego the high flow cat.

There is not a high flow precat, that option is for the main cat. Precat doesn't do s*** anyways. You have a few options

Ignore it

Non fouler trick and be done with it ( I went this route, rotten egg smell now and them though)

Non fouler and gut the pre cat

Non fouler with eBay header to delete the pre cat.

eBay header or pre cat gut with downstream sensor moved to behind the main cat, this is the way it should be done but who has time for that?

Pull the cel bulb and hope nothing else goes bad, I don't advise this one but it's still an option

We have 2 cats on our cars pre cat is the only one moniterd and is only there to work until the main cat warms up and gets to full efficiency hence the name warm up catalyst. In my part of va we don't have emissions tests, just basic make sure it's not gona fall apart this year tests, you should be fine

Back