Cartridge Filter Dilemma

WOW. $39.95 + Shipping and maybe sales Tax is sort of expensive. I probably will stick with the OEM cartridge for awhile. My first oil change did not present any filter problems and it took me a bit longer to go through the O-Ring regiment but, next time will be much quicker. My feeling is the cartride style may help the enviorment but, the real green is to the filter manufactures $$ in pocket. The stand alone cartridge is about the same price as a steel caned spin-on.

Actually Ed, you can get spin-ons at Walt-Mart way cheaper than the cartrige we use. So you are definitely right....charge more $$$ for less! Win-win!

I just paid $5.39 for a WIX cartridge filter at Bumper to Bumper auto. My local Advanced Auto Parts wants $7.xx for a PureOne cartridge and $6.xx for a std. Purolator. My Mazda dealer wants $7.xx for a MC Mazda cartridge. I also can get WIXs for $3.xx + shipping at Fleet Filter but, shipping cost require that I purchase ~ 8 filters (cartridges) to be economical. At this point in time I will continue with the cartridge and the hassle that goes with it. i will consider changing to the spin-on in the future.

erhayes,

Good question! I just bought a WIX filter and it is slighty taller and wider than the Mazda part.

Can any one answer Ed's question?
Also, what is the part number from WIX? Anyone used this replacement part?

Thanks!

Rick
WIX is the best filter on the market IMHO. NAPA's gold series filters are also the common WIX. I use to be a Fram guy until I saw a display with several differnet filter cut open.

I just paid $5.39 for a WIX cartridge filter at Bumper to Bumper auto. My local Advanced Auto Parts wants $7.xx for a PureOne cartridge and $6.xx for a std. Purolator. My Mazda dealer wants $7.xx for a MC Mazda cartridge. I also can get WIXs for $3.xx + shipping at Fleet Filter but, shipping cost require that I purchase ~ 8 filters (cartridges) to be economical. At this point in time I will continue with the cartridge and the hassle that goes with it. i will consider changing to the spin-on in the future.

Get the cartridge filter from online, 5:75~ is their price, or buy bulk. I forgot which sponsor here has a 10-pack deal, comes out to about ~5 each i think, and they throw in the filter wrench adapter to boot.

Oops, just read you get WIX for 3-something. That's a good deal. But you don't want to buy in bulk... ^^'

Last edited:
For those of you who are just starting to read this thread. You really need to read the complete discussion to see the history and conclusions. The WIX cartridge # is 57203. To date, the cartridges that appear to not have any distortion issues are: OEM Mazda, OEM MC-Mazda, WIX, Napa Gold and Purolators with the center tube support. I believe this is correct and do you agree Rick CX-7? Ed

I agree up to the Purolators! I know they twist, but I think it's mainly the PureOne and not the regular Premium Plus. Either way, I'd go with Mazda or Wix!

Twisted Mazda oil filter made by Motorcraft

Hey guys,

I changed my oil yesterday. I'm still pissed as I forgot to collect a sample of the used oil for analysis. Anyway, I wasn't sure I wanted to use the Wix filter I had bought over a week ago, so I stopped at the local Mazda dealer and picked up an oil filter. Well, this "OEM" filter is new.....it isn't the usual all white filter made in Japan. The new part is made in the US by Motorcraft. The filter media doesn't look the same and overall quality seems like it took a bit of a plunge.

The Wix is 2-3mm taller....the sealing gasket on top make it that much taller. It also seems like better quality media wise. The Wix filter also has more filtering surface.

This is the new Mazda filter....Made by Motorcraft, part # FL2017B.

Lastly, I wanted to see if the Wix would have this twisting problem, so I installed it and torqued the cap down. I took the cap back off and checked the filter out. No problems whatsoever. We'll see what it looks like when I pull it out.

Rick

Guys,

I just drained the oil on my CX-7. For oil filter, I had used the Motorcraft filter shown above. When I pulled it out today, this is what it looked like:

Keep in mind, this is the new Mazda oil filter, made by Motorcraft bought at the dealer, which now includes a center support core. Again, refer to my own post quoted above.

For a replacement, I bought yet another Wix, since the last one I used was in perfect condition.

Rick

Thanks Rick for the picture & information. I thought the MC made filters for the CX7 had a center support. The origional Mazda made filter did not have a center support and had no deformation issues. I have and will use a WIX cartridge for my upcomming oil change in about 3 weeks. I will report my findings at that timebut, don't know how to show a picture yet. Ed

Ed,

The Motorcraft made filter DOES have a center support, still that didn't prevent the filter from twisting. I installed a Wix, just like the one shown above.
To be honest, I don't think the center support is going to help this issue. The filters are "twisting"......not collapsing. I think the twisting is happening when you put the filter cap back on. This seems like a length issue to me.

Hmmmm. You might very well be correct Rick, or maybe a combination of length & crushable media. I will surly oil both end caps when I install my next filter in hopes of reducing the twisting compression friction during cap down tighting. Ed

Just did my 12,000 mile oil & filter change. The original Mazda filter (not MC)was undistorted upon removal after the 6,000 mile ride with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone laboratory for analysis and will report when I get the results. Ed.

Yes I will Post the UOA results. Unfortunately I still don't know how to transpose the actual data sheet so it may be a hand typed version. Leaving for vacation May 13 and won't return till late May. Visiting my son & brother in Northern Illinois and in Iowa.

Just changed oil again @ 23,000 miles. Have been using the Purolator Pureone
filters. This one also came out distorted as shown in my post #15 page one of this thread. These first two Purolator filters did not have the internal coil support. The one I installed this time was the newer style which included the support, we will see if this eliminates the issue.

Ed, look forward to seeing your UOA

Twisted Filters

Did my 2nd oil change on a 2.3 in an '08 M3 GT and removed the filter which was a Motorcraft ZZCA-23-802 purchased from the local Mazda dealer.To my surprise, it was twisted, and I will post a pic after I retrieve it from the trash bin. The original filter (Mazda) was not twisted, and I installed a Mazda L321-14-302-9U filter, and won't know till next oil change how the Mazda replacement fairs out. Just thought I would let you know that the problem is not CX 7 specific. (dunno)

I have made a point to generously oil the sealing surfaces on both ends of the cartridge before inserting it into the can. I feel that part of the twisting type distortion may be due to high frictional forces needed to screw the filter can cap down. I'm beginning to question whether the internal support helps with the twisting distortion since all the internal supports I've seen are shorter than the cartridge. The internal support may be an extra safety to prevent media collapsing? Would like to hear from Rick's CX-7, Zoom49 and others about my thoughts. Ed

I'm beginning to question whether the internal support helps with the twisting distortion since all the internal supports I've seen are shorter than the cartridge.
Yes I noticed that the support is shorter than the cartridge. I think your idea to pre lube the end caps can only help, but question weather the distortion
occurs at installation as at that time the filter is dry and fairly ridgid. The tension spring inside the cap applies a good deal of pressure on the filter to keep it seated to the engine block. I think it might be this tension on a hot wet filter that cause issues with some filters.(uhm)

I think between the pressure put on the filter by the compressed spring plus the frictional forces when turning the cap, the filter is unable to prevent twisting. There is nothing there to prevent the media from twisting. The center core, in my opinion does nothing because the filter would never collapse straight down. I think you are right on Ed, lube the end gaskets real good to prevent some of the friction. Also, I think if they made the cartridge ~2mm smaller, the problem would be solved or greatly alleviated.

Rick

Back